Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #7) How to Provide Feedback

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Now that we've learned about how to receive feedback, let's talk about how to provide feedback!

Please watch this video.

- What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

- Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Petrichor2000 September 7th, 2020

What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

micro - yes, data words, Specificity, show impact, wrap it up in a question.

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

I can improve upon Specificity, showing impact and wrapping it up in a question.

- Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

It is important because to progress and to get better at something, regular feedback is a must.

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 8th, 2020

@Heather225

What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

🌸 The four part formula: The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question

Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself?

🌸 The micro-yes part of the formula.

Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

🌸 It's important because we are learning daily and no one is perfect. By facilitating a healthy feedback culture, we help create a space for growth and improvement for others too

herealways27 April 6th, 2021

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22

Agree! I also look forward to improving on the micro-yes!

JaimieF September 8th, 2020

- What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

I love this formula! Start with a "micro-yes" question, give a specific example, share the effect, and end with an open-ended question.

I think I do pretty well in giving feedback and following these steps. What I want to do is be extra mindful of the next times I give feedback and notice what I do for each step.

Feedback is how we learn! We need to be able to give it and be open to receiving it!

Irena0225 September 9th, 2020

1. The micro-yes

2. Datapoint

3. Show impact

4. End on a question

I feel like I could improve on end on a question because I am always eager to make a quick impact on people, so before he or she gives me a confirmation answer, I will not end to give more and more feedbacks.

We appreciate everyone's work here on 7 Cups, but that does not mean everyone's work is great on 7 Cups. Everyone needs to learn online, and it's impossible to organize such a large group to become professional. However, just small feedback from others can make a big impact! Feedbacks make us learn quicker and make the whole community be more motivated.

Listeningsarinn September 30th, 2020

@Irena0225

there was a part of your answer that felt really important to me... you mentioned that leaders and actually community members on cups are a really large group which is hard to train into professionality and that's where little peaces of feedback work well!

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@Heather225

1. The micro yes

2. Be specific

3. Impact Statement

4. Show Impact

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself?

I think showing impact might be difficult for me, because I definitely don't want to push the person into the "defensive".

I think that if everyone is giving healthy feedback, we start to cultivate a culture where people ACTIVELY seek feedback without being afraid of getting hurt or offended.

hopedreamlove September 13th, 2020

@CompassionateDreamer8522

I agree! Cultivating feedback culture can allow people to actively seek feedback, which can be so important.

LittleBirdie30 September 11th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Micro-yes

2. Data point

3. Show impact

4. End on a question

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"? I think I could improve on the micro yes step because I really hate confrontation and I get very nervous before talking to anyone that I might need to talk to something about.

- Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups? I think it's important to create a feedback culture on here because we can always improve in our own skills as to successfully give good feedback and it's a good way become a better leader.

@LittleBirdie30

I can relate, I feel I can also improve on the micro-yes step as I also get really nervous before talking to someone who I might need to discuss something with. I love your response!

September 12th, 2020

Micro yes, Data points, Show impact and Ending with a question

Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself?

Data points and Showing impactle.

Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

Feedback is something that helps us grow and improve the areas where we lack or are not that good at. We all have certain ways to do things but getting things done the right way would be easier if we get an insight or feedback.

Beaconx September 13th, 2020

@Heather225

The four part formula: The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End with a question

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself?

It would be definitely by the 'Show Impact' part of the formula

It's important to cultivate a feedback cutlure on 7 cups because it will enable us to serve well in the community. We all need improvement. By having a feedback culture, it will help us to build trust amongst each other, grow as a team, and overall make 7cups an overwhelming positive experience for everyone.

@Beaconx

Great answer! I really like how you mentioned how feedback can help build trust amongst each other, I agree.

WelcomeToChat October 1st, 2020

@Beaconx

Totally agree !

Zahraa000 February 21st, 2022

good answer

The micro-yes, data point, show impact, and end on a question.

I feel I could improve on the micro-yes because sometimes I just jump right into the feedback, and after watching the video I realized it might be better to ask a question so the other person is aware that the feedback is coming, and so they have the opportunity to answer yes or no if the question.

I feel it is so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 cups because feedback allows us to grow and to learn. There is always room to grow, and always room to improve. Feedback culture can allow the community to strengthen, progress, and for people to feel more comfortable in their roles and not be afraid to ask for feedback, and offer feedback.

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@hopedreamlove

good job :)

Liru0417 September 19th, 2020

@hopedreamlove

This is awesome! Love what you said <3

@hopedreamlove

you know reading your response felt like you did a great job in recieving feedback as well! it's somehow like you accepted the video as a feedback on your giving feedback process!

WelcomeToChat October 1st, 2020

@hopedreamlove

Well done !

freshMint9376 September 13th, 2020

Micro-yes, data points, impact, question.

Oh wow honestly all of them? I had no clue that I should be doing any of this! I typically just jump right into a "feedback sandwich". So I should start off by making sure that people actually want feedback first.

It's important because feedback helps us grow. Without feedback, it would be hard to know what we could be improving on.

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@Heather225

The four-part formula is; asking a micro yes or no question, using data points, show how you're impacted, and then wrap up your feedback with a question.

The part I can improve would be showing impact. I tend to struggle with getting into details on what worked or didn't work and why. It is important to tell people what they're doing good or bad at and what impact they're making.

It is important to cultivate a feedback culture on 7 Cups because when you are helping others there is always room for improvement. Since 7 Cups is a community, there is always changes that need to be made to better improve the program, feedback facilitates continuous learning and improves professionalism and knowledge.

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Heather225

The four-point formula is:
1. The Micro yes: Begin giving feedback by asking a short yes or no question.
2. Data Point. While giving feedback, feedback-giver should be specific and objective. She/he should avoid using blur words (that are not specific and objective and may mean different things to different people).
3. Show Impact. While giving feedback, the feedback-giver should tell about the specific impact that would be achieved upon implementing the feedback. This gives a purpose, meaning and logic to the feedback.
4. End on a question. One should wrap up the feedback with questions like "How do you see it?", "what are your thoughts?". It creates a feeling of collaboration and commitment rather than compliance.

Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

I need to improve myself in 'The Micro Yes' part. While giving feedback, I often do not begin by asking a short question. Often, this puts the person to whom I gave feedback in defensive mode and somehow doesn't serve the purpose of feedback.

No one is born perfect. Everyone needs continuous improvement. Receiving feedback and giving feedback allow us and others to improve. This creates a cycle of continuous improvement. Continuous improvement is really important to keep us and our community (7 Cups community) relevant, effective and staying true to our mission- providing emotional support to especially those who lack financial means.

BookChunky September 18th, 2020

@Heather225

The four part formula: The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question

For me it would definitely be 'Data Point' so I can be specific with my feedback and avoid blur words to confuse or delay understanding

Human Psychology works with principle of feedback. We do something to get something in return. Feedback is a form of reward you get for doing something. Reward can be good or bad, but it needs to be there. We won't work on something if there is no outcome. It helps people work and push themselves to be better. Here on 7 cups without a proper feedback system, people will not continue to work in the manner that brings positive outcomes.

Grace8402 September 19th, 2020

@Heather225

It was a great video. I'm glad I found it.

Micro yes - Data point - Show impact - question

I think the micro-yes part is something that I could work on because it is logical and impactful.

I had received feedback on my response time in June and it has always stuck with me since then. I always keep that in mind and it has helped me perform better. Feedback does help a community grow because it does show concern for one's performance and give space for improvement.

DayDreamWithYou September 20th, 2020

@Heather225

The four-part forumla is: micro-yes, data points, show impact, and end with a question

Definitely the micro-yes. Every time I give feedback, I always first ask if they would prefer feedback or not to give an open choice. However, at the same time, one of the biggest parts I can improve is to make it an option really optional. I feel like my micro-yes part sometimes feel like the person has to agree, which is something I definitely do not want.

It's very important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 cups because feedback is the main way we can see where we can improve and progress. Oftentimes, it is hard for us to reflect about our own faults and where we can improve, and sometimes the only way we can really understand is when someone else sees somewhere we can improve. The main way another person can let us know where we can improve is through feedback! Without feedback, the whole site might have a hard time with quality, progress, and everything in general :)

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 29th, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou

Well said :)

MoonlightHelper1 September 20th, 2020

@Heather225

The four part formula: The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, & End on a question

Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

I could improve on Data points. Sometimes I do not know how to state my feedback in order not to hurt the person so I am often indirect and soft so the feedback is not even recognized (as mentioned in the video).

I think it's important because it helps us to improve our skills and get better at helping members and doing good and effective work for the community.

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 29th, 2020

@MoonlightHelper1

Great answer!

lovelyNight9853 September 21st, 2020

The four part formula: The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question

I can improve in the show impact aspect by asking more questions to understand someones situation a bit better and trying my best to help them get through whatever they may be dealing with.

Its important to cultivate a feedback culture because it is important to improve and learn from our mistakes, and we must lift each other up in this community so we can care for our members in the best way possible.

September 21st, 2020

Micro yes. Date point show impact end question,

I need to work the last 3 ,

I think feedback is important for growth and for people to know if they are good job. Also feedback on what they can improve on can help thid growth and get better, my saying. Is like all about growing , learning and being better as a person.

bubblyJulie September 21st, 2020

1.) The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question.

2.) The micro-yes. The idea of the micro-yes is fairly new to me and I haven't utilized this formula at all in my life.

3.) There is always room for improvement. You never know if you're doing good or bad without a feedback from anyone. Giving and receiving feedback will improve our personal listening skills as well as support our community as a whole.

InvaderStitch September 21st, 2020

Micro yes: Ask them a question about whether or not feedback is welcome. This gives the other person a sense of control because technically they could say no. It also gets their brain more ready to hear the feedback.

Data point: What is it exactly that youre giving feedback about, be objective and cut out blur words.

Impact Statement: How did what the other person do impact you?

Question: Asking for feedback about how the other person feels about the feedback you have just given.

I think I could do better at asking questions about how the person is feeling about the feedback I have just provided to give them a chance to discuss and grow a little bit more. I know that if people gave me a chance to ask questions and respond to feedback I would feel like the feedback was an opportunity for growth rather than them just telling me what I did right or wrong.

A big part of the 7cups culture that I love is that we work to help each other grow in our skills and talents. If we dont give/receive feedback how do we know how we are doing and how we need to improve? If we want to develop a strong leadership team we need to be able to give and receive feedback in the most gracious way possible.

Rebekah September 22nd, 2020

The micro-yes; data point; show impact; questions.

Hmm, I think that I have to work on showing an impact; I find feedback difficult sometimes, both receiving it and offering it. However, I know it's imperative to personal growth!

As I said previously, feedback is imperative to grow as a person. With constructive feedback, it can help us to do that and to become great leaders.

pizzaiscool September 24th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Micro-yes

2. Data point

3. Show impact

4. Asking a question

I'd work on point 2 and lessen the use of blur words. I hate feeling let down by someone but I'm always scared of how they will feel when I relay the feedback

On a platform that is pretty much just interpersonal interactions, it's important to be open to feedback especially when members give you feedback related to the chat. Cultivating this lets listeners feel comfortable when met with feedback

CintaBali September 26th, 2020

Micro-yes

E.g.

Do you have 5 minutes to talk about how that last conversation went?

I have some ideas how we can improve things - Can I share them with you?

Data point

Specific information about an event that happened using objective language and avoiding generalised or objectionable comments

Show Impact

Specific benefit or disadvantage that subsequently occurred

End on a question

What do you think about this is there another way we could improve on this?

The methods which are missing from the video have been around for several decades and are certainly not mine, just as the tips in the video were certainly invented long before LeeAnn Renniger was born.

APPOINTMENT

The idea of asking permission to give feedback has been formalised in Australia so giving negative feedback in a workplace without an appointment to do so or in front of other staff is unlawful bullying. There should be a gap of a day or more in between the micro-yes and the actual feedback there is no point just sending feedback to a team member, and making the first part of a message, Do you mind if we take 5 minutes for feedback that application of this tip assumes that the volunteer that you are talking to has nothing better to do than hear your opinions, and also doesn't give them time to think about what to say to you.

PRIVACY

The fact that the feedback is given in private is far more important than the Micro-yes, and asking for permission to give feedback in front of other workers defeats the point, because the worker will feel obliged to say yes.

REGULAR REVIEWS FOR EVERYONE

Feedback is usually a leader's job to do for every member of a team on a regular basis in a professional workplace, and that way no member of a team can feel like the leader is singling them out for criticism (unlawful bullying in Commonwealth countries)

ASKING FOR FEEDBACK ABOUT YOURSELF

Giving feedback to a team member without asking for feedback about your own leadership is unapproachable and unprofessional leadership there is no point pretending that only workers make mistakes and that leaders are all perfect. Leaders who fail to ask for or respond proactively to feedback about themselves first often actually cause the issues that they complain about for example, in the video, if a leader sends an email and requires a reply by 11 am the same day and then blames their worker for some issue that occurs as a result, then they are bullying their staff, because any good worker has already planned what they are going to do the next morning on the day before.

If the leader had asked for feedback about themselves first in the video, before making a complaint, they would have ended up finding out how morning demands to be replied to by 11 am were of course massively interfering with productivity in the workplace, and therefore would have avoided making the sort of complaint which would no doubt be described as bossy and disrespectful by the members of their team. Obviously if the leader needed something by 11 am, they should have asked for that days before.

A good way of encouraging feedback about your leadership from workers is to have a list of feedback subtopics youd like opinions about, like workload, communication (frequency, language, response time etc), approachability, reliability, acknowledgement, access, assistance etc. Good workplaces even have a form for workers to do this. There is no point using this step to solicit flattery: "You're really great" is not good enough - a leader needs to know specifically what they are getting right and wrong.

SELF-EVALUATION

The next part of a professional feedback interview is when the leader asks the worker How do you feel you have been doing on . . . (task/standard A, B, C etc)?

This way, if the worker is already aware that an improvement needs to be made or has been encountering issues that the leader is unaware of, then the leader will find that out, and the worker will be far more comfortable with making a change that they have brought up and suggested themselves.

STARTING WITH A POSITIVE

Feedback that is always or completely negative ruins morale, reduces trust and degrades the relationship between the leader and their team member, so if there is a need to correct mistakes or adjust methods in the workplace, it is important that,every time this needs to happen, the leader also first points out something that the worker was doing right as well. Positive feedback needs to be in the same format as described in the video specific information about an event, detailing the positive impact of that behaviour, asking for the workers opinion (because they might have an even better idea) and encouraging more of the same in the future.

ENDING WITH A POSITIVE

Sandwiching a bit of bad news in between 2 compliments can also be a much better idea than complaining to a worker about their work, especially volunteer work, and especially if the improvement suggestion might have been a bit of a shock or difficult for the worker to hear. Whether its positive or negative, each feedback topic needs to follow the same steps as above

CONCLUDING SUMMARY

Moving forward, at the end of a professional feedback interview, both the leader and the worker have a list of improvements that will be made in the future, as well as a list of what they have been doing right and what they should be continuing to do, and the summary is simply a matter of going through this list.

A feedback culture is important to any organisation without feedback there is no measure of what is being done right and what is being done wrong. It is certainly important to cultivate an effective feedback process, because without a proper feedback system not only improvement can not occur, but also there will be no means for the organisation to know when changes are required.

dancingMoment7201 September 28th, 2020

@Heather225

the micro yes question, data point, show impact, the end question

Show impact and avoid using 'blur', be more specific

Cultivate feedback help others know their flaw and improving. It's more like a learning curve.

@dancingMoment7201

i like your point of view when you say it's like a learning curve... it really is! ^^

EvelyneRose September 29th, 2020

1) They are Micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, End on a question.

2) I could definitely improve on show impact.

3) Feedback is important for 7cups culture because the culture is based on warmth and high expectations. We have expectations for people to learn and grow, so feedback helps them do that.

Vintagechoc September 29th, 2020

@Heather225

1-What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

- The Micro-Yes

- Data Point

- Show Impact

- End on a question

2- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

The part I should improve is the Micro-Yes because I'm used to giving direct feedback. Starting with the Micro-Yes will soften my approach.

3- Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

It will help the community to better identify the impacts of projects or other initiatives and to improve in order to better meet the needs of its members.