Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers ร‚ in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?
Gossiping is bad because, in gossiping, a person is being discussed, often in a negative way, in their absence. The person being discussed is not present to defend herself or himself. Moreover, when we say something bad about someone behind their back, the person to whom we are saying subconsciously also think bad about ourselves. Gossiping creates and encourages an environment of distrust which in reality is harmful to everyone.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
The most likeable people for whom nothing bad can be said have probably never said anything bad about someone in their absence.

DayDreamWithYou September 18th, 2020

@shiningSound31

Thank you for sharing :) The definition of gossiping about how gossiping is when a person is being discussed while not being present is very on-point! I love how you mentioned as the video mentioned that people may perceive us in a negative category when we gossip, and I agree that gossiping definitely creates an environment of distrust. Aw, and the quote you have taken from the video was honestly super deep as well; the fact that the most likeable people never gossiped.

shiningSound31 September 19th, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou

Thank you for liking my response :) Your kind words are really an encouragement. Thank you, Dream heartheartheart

InvaderStitch September 14th, 2020

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it is hurtful and it deteriorates trust. If you are talking bad about someone and they find out theyre not going to trust you anymore. The person youre gossiping to isnt going to trust you as much because if youre saying these things about one person, what are you saying about them? Gossiping isnt fair for anyone involved. You never know 100% of anothers story or the reasons behind their behaviors so what gives you the right to assess and talk about it, especially without them present to defend themselves?

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping

I like the statement, I dont know enough about the person or situation to comment. Ive actually used this before and it seems to work, but sometimes the other person rebutes with well surely you have an opinion, but I definitely operate from the mindset its not fair to talk about others behind their back.

BookChunky September 18th, 2020

@InvaderStitch

Great answer :) Well explained! I agree with your point about spreading positivity or not commenting if you're not involved. Gossiping can be really terrible and hurtful x.x

pizzaiscool September 21st, 2020

@InvaderStitch

Great answer! I like the statement you used too!

September 18th, 2020

Gossiping is when saying mean stuff to make fu. Of. Some you and make them look bad.

i do not know enough about This what happen so I am not comfortable talking about this .

BookChunky September 18th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

I think of it as a deragatory way of ruining people's lives and reputation. When you gossip about someone, it will make you good about yourself for awhile, you feel like you're above anyone else and looking down on that person but if you continue doing it over and over and tell everyone how someone is ugly or does not have what it takes to be their best self and then this person finds out, it will slowly kill their self-esteem and they will feel like they're not good enough. Gossip usually stems from envy and jealousy, some people may say bad things about someone behind their back because they are envy and get jealous because that person has something/someone they don't have.

"I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence."

AffyAvo October 9th, 2020

@BookChunky Good summary!

hopezzy January 13th, 2022

I agree! Gossip may stem from envy or jealousy. We shouldn't be defeated by them.

lovelyNight9853 September 18th, 2020

Gossiping is wrong because it spreads lies about the individual and looks bad for everyone involved.

One thing I learned from the video was that you might never know the other persons perspective since the situation might look very different from their point of view.

DayDreamWithYou September 18th, 2020

@Heather225

Thank you for this wonderful post Heather! Although this wasn't part of the questions, I thought I would like to share a bit of my own reflection from the video. I thought there were many ironic statements in the video itself that I thought I would like to share. One of the main things the speaker struck me was that the speaker kept mentioning that if we do not gossip, people might like us better and put us in a positive light. And recently, there is a lot of topics about popularity and society's judgement, and from the video, I suppose the speaker slightly encourages us to not gossip partly because gossiping is bad and also partly because we want others to view us as a better person, which goes against the whole concept of not letting other's opinion to affect us (it's just a very odd observation I had ahaha). Also, personally, seeing gossiping happen is simply very heart-breaking and sad to see because as the speaker mentions the beginning, gossiping sometimes is a easy way to join a conversation and to relate to someone else, and seeing that gossiping is the only way to join the conversation, it's just very sad I suppose. and I 100% agree with the video that we don't know someone else's perspective and what they have been through, and we should never think that we do, judge them, or criticize/gossip about them. Putting that aside, there was a quote that really stood out to me "people will admire you for not doing it," and oh my, I suppose society comes to the point that we even admire someone for not doing something we should try avoiding :o Either way, here are my response to the questions:

1. Why is gossiping bad?

- It turns truths into lies. From every person to the next person, the story gets turned and turned into something that isn't real anymore, and these stories or "supposed truths" that are exaggerated at every turn is 100% not beneficial.

- It creates a society of mistrust. As the video mentions, when we are on the receiving end of gossip, we often would distrust the person because we never know if they would gossip about us in turn. With this whole mistrust and doubt, a community could easily turn unsupportive and unsafe as well.

- It hurts. For the person that is being gossiped about, it would be a horrible experience. There would be days they meet someone they never met, but that someone already knew a lot of gossip about them, and it would be like a stranger knowing and perceiving us as someone we are not. It would decrease of our trust, perhaps cause us to withdraw from the society that knows so much gossip about us, and there are so many other reasons it would hurt. Yet the people that are gossiped about are not the only ones that would hurt. People who are close to the person and see it happening; people who spreaded the rumour and see it ruin someone's life (are they happy with themselves?); people who did not even know the person and only feels odded out by the fact that they know about them without ever interacting with them; people and the community.

There are a lot of statements that the video brought up to stop gossiping. One of the main ones that is perhaps could be the easiest go to solution is to divert the topic onto another topic. I personally felt that complimenting the gossiper would be another way to divert the topic as well more effectively. Discussing about school, common activities, and a lot more are also awesome ways to stop gossiping.

Liru0417 September 19th, 2020

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping takes away the chance of the person being talked about to give their side of the story, relieving them of the blame and malice. It is an unfair situation to be in since the person being talked about can never defend themselves from the blame that they are being put on.

I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.

MoonlightHelper1 September 20th, 2020

@Liru0417

Great response, it is true that it s very unfair for the person because the cannot stand for themselves and say their perspective and side of the story, as every story has two sides!

pizzaiscool September 20th, 2020

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it fosters for a toxic and judgemental environment

I can talk about the positive traits about the person who is being gossiped about

@pizzaiscool

Nicely worded! I agree that it fosters a toxic and judgemental environment and it is a great thing to defend someone in their absence and say something nice about them!

@MoonlightHelper1

Absolutely! It's something I intend to start working on

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad because it is usually said with the intention of making someone look bad without their presence so the person cannot even react and defend themselves. It is not fair and furthermore it would also hurt the person to know about it.

I could say that I don

@MoonlightHelper1

Great answer! It's a lot better for us when we dont engage in bringing others down

bubblyJulie September 21st, 2020

1.) Gossiping is bad as its common intention is to make that person who isn't present look bad so you can look good.

2.) I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.

@bubblyJulie

I like your answer! It's so easy yo jump in and bash someone and it's on us to break that chain!

hopezzy January 13th, 2022

I agree. Your answer is crisp!

CintaBali September 24th, 2020

Post โ€“ Gossip

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossip means making negative comments about a persons character, personal traits or habits or work in their absence. It is a type of passive aggressive abuse

Gossip is an obstruction of natural justice โ€“ because the person is not present at the time, they are obstructed both from hearing what is being said about them and also from their natural right to reply and defend themselves.

Gossip is a betrayal: of fellowship, camaraderie, loyalty and trust โ€“ both by the person who utters derogatory comments and by the person who listens to them and thus encourages and facilitates the betrayal.

Gossip always involves personal or subjective judgement โ€“ even if that judgement is positive, it is still a major intrusion and utterly negligent leadership to pretend that you are ever in a position to judge another persons character or ability or personal habits or to discuss whether their workplace efforts are deficient in a public forum and especially in their absence - whatever a gossiper is attempting to diminish or defame is none of your business to hear or contribute to or encourage a discussion about, whether your comments are positive or not, they are still massively unprofessional and not appropriate.

Gossip is unlawful in Australian workplaces, including volunteer workplaces, under the Fair Work Act of 2008 and before that was unlawful in anti-bullying codes of practice under state safety laws. Under both these sets of legislation, gossip is defined as a passive aggressive type of bullying. Currently penalties for workplace bullying can include fines of up to $1.4 million dollars for not only the organisation but also for individuals involved in gossip conversations. The reason that gossip is unlawful in Australia is because, like other types of workplace bullying, it has been proven in courts to have killed people.

I dont like the idea to talk about the positive traits about the person who is being gossiped about โ€“ That would still involve talking about the person behind their back, which is a betrayal of that persons trust no matter what is said. Saying positive things doesnt stop the gossip and usually encourages more negative comments from the gossiper, and treats the gossip victim as if they are a subject of debate rather than a person with trust and feelings.

I also dont like the I could say that I don t know the other person s perspective so I prefer not to discuss what they were thinking or feeling in their absence because that implies that if I did happen to know the other persons perspective I would have a right to contribute to and therefore encourage the gossip to continue.

I dont mind the idea of changing the topic to a positive topic and let the other person know that you are not interested in gossip . . .

However, what I actually say to gossipers outside of a workplace is What did **** say when you told this / made this complaint to them? (i.e. instead of behind their back like a bully and a coward).

What I actually do if someone gossips about someone I know outside a workplace is phone them immediately and tell the gossip victim that I have someone named **** here and they just said โ€ฆ. about you. Then I give the gossiper the phone and let them explain their behaviour to their actual victim.

What I do if someone gossips in a workplace is tell them that the organisation has a complaint procedure, and that starts with making the complaint to the person they are complaining about, and if that doesnt work then there is a process to follow which certainly doesnt involve telling their complaint to me.

If I was working in a role supporting listeners and a listener complained to me that someone who was a member or listener at 7 Cups had hurt them so badly that it interfered with their volunteer work, I would ask them to use an assumed name while venting about what had happened, then afterward I would offer to assist them with providing access to follow an internal complaint procedure so that the situation could be formally addressed and resolved.

dancingMoment7201 September 28th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad? Misleading and encourage conflict.

Avoid gossiping, don't talk about something that you don't have a whole perspective about. Stand up to point out gossiping and try to understand the point of view from both sides.

dworth257 September 29th, 2020

1. because people will forget all of the times they themselves have gossiped and focus on hurting you, if you're the chosen target of the time. trust me, if people find out you have gossiped, they will try to literally ruin your life. i've seen it happen to other girls, not just me. people are nasty and their egos are fragile -- especially people who haven't been bullied in the past. they think their names are untouchable.

2. gossiping will always exist, unfortunately. all people can do is try to be better and reflect on themselves before they scapegoat people. maybe if everyone got involved and was self-reflective, and their was an honest conversation, real things could actually be achieved. but that won't happen.

Asher October 26th, 2020

@dworth257

Do you think there are ways to decrease the amount of gossip in group chats?

SofiaT2000 October 29th, 2020

@dworth257 Let's not lose hope and do our best to make things a little better. If we take the first step, things will start improving around us!

Skyglider November 6th, 2020

@dworth257 it's so hard when gossipping is part of bullying. Been there.

Dinohorus November 14th, 2020

@dworth257

I enjoyed your perspective about how gossiping will always exist. But that isn't a reason to quit trying to change the communities we're in for the better!

Anexmos December 4th, 2020

@dworth257 Perfect answer and well written thoughts!

Ines1229 December 9th, 2020

@dworth257

This is such a well thougt and detailed response, well said! <3

wonderfulKermitKaTy March 1st, 2021

@dworth257 that's right reflecting is the best we can do to learn about our mistakes and try to improve ourselves.

herealways27 April 6th, 2021

@dworth257

I agree with you that gossiping will be something that will always exist, we can only try to take it away from our personal lives and try to reduce it as much as possible. We can't really control what others do but we can certainly control our decisions.

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Charles R. Swindoll

EvelyneRose September 29th, 2020

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossipping creates untruths or half truths that serve to divide rather than unite.

"I prefer not to as they are not here and cannot say what happened."

WelcomeToChat September 29th, 2020

@EvelyneRose

Great synthesis !

Grace8402 November 10th, 2020

@EvelyneRose

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

lyricalAngel70 December 11th, 2020

@EvelyneRose

Lovely responses!

sia1325 December 27th, 2020

@EvelyneRose