Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Systems vs. Goals (Discussion 4)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

Welcome to our 4th discussion in this first course. In todays discussion, we will be talking about systems vs. goals.

To start, please read this post here  and watch this video.

The basic argument here is that having a system is better than having a goal. A system is a way of behaving that helps you move towards accomplishing something. A goal is usually and end state that happens after you have accomplished something. I think eating healthy is a good example. A goal might be to lose 10 pounds. In this case, you feel kind of bad about yourself until you hit that goal; and then, once you hit it, you kind of lose the purpose because the goal has been reached. If you relapse and gain wait again, then you fall back into feeling bad about yourself again. Contrast this with a system of eating healthy. A system might include things like: having a big glass of water prior to each meal; eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and nuts; not eating after 9pm; and/or doing some level of intermittent fasting. You wouldnt integrate all of these new healthy eating behaviors at once. Instead, youd gradually introduce one and then another and then another over whatever period of time makes sense. The system enables you to continuously get healthier and healthier. You will eventually reach the goal, but itll be the byproduct of eating healthy.

Another example might be education. I dont really care all that much about grades for my kids. I mostly want them to learn and enjoy learning. We talk about what they learn, we draw things, they make their own educational videos, they explain things to me in their own words etc. I want them to have a system of learning and refining their perspective on things. If they have this system, then having good grades will be a natural result of enjoying learning.

This also has implications for 7 Cups as well. We might have goals of having a certain amount of group support messages or 1:1 messages. Those are fine goals to have, but we mostly want to create a system of support where people care for one another and then the natural result is an increased number of messages. Or, zooming back, think about this leadership development program. We could have an arbitrary goal of training a certain number of new leaders to serve our community; or we can co-create a system - this leadership development program - that helps people become leaders. The natural consequence of the program will be a higher number of trained, competent, and strong leaders that can better support our community. Â

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Yourstruly2000 July 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

They system i want to set up for myself is to not be too giving to others, dont get me wrong, i love giving my all in order to help others, but sometimes i tend to overgive , which quite naturally drains me, so i want to work towards changing that

The three things i would like to improve myself on would be firstly , fix my commitment phobia, i tend to lose interest or focus too soon too fast and cant keep at something for long , i want to improve that.

Second would be expecting too much from people, expectations are good but i want to keep that to a minimum, so that it doesn't cause me more harm then needed

Thirdly, i would love to improve my interaction skills, which I believe i am already doing with these posts and by participating in group chats, so yea thats something positive!!

thank you❤️,

@yourstruly200

Helpingsoul98 August 29th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000

That's honestly great! I am sure you will be successful in implementing your new system! :) I have the same issue when it comes to expecting a lot from others, so I relate to you on that.

shiningSound31 September 12th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000

I agree with you. Self-care is as important as helping others. We can't help and care for others if we don't care for ourselves.

I wish you the best in your journey.

With Love,

shiningSound31

generousDiamond35 October 13th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000

All the best with your journey. I am sure you will be able to implement these practices. Much power and strength to you!!

lyricalAngel70 November 16th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000

Lovely it! ❤

Thank you for sharing with all of us.

KristinHelps March 15th, 2021

@Yourstruly2000 I have to agree with you on some things, I tend to also give into others too much. I'd also like to improve on my interaction skills!

thisisirene March 23rd, 2021

@Yourstruly2000 that's awesome, I'm proud of you

peacefulIris56 May 9th, 2021

@Yourstruly2000

Those self-defined boundaries are really important for your happiness and success.

Brinaa101 June 3rd, 2021

@Yourstruly2000

I also want to improve my interaction skills and your tip of talking more in chats is a really good plan! :)

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@Yourstruly2000

Wow, I really liked your post. I read it and I just realized that you have put in words the way I feel sometimes. Thank you so much for your amazing post!

TheGoodHeartedBuddy September 5th, 2021

@Yourstruly2000
I definitely believe these are some amazing goals to have. It's always great to recognize your own priorities and create balances in your life!

yourfriend5 October 8th, 2021

@Yourstruly2000

I need to stop being over emotional

Three things to improve myself are stick to my commitment, anxiety and social phobia

ASilentBunny March 22nd, 2022

I definitely do need to set up a key system in my life! I should actually write down a task list everyday of stuff that I want to succeed. By doing that, I will be able to reflect to my progress and what needs to be changed. Furthermore, it will help me to stay motivated and keep going! I would also love to repeat nice stuff to myself throughout the day as what we think in our minds will eventually become what we believe. Finally, I should also take breaks every now and then so I can have some self-care and reflect to my progress and achievements! We all need and deserve to take breaks and treat ourselves with kindness and respect!

DylanletterR July 24th, 2020

@GlenM

A system a need to set up is keep track and actually doing my testosterone shot on time 😂

Three steps to get there:

1. Set a timer/alarm weekly as a reminder

2. Have my supplies out in view more

3. Use a calendar or a planner to keep track of it

shiningDay80 July 28th, 2020

@DylanletterR

I keep a planner/agenda for everything! It has helped me a lot with keeping up with things that need to be done or something I need to plan. Good luck, you got this!

DylanletterR July 29th, 2020

@shiningDay80

I used to use planners all the time actually! In a way, I am glad that I am back to doing planners because when you do something and cross it off when done, it is super satisfying!! Thanks

@shiningDay80
That's a great way to be consistent and productive!

KristinHelps March 15th, 2021

@DylanletterR I agree with your goals for organization! I love setting reminders but it'd be helpful having a planner or calendar.

@DylanletterR calendars are great!

Brinaa101 June 3rd, 2021

@DylanletterR

I find that using a planner helps me stay more organized so I agree with you! It's nice to have everything laid out for you so you know what you need to get done.

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@DylanletterR

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing! I love the fact that you have shared something personal as one of your goals. It makes this place feel more like home! :) <3

@Andyallen
I definitely agree!

azuladragon34 July 9th, 2020

@GlenM

I loved watching the video. Both were very insightful. I have been setting goals all my life and I have never reached them. Therefore I will have a system. The key system to succeeding in life is to not having the pressure to achieving these long term goals. The three behaviours I will implement are removing the pressure from achieving long term goals, creating baby steps and basically attaining the baby steps slowly by learning new skills, new knowledge etc throughout my life and learning from my mistakes

@azuladragon34

It's great to see that you keep an interest in learning and that you keep the patience of going through this process.

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@azuladragon34

Hello! Andy over here! I feel the same way you do about the video. I am so grateful for it and I feel like it was really helpful! :)

CheeryMango July 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?

*To be proud of the progress that I am making

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

* Stick to a schedule

*Practice gratitude and be grateful of how far I have come

*Never settle for less

LittleBirdie30 July 25th, 2020

@CheeryMango I love this!

CheeryMango July 25th, 2020

@LittleBirdie30 thank you 😊

September 11th, 2020

You brought. Up some really good points there .@CheeryMango

September 11th, 2020

You brought. Up some really good points there .@CheeryMango

September 12th, 2020

Those are some good things to adopt in your life. @CheeryMango

Brinaa101 June 3rd, 2021

@CheeryMango

I agree with you! Practicing gratitude is so underrated, yet so important because it helps us see the things we take for granted and allows us to be grateful for all that we have.

JennMarie2 July 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

This was such a thoughtful read and watch and it really made me think! Every year, I set a goal for myself to lose a certain amunt of weight. Usually, I hit it. But if I don't, I become really discouraged. In this mindset, a goal wouldn't be appropriate. A system of eating healthy and exercising would me more useful in helping me accomplish what I want. Consistently eating right, exercising, and drinking enough water are integral parts of my system that will help me to continue that lifestyle even after I have reached the "goal."

@JennMarie2

Yes. The lifestyle change is so necessary and important.

tessie855 July 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?

I need to set up a system of studying properly in order to achieve my academic goals instead of just focusing on the goals.

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

- Taking regular studying breaks

- Making studying more interesting through a mix of youtube videos and talking about what I learned with my friends

- Balancing my academics with my personal life through setting a time limit for my studies every day.

Grace8402 July 24th, 2020

@tessie855

That's awesome! I hope you see progress. All the best!

tessie855 July 25th, 2020

@Grace8402

Thank you!! :)

LittleBirdie30 July 25th, 2020

@tessie855 I need to remember these!!

generousDiamond35 October 13th, 2020

@tessie855

Sounds great! All the best for your wonderful journey! 😁

@tessie855 breaks are awesome, they help us with that overwhelming feeling: )