Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

usefulSummer3139 November 17th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

It's bad because it hurts the person being talked about, and it also hurts you. It's a two-way street which causes absolutely no benefit to the people involved.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

I liked the statement-

"By not participating in gossiping you will shine! People will take notice and admire you for not doing it."

Also, I liked how she provided alternate conversation topics!

lovelyParadise7651 November 17th, 2020

@usefulSummer3139

great answer :) I liked how you talked about it being a 'two way street' and that it not only negatively affects the person being talked about but also the person who is gossiping.

Azalea98 November 19th, 2020

@usefulSummer3139

Yes the fact you will shine is really a lovely thought isn't it. Great line to pick up on 🙂

DreamTouch November 20th, 2020

@usefulSummer3139

Well said! I like how you mentioned it as a two way steet smiley

hopebeyondpain November 20th, 2020

@usefulSummer3139

I found the alternative conversation starter nice too, Summer! It was really aweseome that the video creator took the time to consider how else we can steer the conversation to avoid gossiping. Thank you for sharing!

Azalea98 November 19th, 2020

Gossiping is bad because it can make not only the person you are speaking about look bad but it also reflects badly on you as a person too.

the statement that suck with me from the video was "The person isn't present and is therefore unable to defend themselves" and this isn't a fair way to treat someone, everyone should get a chance to rebtuttle any accusations in my opinion

@Azalea98

I like your response and I agree how it actuallys creates a negative image about the one gossiping too

@Azalea98

You're absolutely right! It's not fair to criticise someone when they're not given a chance to explain what happened form their own perspective. It only breeds misunderstandings and negativity. Thank you for sharing!

sia1325 December 27th, 2020

@Azalea98

Well said! I completely agree with your response!

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?
Gossiping is wrong and could be very hurtful, damaging and negative.

"I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence."

@DreamTouch

Considering the other person's perspective is always important to prevent misunderstandings. Even if the person telling us is someone we trust, we have to listen to the other person involved before passing judgement or jumping to a conclusion. Thank you for sharing!

blitheEmbrace27 November 25th, 2020

Great response as to why gossiping is bad. Thank you for your share!@DreamTouch

lyricalAngel70 December 11th, 2020

@DreamTouch

I agree, thanks a lot for sharing your opinion.

Wish you good luck. heart

December 20th, 2020

I totally agree with what you said @DreamTouch

warmLove3625 February 11th, 2021

@DreamTouch

We chose the same statement! I also agree that this one has some serious power behind it and can be used in so many situations interchangeably. You highlighted some really great points about gossip and why it should be avoided.

Good luck on your LDP Journey!

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping break trust between people, which is key to building a safe and warm community. It also spreads negativity, and causes people to think more negatively of each other. Gossiping is also unfair to the person being gossiped about, as they are not there to defend themselves

I do not know enough about that situation to comment on it

Chevy81 November 26th, 2020

@hopebeyondpain

I agree. Gossip and trust are two opposite world.

kdsyahirah November 21st, 2020

@Heather225

1) gossiping are bad because it will hurt another person if they know about this. Plus, gossiping could lead anyone to arguments and the need to vengeance

2)" I don't know enough about the situation to comment on it."

Great perspectives on why gossiping is bad !@kdsyahirah

wishfulMoment42 November 24th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?
Gossiping to me straight up a waste of time and energy. It feels like a behavior of a parasite or sadist gaining pleasure from talking ill about others. I feel it is bound to lower your psyche and eventually you end up feeling worthless about yourself since all you are doing is talking about someone else.

On a personal level, I have been working towards not being part of any gossip, especially about a person for quite some time. I fortunately have been able to do that successfully. Not just for the sake of saying or so, I genuinely keep my mind open to know other people's perspectives and then letting them know how I feel about it if at all I am asked. You cannot possibly make some assumptions and define an entire conversation based on it. It's a sheer waste of energy.

@wishfulMoment42

To not joining gossip isn't always an easy thing to do. I'm glad to know that you have been able to do that successfully yes

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad as it can be extremely hurtful, negative and can make others lose trust in you. If you don’t want to be gossiped about, you should not do it yourself. As the lady also said in the video, gossiping is toxic!

”I don’t know the other persons perspective so I prefer not to discuss what I think they were feeling or thinking in their absence”

@blitheEmbrace27

Yes! She said that gossiping will make people wondering what would we say about them when they weren't around. It means that they don't trust us anymore. How toxic it is!

1. Why is gossiping bad?
Gossiping is toxic. Gossiping is a very ugly unfair thing to do. Gossiping is poisonous. The intent behind gossip is usually to make someone who isn't present look bad and to make us look good through sharing this information. Gossiping doesn't do anyone any good.

So by not joining in, we will foster trust. We will be seen as non-judgemental and will overall be much more likeable. By not participating in gossiping, we will shine. People will take notice and admire us for not doing it.

"I don't know enough about the situation to comment on it."
"I don't know the other person's perspective so I prefer not to discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence."
And if possible, also point out a quality you like about the person who's being gossiped about.

giggleSun1695 November 28th, 2020

Gossiping is bad because the conversation is made by hurting and talking badly of one person.

I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.

Dazzle28purvi December 7th, 2020

@giggleSun1695 nice! I like your response

wanjiku November 30th, 2020

@Heather225 gossiping does not bring anyone any good, it has an negative impact on the one gossiping and the relationship as well.

point something positive about the person being talked about or change the topic.

@wanjiku nice one!

Anexmos December 4th, 2020

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?

Gossip is wrong, toxic and poisonous. No matter how you look at it. Spreading malicious rumors will not only hurt the subject of the gossip, it makes you look bad in a rude and immature kind of way. It also makes the person or people you're talking to uncomfortable and insecure.

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

We don’t talk about others while they are not present to defend themselves! We don’t know their version of the story!

@Anexmos perfectly put!

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?
3.  Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Gossiping is bad because it talks ill of others and this negativity passes on and affects others. It becomes a chain where if one gossips, the other will gossip about that same person that initated it. This is negative hence is bad.

To avoid gossiping, change the topic. Talk about travel or the new health trend.

Remember, if you gosip to someone, that person will gossip about you. So, dont do it.

GlitteringNights December 20th, 2020

@Dazzle28purvi

Very concisely and well put! Love the response <3

Ines1229 December 9th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

As explained in the video, gossiping results in gossiping - people are less likely to gossip about someone who has not gossip them. This definitely shows that gossiping can bespread through a community and ruin the positivity everywhere around it. I think of it as some sort of pandemic really.

The statements presented in the video have the purpose of helpingone to understand how to change the topic. One of those statement is: "I don`t know enough about the situation to comment."

Containedchaos December 17th, 2020

@Ines1229

I also enjoyed the statement about not knowing enough information about the situation. :-)

lyricalAngel70 December 11th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping badly?

Because it is poisonous. It can destroy a person's image completely. Nothing good can be expected out of it. Therefore, we must avoid it as much as possible.

To mention one good quality of that person(about whom someone is gossiping).

@lyricalAngel70

I agree that is is poison. I also like the statement of coming up with something positive to say about the person they are trying to gossip about.

lyricalAngel70 December 17th, 2020

@Containedchaos

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion with me. ❤

How are you doing today?

She13 December 15th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad? - Gossiping is not only likely to be humiliating at the moment, it can also have a long-term negative impact on a person's self-confidence and self-esteem which can cause serious issues like depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts among a person.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies! - I think the best thing to do is a compliment and stand up for them.

@She13

I also liked the example of making a positive statement about the person.

Why is gossiping bad?

It is a very ugly and unfair thing to do. It is done to make someone look bad and you look good. Those that you gossip to, will also lose trust in you, they may question trusting you and think you could gossip about them

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

By not participating in gossip will take practice. I can use statements to redirect the conversation such as, “I don’t know enough about the situation to talk about.”