Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

kenzolena August 5th, 2022

@SparklingSeashells

Thank you for being here on cups, I'm glad that we're having you here, you've got this and I'm proud of you.

~ "little reminder: Your loved"

- Lena

blissfulTouch29 July 22nd, 2022

Gossiping is bad because it's like spreading rumors that aren't true. It is okay to share information but if it is a little personal about a family or friend and they tell you not to tell someone and you do and it's not to help them and that's gossiping and it's not good.

blissfulForest7074 August 10th, 2022

@blissfulTouch29

You're right. Gossiping never helps anyone

blissfulTouch29 August 10th, 2022

@blissfulForest7074 thank you

WarmLightXO July 28th, 2022

1. Why is gossiping bad?

It creates tension, distrust, and rumor

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies?

"I don't know enough." Love that <3

@WarmLightXO

thank you so much for being here on 7cups, and I hope your walkinging an amazing journey

~ "Little reminder: Your loved"

- Lena

blissfulForest7074 August 10th, 2022

@WarmLightXO

"I don't know enough " a simple yet a powerful reason not to participate in gossiping

August 22nd, 2022

@WarmLightXO

I like that you mentioned that we don't know enough.

Josh3889 December 8th, 2022

@WarmLightXO

Great example!

@Heather225

Q: Why is gossip bad:

A: This question hits home, gossip is bad for multiple reasons, even if people find it funny what they say to others, but do they see what it does to that person? They think that what they are doing is good and funny but it isn’t, their words are hurtful and can bring a person to do horrible things to themselves.

Q: List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

A: I’m choosing the following statement: “I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence”

- Lena

blissfulForest7074 August 9th, 2022

@kenzolena

You've answered this post really well. I like your take on second question.

StarrrGirl20 August 20th, 2022

@kenzolena

Exactly

August 22nd, 2022

@kenzolena

You're right, Lena.

blissfulForest7074 August 9th, 2022

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad as in puts the person whom they're talking about, in a bad light and the ones who're talking about in the worse light

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

° Change the topic to a positive subject

° Defend the person who's not there by describing their good trait

@blissfulForest7074 bravo 👏👏

Here4good74 September 6th, 2022

@blissfulForest707

Your points are on point! I do agree with you

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is terrible because it enables for a harmful and judgemental atmosphere

Talking about the positive characteristics about the individual who is being gossiped about.

August 22nd, 2022

@StarrrGirl20

very true

@StarrrGirl20

Exactly! Gossiping creates a judgmental atmosphere

SirenOfSerenity September 7th, 2022

@StarrrGirl20

The impact of gossiping on the environment is very important, good job highlighting that! I agree mentioning positive qualities are great statements. It shows the character of a good role model in the community to combat this kind of behavior

August 22nd, 2022

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Because it is toxic and prevents real human interaction, also creates tension and spreads rumors

Gossiping is a very ugly, unfair thing to do and is not something likable people take part in.

@Helpingheart23

I agree on what you said, gossiping is really toxic and brings more bad than good

niceworldmnd August 24th, 2022

@Heather225

1. Because it is toxic and prevents real human interaction, also creates tension .

2. changing the topic to a positive point or saying "
I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss about it" .

@niceworldmnd

I like how you mentioned the tension it causes, definitely counterproductive to a thriving community or team. The statement you chose was my favorite as well, good job!

KimByeongIn September 11th, 2022

@niceworldmnd

Right about the toxicity. Great answer!

@Heather2251.

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping makes the person mentioning the negative things about the other person less likable.

I don't know much about the situation to comment on it.

@Here4good74

Great job answering the discussion question, the statement you chose for the second question was my favorite as well. It's extremely fair!

@Here4good74

Great answer, amigo.

Mari228 September 13th, 2022

@Here4good74

its true that gossip on the long run really does make the two ends of the conversation bad because the person not present feels hurt and you eventually get hurt yourself from the other people in the conversation deep down not really trusting you.

yourbuddy30 October 7th, 2022

@Here4good74 I agree with what you said Jane!

@Heather225

Questions:

1. Why is gossiping bad?

- Gossiping is bad because it is unfair to the party who is not present, as well as make you look untrustworthy to the audience you're gossiping with because it puts your integrity and character in question.

- A statement I learned from this video was to mention the fact that you don't know the perspective of the person being spoken of, so you'd prefer not to speak for them. I like this very much, as it's very accurate and full of integrity!

@SirenOfSerenity

Always ahead of me, fella. You're doing great! Keep up!

@SirenOfSerenity

i agree that it’s unfair because it puts the person of topic at a disadvantage and in reality against what a listener is trained to do or even as a member as well to cooperate and come to an understanding. I know about persons in my life that once they knew they gossiped they didn’t see them the same way.

November 6th, 2022

@SirenOfSerenity

i have to agree that it’s not right for the person who was on there.

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is sadly the most chosen activity in a social setting to "keep the conversation going" but it creates a negative impact around ourselves as well as others. By gossiping, we are putting an impression of being judging and having opinions about others and their lives. Gossiping has ill impacts on our character and leads to serious trust issues in the long run.

"Well, I've always found it easy to talk to XYZ(Emily)" Taking a stand for the people that are being talked about.

@KimByeongIn

i also liked how the video said the people were easily likesble when you don’t talk bad about anyone and people can build trust around you which does align with you having a good character and good impressions with others.

@KimByeongIn seems like we both believe in taking a stand for people!

November 6th, 2022

@KimByeongIn

Taking a stand for person is a good way on keeping the chat positive.

@Heather225

.Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because not only does it negatively affect the person of topic but it also affects you and the other people talking about that person. It was interesting learning that science backed up a study where people will subconsciously dislike you if you talk bad about that person. It is sadly something very easy to do so like the analogy the video used of it as like eating sugar or candy. It’s something people like once it starts because it fulfills the desires of connection and being noticed by people. Though it only gets worse in the long run,

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

A statement I like that I learned from the video goes along the lines of “We don’t have enough information of the person and their perceptions or why they did what they did so we can’t say anything in their prescience.” It’s a good clear statement that stands one’s ground and at the same time bot making anyone in particular feel bad and letting them know it’s not right to assume something about someone without better understanding. From there to talk about general topics like health travel food and animals I think I’d another good topic too.

@Mari228 I agree with the statement. We never truly know what people go through or how they would justify their actions and hence it would be wrong on our part to judge them or gossip on that particular discussion