Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #7) How to Provide Feedback

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Now that we've learned about how to receive feedback, let's talk about how to provide feedback!

Please watch this video.

- What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

- Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Listeningsarinn September 30th, 2020

@Heather225

- What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

micro yes, data point, showing impact and ending on a question

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

probably on showing impact mostof the time i feel like i cannot show/explain exactly what i mean and feel about the problem

- Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

mostly for two reasons first because that's the only way we can ensure we are all working towards making things and ourselves better daily but the second thing which is special to cups is that most of he leaders here are volunteers who are doing the work just because they care for the purpose, and most of us, at least me myself are pretty new to everything we step up for in cups and we "need" the feedback to learn more, grow stronger as leaders and too feel confident even tho people don't usually see feedback as a way to gain more confidence

River October 1st, 2020

@Heather225

What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question

Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

I think I could do much better at showing impact as it could help with exactly showing why feedback is being given and how that impacted me properly without unknowingly making them defensive. I dont think I am that well with showing that.

Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

7cups is a constantly evolving community, feedback culture will help us grow alongside the community and lets us know how we can do better at helping this community.

TogetherForeverAlways October 1st, 2020

@Heather225

Questions

1st) The Micro-Yes

2nd) Data Point

3rd) Show Impact

4th) End on a Question

Perhaps the Part 2 - Data Point, or the Part 1 - Micro-Yes are the most challenging to myself, but I actually think I could definitely improve on all of them, and this four-part formula of feedback was a delight to learn and be aware of!

Because feedback is essential and critical for the 7 Cups community to keep growing fast, well, and healthily, it's also critical for all listeners who want to be as good as they can.

WelcomeToChat October 1st, 2020

@Heather225

Four-part formula to say a difficult message well:

1. Micro-Yes: asking a short but important yes-no question, like “I have some ideas I’d like to share. Do you want to listen and talk about them ?”. It makes the other part know that feedback is coming, and as the other person can say yes or no, it gives her/him a sense of control of the situation, and consent on the whole process in case they say yes

2. Data Points: provide objective data to qualify the issue at stake, pointing to the distance from an agreed standard to the actual results. Like “You promised you would do 5 but you did 1.” (negative feedback) or “You promised you would do just 1 but you did 5 ! ” (positive feedback)

3. Show the Impact. Explain the impact this distance between agreed versus actual objective results had on the process to which this activity contributes. It explains the meaning of the problem in terms of a larger goal. Like “Because we needed 5 and only got 1, the project couldn’t be completed on time”

4. End on a Question. Ask the other part what is their perspective on the problem. Like “What do you think about this ?” “What do you think we should do about it ?” It creates commitment instead of just compliance, involving the other part in a joint problem-solving situation. It also expresses the willingness to actively get feedback from the other person

The part I think I could improve on and do better is explaining the impact. Reminding myself to do it. This would be necessary because, first, I tend to think that, for example, people should deliver what they promised, just because of their promise, so I would say “You promised this and you didn’t deliver” and stop at that. I also tend to assume that they must understand the impact of their contributions to overall success, so I don’t feel the need to explain that.

So I must make a conscious effort to “Show the Impact”.

It's important to cultivate a feedback culture on 7 Cups because

- it promotes, in a healthy way, that we all are accountable to one another and to the Community, in the fulfillment of our roles in 7Cups.

- It makes people continuously “learn by doing”, learn by doing something and getting feedback on what they have done, and so improves the quality of 7Cups human resources, and that of the organization at large.

- It makes people feel their work is recognized as important, even with “negative feedback” (why bother if it wasn’t?). Positive feedback is a most powerful way of motivation.

- So, in many ways, it increases the continuous improvement and effectiveness of 7Cups as a whole in achieving its mission.

Yourstruly2000 October 2nd, 2020

@Heather225

1) The four part formula consists of

i) The micro-yes ii) Data point iii) Show impact iv) Endo on a question

2) I personally feel i need to work more on the Data point part where i need to reduce the blur words, this will make me communicate better and relay the message more efficiently to the recipient

3) I think feedback culture is really important on 7cups because on here, theres no one person we can say that is perfect or is like never wrong, so we are not perfect either. Feedback will enable us to make ourselves better and help us learn. This will ultimately make the community as whole better. That should be our most important goal.

October 3rd, 2020

The micro-yes- kinda a permission for feedback
data point - Specific action for which you are giving the feedback show impact - What effect does the action have
end on a question. - Asking for their view

Showing impact is where I can improve. Because just telling them what they have done may not make them realize it's effect. Elaborating on the impact, short term and long term, would make them open to receive the feedback more.

7cups is a volunteer driven site. The only motivation for people here is a positive feedback. When a negative feedback is encountered it can actually be very demotivating. Hence, it is essential to formulate an ideal feedback so that the receiver understands the need for improvement without being demotivated :)

KatePersephone October 3rd, 2020

@Heather225

1. The four part formula is:

To ask a micro-yes question. For example, to ask "Do you have a few minutes to talk about our last conversation went?" which makes the other person understand that feedback is about to be received.

To give your data point. To say exactly what you heard or saw rather than add words that aren't objective. For example, to say "I didn't receive the message you said you'd send me by 12pm"

To show impact. To show exactly how that issue impacted you and your personal life/work, for example "By not getting the message, I couldn't manage to move forward to my work".

End with a question. When you end saying your side, ask how the other person sees things. It'll show that it's not a monologue and that the other person is part of the conversation, too.

2. I think all of these ways could help me because I am the type of person who would say my issue with someone straight in their face and that tends to hurt them.

3. Because very often feedback is being hurtful for other listeners and feedback is supported to help them grow, so by knowing how to provide feedback to them, we help them understand the issue and grow from it.

Mankka October 3rd, 2020

The micro-yes, data point, show impact, and end with a question

end with a question

Helps people to become better listeners and community members

KindnessMatters2020 October 4th, 2020

@Mankka

The 4 part formula is Micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, and End on a question

For improvement, I think I tend to soften my messages and sometime use too many blur words.

Feedback in all parts of our lives is helpful. While we do our best at things, sometimes we need to hear from the people around us how we can make even tiny improvements that will have a big impact. At 7 Cups since we are all doing this virtually, feedback helps us to feel supported and valued as a part of the bigger picture.

Asher October 26th, 2020

@Mankka

Do you think some of the feedback on here has changed the culture on here?

peacefulWarrior10 October 3rd, 2020

Questions A - What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

Answer - 1. Micro-YES, 2. Data Point, 3. Show Impact, 4. End with a Question

Question B - Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself "and why"?

Answer - All parts I guess, because I feel afraid of giving feedback as I'm quite poor at it. Sometimes I end up not giving feedback even after beginning the conversation. I think learning these 4 steps will help me immensely as a leader in every sphere or role in life. These steps will give me a concrete proven guide or framework to share feedback. It will help me get better accepted.

Question C - Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

Answer - 7cups is an online community, uploading our culture and values here needs constant checking and mentoring by leaders. Without cultivating a feedback sharing culture, the community will not grow.

Azalea98 November 19th, 2020

@peacefulWarrior10

I totally understand that fear of giving feedback. It can be intimidating sometimes. I'm glad to see you wanting to work on it though. I wish you all the luck with it 🙂

peacefulWarrior10 November 20th, 2020

@Azalea98

Thanks a lot !

blitheEmbrace27 December 2nd, 2020

Totally understand being afraid of giving feedback. It’s never easy, but the more we do it, the less afraid we will feel ❤️@peacefulWarrior10

Ines1229 December 9th, 2020

@peacefulWarrior10

You got this!!! <3

amiablePeace77 October 3rd, 2020

@Heather225

How to provide feedback

Micro-yes / Giving your data point / Impact statement / end with a question

I have room for improvement on all of them but particularly on impact statements since it helps everyone to understand what is the consequence of the action.

Feedback allows us to improve and grow, it can be very motivational. It helps the community to grow together, develop trust and maintain communication.

cocoakrispies121 November 9th, 2020

@amiablePeace77

I love your response! I think it touched on some awesome ideas!

@amiablePeace77

I love that you see feedback to be motivational. That's a great way to view it! 🙂

NorahListens October 4th, 2020

What is the four-part formula that you can use to say any difficult message well?

Micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, End on a question

Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself and why?

I think I could improve on Show Impact. I’ve never done it before, and I think that would really improve the feedback that I give.

Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups?

Feedback is really really important as it lets us know what is expected of us, and whether we are meeting these expectations or not. This is important as it contributes to creating a culture of High Expectations and High Warmth. Feedback also makes us aware of our strengths and weaknesses, and what we can do to improve our performance.

lyricalAngel70 December 23rd, 2020

@NorahListens

I agree that feedback helps us understand our strengths & weakness & help develop ourselves through them.

SophieWX October 7th, 2020

1. Micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, End on a question

2. I would try and improve on showing impact.

3. It it important because it affirms each other's accomplishments and at the same time reminds everyone to keep doing good.

Asher October 26th, 2020

@SophieWX

It's basically like mini celebrations that happen.

Ginevra962 October 7th, 2020

The micro-yes, Data point, show impact, end on a question.

I think I should work on data point to give feedback better. I tend to remain too general but I should instead give examples of what I mean.

I think it's important to be able to give and receive feedback. It can lead to a better community able to help members and new listeners better. As a mentor I find this discussion really helpful.

@Ginevra962

I too need to work on giving examples! I find that I am scared of hurting the other person's feelings :)

@Ginevra962 I can remain too general as well when I give feedback. I often forget the importance of giving examples with it!

YoungMonastic007 October 11th, 2020

@Heather225

The micro yes question, data point, impact statement, ending on a question

The micro yes question, after watching the video I realise I haven’t started with micr yes question. Instead I directly jump to the point and start discussing. So this is one thing I’d like to implement in my daily life, as well.

I feel, here on 7 cups we’re doing a very noble job. And frequent feedback only help us grow big and better.

@YoungMonastic007

I totally agree on the micro-yes point! I think I have been skipping it as well, but I believe I should sart using it more!

@YoungMonastic007

I totally agree 7 cups is an incredibly noble job and being a leader on 7 cups even more so, fantastic response! 🙂

AffyAvo October 13th, 2020

The micro yes

Data point

Show impact

End on a question

The micro yes, I think I sometimes rush into and don't give the other person a chance to be aware beforehand.

It allows issues to be addressed instead of them compounding, it allows for positive growth.

BeautifulMasterpiece October 15th, 2020

@Heather225

1.) The micro yes

2.) Be specific

3.) Impact statement

4.) Ask for suggestions

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself and why?

I think I could work on the impact statement, because I never want to really "play the victim" in a way, and make them look at me like I'm overreacting and they did not thing wrong.

​​​​​​​Here at 7 cups, it's important for us leaders to learn and grow, so that we can help others learn and grow, and we can ultimately achieve the goals we set for ourselves, and help others to the best of our ability.

Asher October 24th, 2020

1: Ask a simple question, but validation in it, keep it direct but not over direct, and tell them something well they did.

2: Not being too direct to the person so they feel they have to defend their ego.

3: So that as people we can improve and give better peer support to others like the idea is to give the best peer support we can give.

cocoakrispies121 October 25th, 2020

The four part formula includes the micro-yes, the data point, showing impact, and ending on a question.

- Which one of these parts do you think you could improve on and do better for yourself and why?

The data point. I think I add a lot of blur words and am indirect when giving feedback.

Feedback on Cups, throughly improves the site! When members and listeners don't like x feature, but like y feature, it is easier to move the site around and change things so that everybody can get more from the site.

Totally agree that feedback improves the site as a whole! Great post! @cocoakrispies121

crystalclearnow October 26th, 2020

@Heather225

The four part formula are micro-yes, data point, show impact, and end the feedback with a question.

end the feedback with a question so that is open communication and a two way conversation to get the other person's insight as well.

It is important to cultivate a culture of feedback so that we can learn, improve and grow because we are constantly changing, evolving and adapting.

Asher October 26th, 2020

@crystalclearnow

Do you think you could use that feedback to help yourself in personal life as well?

crystalclearnow October 26th, 2020

@Asherwolfice

Absolutely, feedback is also to develop into better versions of ourselves.

Dino12 October 27th, 2020

1. The micro yes questions

2. Be specific

3. Impact Statement

4. Show Impact

Be specific- I tend to overgeneralize and fluff my words, it would be good to focus on getting to the point quickly and concisely

- Why do you think it's so important to cultivate a feedback culture here on 7 Cups? It's important because it's for us to grow from, to become open minded and responsive. An outsider perspective can help us figure out what can go better, and facilitate healthy communication

Affliction1 October 28th, 2020

@Heather225

The micro-yes question, data point, show impact and end on question.

I definitely need to work more on the data point part because I feel like I'm not doing that right currently which might lead people to het defensive to my feedback. I really want to avoid that as it may cause conflicts.

it's very important for 7 Cups because at the end of the day, the goal here is to keep on learning and improving because nobody is perfect and we can all help each other to grow by spotting where we are going wrong and improving each other by giving necessary feedback for increased progress and efficiency.

queenviebsonly October 28th, 2020

@Heather225

The micro-yes, Data point, Show impact, End on a question

I think I could improve on show impact because it is one of the most important part of the formula.

It is important, because everyone will realise that feedback is not an attack or something extremely negative, just something that can really help you.

SofiaT2000 October 31st, 2020

@Heather225

1. The four part formula is made up by four parts which are the micro-yes (questions), data point (clarifying blur thoughts), show impact (statement), and end on a question (ask about their thoughts).

2. I think I could improve on my introduction because it's the most important part for me as it prepares the person for what is about to follow. I have been always finding it tricky and awkward as I didn't want to sound too strict and make the person defense and end up on a conflict, but not lose my professionalism either as this could cause the person to not take their responsibilities and myself seriously. Although I'm polite and approachable, I hadn't thought about starting with a question to make the person feel more comfortable. It's also a great and kind way to make others trust you and I will start using it from now on!

3. On 7cups, our purpose is to support in the best way possible and grow better constantly for ourselves. As there's always room for growth and evolution, because no one is perfect, we try to be our best every day. In order to achieve that, giving feedback to help others improve through our experience as well as receiving feedback to improve ourselves is crucial. It's important to remember that we're entering a community that most people reach out to when they need help and support, so mistakes are expected as things are challenging and feedback is necessary to improve as listeners and as individuals. To conclude, we shouldn't forget to receive feedback with respect as well although the facts that we are leaders because this shows humility and can only help us get better on our work.