Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

ashlyntheordinary July 13th, 2020

@healingWhisper

Ayyy! This is amazing! :D The army of meditors are growing stronger :P but on a serious level, it's a good personality to have and it shows that you're always there for people when they need you :)

lyricalAngel70 July 10th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters, please

INFJ-A, Advocate.

I learned that this personality type is very rare with comprising less than 1% of the population which means I am a rare species & I am feeling extremely special right now. :P

-Jokes apart, I learned that majority of the things are so accurate in my case. For instance, egalitarianism & karma being attractive ideas. Believing that nothing would help the world so much as using love & compassion to soften the hearts of tyrants.

-Relationships with me are not for the uncommitted or shallow people.

-Quality prevails over quantity for me in everything.

-I seek mental & spiritual connection rather than physical.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

For me, they are:

Inspiring & convincing - Fluid, inspirational writing style that appeals to the inner idealist in their audience. I personally believe that I can convince people and I can inspire them with not only my actions but also with my words. I am convinced that my actions, beliefs, words are that powerful.

Decisive & insightful - I am truly able to follow through my ideas with conviction, willpower & planning wherever necessary to see a complex project through to the end. I can see through dishonesty & disingenuous motives. My in-depth observing trait lets me see the connection between people & events so I use this trait to help me help others with their problems.

Determined & passionate - I pursue my goals with tremendous energy & faith that can catch others off-guard. My passion for the chosen cause is an inseparable part of me and I am proud of my all the strength.

I am working on my weaknesses day & night.

glisteningEyes July 11th, 2020

@lyricalAngel70

It's always good to feel special :D

working on your weaknesses is great but don't forget to appreciate your strengths too!

lyricalAngel70 July 11th, 2020

@glisteningEyes

I couldn't agree more! :D

I definitely appreciate my strengths. Thank you for that reminder though.

Vintagechoc September 22nd, 2020

"working on your weaknesses is great but don't forget to appreciate your strengths too!" That's really important

QuietMagic July 13th, 2020

@lyricalAngel70 I also got INFJ and what you mention about preferring deep, meaningful relationships and quality over quantity definitely resonated for me too.

I read your strengths section and started imagining a superhero. Slightly smiling Especially the part about being able to write or do things and have that be something incredibly potent that can transform your surroundings. It feels like it makes even small actions super-charged with meaning/significance. (Sort of like Godzilla is so powerful that a sneeze might wipe out a forest.)

lyricalAngel70 July 13th, 2020

@QuietMagic

Hi partner, glad to know that we share so many things in common.

What are the other things in relation to the INFJ personality that was accurate about you?

Hahaha, well, your superhero comment did make me chuckle. 🤭

But you do have a creative mind and ideas which brings me to the very first strenth of INFJ personality & I agree. 😊

The thing is that I have an influencing tendency. My active & positive vibe attracts people. And I am so proud of it cuz I've inspired so many people already by my actions & words.

QuietMagic July 13th, 2020

@lyricalAngel70

Thanks for the kind words. That influencing tendency sounds like something really meaningful and satisfying, to deeply trust that what you do is having a positive effect on the world around you. Is creating that positive vibe something you've always felt you're naturally able to do, or is it something that's developed over time?

Re: what else I relate to in INFJ, I apologize that this is a non-sequitur, but what feels sort of urgent to me right now or where my mind wants to go with that question... is to express how I relate to the idea of "INFJ" as a concept/identity. There are a few different ways I might possibly think about it:

1. To say that I am essentially/permanently an INFJ
  2. To say that I am sometimes an INFJ but sometimes other MBTI types
  3. To say that I'm not any MBTI type but there are MBTI dimensions (e.g. introversion/extraversion, intuition/sensation, etc.) on which I vary
  4. To say that there are neither MBTI types nor dimensions, but they are useful ways of describing patterns or one can draw inspiration/benefit from them
  5. To say that there are neither MBTI types nor dimensions, and I feel happier discarding them in favor of other language

Most of the time, I'm in #4 or #5.

• In #4, reading an INFJ description feels sort of like reading a novel and there being a fictional character that I like and feel attached to. They're fictional, but it could still be extraordinarily helpful to identify with them. Reading about them could help me grow, heal, or understand my own experience.
  • In #5, I start reading the novel and it doesn't feel like something I enjoy, so I put it down and read a different novel. Or if I can't find anything I like, I write my own novel and make my own characters that I like.

@WatchingOverYou

Have you taken the test already? If you haven't, you must as this is so interesting! 😍

Please let us all know about your amazing personality. 😎

TogetherForeverAlways July 13th, 2020

@lyricalAngel70

I haven't yet, perhaps in the past, a similar kind of test... Nevertheless, I am really eager to take the test, yes!

Sure thing, I'll post the results 😋😎

@WatchingOverYou

Alright, sure, please do!

We are eagerly waiting. ❤

TogetherForeverAlways September 23rd, 2020

@lyricalAngel70

Brilliant, twinnie! 😀😀😁😁🤩🤩

TogetherForeverAlways September 23rd, 2020

@WatchingOverYou

PS - Also, you might wanna check on my answers, I just posted it as I'm getting ahead with the LDP.

Destiny00 November 21st, 2020

@lyricalAngel70

Hi5 angel, I too am a fellow infj advocate and can relate a lot 🤭🤭

Skyglider July 10th, 2020

@GlenM

This is a fun way to start a work day! :)

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

Miediator - INFP-T

Mediators are good listeners, and take on roles that appeal and have "purity of intent" rather than based on recognition and reward. We're creative and strongly desire to understand our purpose in the world. I have to watch how much energy I invest into something - Mediators will focus their attention on just a few people, a single worthy cause – spread too thinly, theyll run out of energy, and even become dejected and overwhelmed by all the bad in the world that they cant fix. This is a sad sight for Mediators friends, who will come to depend on their rosy outlook. I have to watch if I go into "hermit mode". And I look at the world with a view that inspires compassion, kindness and beauty.

Creative

Idealistic

Dedicated and hard-working; open-minded and flexible

Skyglider July 10th, 2020

And wow... does the explanation of the turbulent mediator ever strike a chord with me....

Turbulent personality types are typically not comfortable with their current lives. They often use this dissatisfaction to try to become better people. However, when applied to Mediators, this Turbulent quality spins them in a distinct direction. They are likely to use a strongly idealistic filter to assess where and how they need to improve. This drive to correct what they decide are flaws often pushes them to work hard.

But idealism is a demanding standard. Turbulent Mediators are apt to ask too much of themselves and become overwhelmed. When they dont meet their unyielding (perhaps at times unreasonable) goals, they are likely to be hard on themselves. Self-criticism rings true for any Turbulent individual. But, for these personalities, their imaginations and sensitivity may magnify the damage caused by negative self-talk. Even the smallest flaw may seem more significant than it is. They are more likely to see a mistake as a reason to doubt themselves.

Opinions weigh more heavily on Turbulent Mediators. Having concern for what others think is a typical quality in most Turbulent personality types. But Turbulent Mediators may feel this concern more deeply. Combine their Turbulent nature, the sensitivity that is a core feature of their type, and their ever-changing interests, and together, these features leave them always checking in with others. They often seek the views of the people in their lives to quiet or confirm their nagging doubts.

As people-centric individuals with lingering uncertainty, Turbulent Mediators naturally go to others for encouragement and feedback. Since they value opinions, these personalities are also more likely to take note when people speak. Both types of Mediators tend to see themselves as good listeners, but valuing others opinions likely adds to Turbulent Mediators ability to pay attention.

July 10th, 2020

@WonderfulRainbows2862

As a fellow Turbulent Mediator, this really hit home for me as well!

Ivy 🐑

@WonderfulRainbows2862

I'm also an INFP-T

The descriptions of it gave me goosebumps!

Your outlook on it was refreshing to read :)

LexIris July 11th, 2020

@WonderfulRainbows2862 As a Turbulent Mediator, I can strongly relate to this. I'm always trying to improve myself. And my interests are never constant. Never ever ever 😂 I also rely too much on what people think of me. It's kinda comforting to see that there are others out there who also feel the same way I do

~ Lex ☀️ | Take careo and eat oreos 👋🏿❤️🍪

TheMetanoia July 10th, 2020

@WonderfulRainbows2862 you too twinny 😁

shiningDay80 July 10th, 2020

My personality type is ISFP-T/ Turbulent Adventurer

Main things Ive learned about myself is that I am not good at long-term planning, which is true. I tend to let my significant other do the long-term planning, which he does. I got a laugh out of that! I have an artistic mind and love to visualize things. I am an introvert but am lively around loved ones. Sometimes, I have to recharge when I spend a lot of time with others. I like jobs where I can have freedom and be creative. When I become a therapist, I will do just that, within the code of ethics of course.

My top Strengths:

-Charming, Im relaxed and warm, making me likable and popular.

-Sensitive to others, I easily relate to others emotions

-Imaginative, I use creativity and insight to create ideas that can help me in a lot of ways.

@shiningDay80

I love that you got a laugh out of it :D

Your descrpition was lovely to read too, Charming is a lovely strength to have!

AstronomySkies July 12th, 2020

@shiningDay80

Hey! Those are some very lovely strengths to have smiley

Robin7cups July 10th, 2020

Infj-t :3

@Robin7cups

What was your 3 strengths & what did you learn from it? :)

smolecho July 10th, 2020

@GlenM

Oooh, I remember taking this test all throughout my years in high school! I never can remember what I am, though :P

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters, please!

ESFP-T (The Entertainer)

Not necessarily new- but I dedicate a lot of time to others (encouraging, entertaining, etc) and that time is extremely well spent

Celebrities with the same personality type:
Marilyn Monroe
Elton John
Steve Irwin
Adam Levine
Adele

Strengths:

Bold – Entertainers arent known for holding back. Wanting to experience everything there is to experience, people with the Entertainer personality type dont mind stepping out of their comfort zones when no one else is willing.
Original – Traditions and expectations are secondary to Entertainers if a consideration at all. Entertainer personalities love to experiment with new styles, and constantly find new ways to stick out in the crowd.
Excellent People Skills – More so than things though, Entertainers love to pay attention to people. They are talkative, witty, and almost never run out of things to discuss. For people with this personality type, happiness, and satisfaction stem from the time they spend with the people they enjoy being with.

Weaknesses:

Sensitive – Entertainers (especially Turbulent ones) are strongly emotional and very vulnerable to criticism – they can feel like theyve been backed into a corner, sometimes reacting badly. This is probably Entertainers greatest weakness because it makes it so hard to address any other weaknesses brought to light.
Easily Bored – Without constant excitement, Entertainers find ways to create it themselves. Risky behavior, self-indulgence, and the pleasures of the moment over long-term plans are all things Entertainers get into a little too often.
Unfocused – Anything that requires long-term dedication and focus is a particular challenge for Entertainers. In academics, dense, unchanging subjects like Classic Literature are much more difficult than more dynamic, relatable subjects like psychology. The trick for Entertainers is to find day-to-day joy in broader goals and to tough it out with those tedious things that must be done.

This was super interesting! I wouldn't agree with some of the strengths and weaknesses, but I think the whole test is super interesting!

@smolecho

I like that you added in the celebrities with the same personality type! :)

If you feel like some of it wasn't accurate the maybe take the test again and see if you get the same or a different result?

peacefulWarrior10 September 11th, 2020

@smolecho

I feel I have similar personality traits but I'm ENFP-T.

Interesting!!

Ethan May 10th, 2021

@smolecho Hey Echo! Wow, July 2020... I have gone through this thread to find anybody with the same personality type as me and you were the latest I found... Crazy! It's nice to find someone with the same personality type, though.

July 10th, 2020

@GlenM

Turbulent Advocate INFJ-T

I have learned so many things about myself and this type of personality, including how rare it is! As mentioned, I tend to search for deeper connections with the people close to me, and I am able to connect with people on an emotional level.

Strengths:

Creative – Combining a vivid imagination with a strong sense of compassion, Advocates use their creativity to resolve not technical challenges, but human ones. People with the Advocate personality type enjoy finding the perfect solution for someone they care about. This strength makes them excellent counselors and advisors.

Insightful – Seeing through dishonesty and disingenuous motives, Advocates step past manipulation and sales tactics and into a more honest discussion. Advocate personalities see how people and events are connected. They are then able to use that insight to get to the heart of the matter.

Inspiring and Convincing – Speaking in human terms, not technical, Advocates have a fluid, inspirational writing style that appeals to the inner idealist in their audience. Advocates can even be astonishingly good orators, speaking with warmth and passion. This is especially true if they are proud of what they are speaking for.

Weaknesses:

Sensitive – When someone challenges or criticizes Advocates principles or values, they are likely to receive an alarmingly strong response. People with the Advocate personality type are highly vulnerable to criticism and conflict. Questioning their motives is the quickest way to their bad side.

Extremely Private – Advocates tend to present themselves as the culmination of an idea. This is partly because they believe in this idea, but also because Advocates are extremely private when it comes to their personal lives. They use this image to keep themselves from having to truly open up, even to close friends. Trusting a new friend can be even more challenging for Advocates.

Perfectionistic – Advocate personalities are all but defined by their pursuit of ideals. While this is a wonderful quality in many ways, an ideal situation is not always possible – in politics, in business, in romance. Advocates, especially Turbulent ones, too often drop or ignore healthy and productive situations and relationships, always believing there might be a better option down the road.

This was honestly a really great experience! I took this test a while back but I didn't read through the results much. Now that I have read, and learned many new things about me, I can definitely understand myself and purpose better.

cocoakrispies121 July 11th, 2020

@anonymouslistener23 I really love that you listed your weakness too. This was really well written!

@anonymouslistener23

Learning about ourselves can be a challange but it's also rewarding!

Your description was lovely though, listing your weaknesses takes strength to do, so if you think about it, weakness shows us our strength too :)

July 11th, 2020

@glisteningEyes

That truly is a great way to think of it. By accepting and acknowledging your weaknesses, you're showing strength. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. I hope you have a great day/night!

LexIris July 12th, 2020

@anonymouslistener23 Anonyyy!! I'm a Turbulent Mediator (INFP-T) so we have a bunch in common but not everything. I guess I know you a bit better now 😁

~ Lex ☀️ | Take careo and eat oreos 👋🏿❤️🍪

July 12th, 2020

@LexIris

That is a great personality type! :0 I think I know you a bit better too now :0 let's nom everyone 😈 *noms INFP-T people* 😌

MonicaQu July 10th, 2020

@GlenM

Hey everyone so it is time for me to answer

So I am an Advocate INFJ-A / INFJ-T

I learned that the creative part of me is because of my personality because in my jobs they always comment on how creative I am.

As a teacher I guess I am fulfilling that part by helping others. At the same time I am sensitive to what others say. In my workplace I find that I get along with everyone and a quiet personality like when I am comfortable I end up talking a lot. I know that feeling like after a busy day of classes and being around people all day wanting to have some ME time.

I remember when I was 19 years old (I'm 33 now), my goal was to study Spanish and visit South America. Spanish and Latin American culture has always been my passion. My last boss said I was the only one he knew in his life who followed their dreams. These last 6 years have gone by quickly (actually I also joined 7cups in 2014 as well), after arriving Ecuador in 2014 I'm still here. I do hope to share about my experiences when I get back to New Zealand.

So my top three strengths are

Creative: that is something that my workplaces often comment about how always I'm coming up with new ideas especially as a teacher. I lke to find solutions to things about people and concepts I care about. I did start out studying Psychology but my passion was Anthropology and Languages, kind of the same I guess!

Insightful : So I see through the intentions of others easily and believe in honest discussions. I do often connect different things together that is what makes me good at Art, Language, Sport, Science..too many things that I had to choose from.

Inspiring and Convincing: I do hope to do that with my students they definitely had a good year with me. I do like to speak about things I'm passionate for funny enough before my biggest fear was speaking in public so when I started Toastmasters all my ideas really inspired others yet, again all were about Latin America. So, was happy to earn a trophy of being the most improved public speaker in Wellington.

@MonicaQu

I really loved reading this! Following your dreams is awesome :D

Toastmasters was something I was looking into doing, what has your experience with them been like?

WarriorPrincess16 July 11th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type?

My personality type is ENFJ-T

I was really surprised that there was such little difference between my percentage of extrovert and introvert!! I know that in the past, I used to be the bookworm and more on the quiet side, so I can find myself often relating to introverts. However, I've been extroverted for quite a while, so I expected to rank more as an extrovert. This is the main surprise!

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test?

My top 3 strengths are that I am reliable, altruistic, and natural leader. These are the ones I most strongly identify with, and I'm honestly surprised that the website was able to be so accurate!

One of my strengths is perseverance - my desire to fulfill the hopes and expectations of others and to not give up no matter what. As a result, I can generally be considered a reliable person.

I've never thought of myself as altruistic before, but I guess it makes sense. I love creating new things, small 'products' and 'gadgets' that solve problems, and finding solutions for problems that affect a lot of people - and (cliche alert) seeing their positive reactions to those solutions - is amazing. On another subject, I tend to put others before me, as I want others to feel that positivity and happiness that I find within myself. I'm not sure if I'm completely altruistic, but perhaps, I am, just a bit at least.

The last strength is being a natural leader. Now, I probably sound really egoistic and over-confident, but it was the one that I could relate to a bit. I don't think I'm a better leader than others, because I know many others who are amazing leaders and public speakers. But I do use the phrase "Be brave for a minute". I have stage fright, and a fear of disappointing others, so 'leading' others can be scary and frightening. But when I remember that phrase, I push myself slightly out of my comfort zone and I do my best. Coupled with my perseverance, I guess I can be more of a 'natural leader' at times.

[I don't know if anybody read this, since there's over 2 pages of comments already?! But if you did, thanks for reading, and I sincerely hope that you have an amazing day! 💕 💕 ]

cocoakrispies121 July 11th, 2020

@WarriorPrincess16

I really love your strengths and how you explained them!! Have an amazing day too!

@WarriorPrincess16

Perserverence is a wondeful strength to have!

I'm the opposite of you & I'm 'too' altruistic haha

I like the 'be brave for a minute' I may have to rememeber that one :)