Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Daf8 May 27th, 2021

heart @peacefulIris56 heart

heart I appreciate the incredible, great, beautiful person that you are, what you say and what you do. I am not positive, I am just honest about your kindness. I appreciate appreciative, sweet, supportive, encouraging and lovely people like you heart

August 29th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?
It is not only unproductive, but it creates a negative image of you in the other person's mind.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
I prefer siding with the person or backing the person being gossiped about. So that they can see the positive side of the person and rethink gossiping.

Listeningsarinn August 31st, 2020

@DonaldDraper

i like your point of view where you think you should try making the other person rethink gossiping too not just avoiding getting involved in it! ^^

SynSavory September 2nd, 2020

@DonaldDraper

I agree, it is unproductive and it produces a situation where we utilize too many of our brain reserves for things that don't even matter. Good job.

LittleBirdie30 September 1st, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad? Gossiping is negative and it will leave you and the person you are talking about in a negative state.
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies! The purpose of gossiping is to make someone who isn't present look bad and to make yourself look good. The person who you are gossiping to will begin to think you also gossip about them and they won't trust you!

@LittleBirdie30

I agree. Negativity spawns more negativity and we can't have that in safe places like 7 Cups. Bravo. :)

Irena0225 September 9th, 2020

@LittleBirdie30 Agree with you

smolecho September 2nd, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

It's extremely hurtful, and the person being gossiped about doesn't know. They aren't there to defend themselves and others just assume that's the truth.

"I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence." Similar to my previous statement, but I fully believe in this!

cocoakrispies121 September 3rd, 2020

@smolecho

I really loved the way you explained why it was bad!

@Heather225

Gossiping is bad because it undermines the credibility of others through misinformation.

A statement that I learned is that following trends can foster negativity and jealousy so it's a good idea to keep yourself informed on various topics.

September 3rd, 2020

@SynSavory

That summarise the video very well. 😊

amiablePeace77 September 30th, 2020

@SynSavory

Totally agree, so much misinformation could be spread!

cocoakrispies121 September 3rd, 2020

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad becase it dimishes trust, and puts a negative effect on you. It makes people view you neagtivley, while causing them to think that you also speak about them behing their back.

I would compliment the person! By saying something like, "I have always though x was good at y."

September 3rd, 2020

@cocoakrispies121

Giving compliments does seem like a good idea

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 3rd, 2020

@Heather225

Why is gossiping bad?

🌸 Gossiping is bad because it is hurtful to others and sometimes the truth might be far from what's being spread. It can damage reputations, trust and is very hurtful too.

List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

🌸 "I don't know enough about the situation to comment'' - this is such a beautiful, honest statement that could be used

Rebekah September 3rd, 2020

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22, I agree completely with your answer! 💙

DayDreamWithYou September 18th, 2020

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22

Thank you for sharing :) I agree that gossiping is bad because its hurtful and the gossip is oftentimes very far from the truth, damaging reputations, and everything as well. I love your statement about "I don't know enough about the situation to comment"! It's really, as you said, a beautiful and honest statement.

WelcomeToChat September 29th, 2020

Right on spot ! It's key that gossip damage reputations and trust. and is also very hurtful.

She13 December 16th, 2020

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22 - well said, thank you for being in this platform :)

beautifulSeal9714 January 17th, 2021

beautifulSeal9714 January 17th, 2021

you are doing good Rainbow :))

shiningSky3745 March 31st, 2021

I totally agree

September 3rd, 2020

1. Why is gossiping bad?

It's negative and the one who does it also seems negative. Talking about people in their absence is not a good quality.

Saying that I don't know much about the situation or the person who is being talked about

JaimieF September 8th, 2020

@Magicallykermit58 I like saying that you don't know enough about the situation. It's often true as we never have the full story.

Lostorfound September 15th, 2020

@JaimieF

I use to find myself talking about peoples problems so i might gain some self worth

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Magicallykermit58

Totally agree with you, Kermit! I wish you the best in your journey ahead!

@Magicallykermit58

I like that Magicallykermit! It's truly not a good quality!

Ginevra962 October 6th, 2020

@Magicallykermit58

Good synthesis!

UnicornsCottonCandy April 1st, 2021

@Magicallykermit58

I really agree to your statement of how you are not eligible to talk behind someone's back about their situation because you don't know the full story of it. Thank you for the amazing post!

kindFish9215 October 6th, 2021

I totally agree with you! Gossiping is indeed negative!

Moonlemon48 October 20th, 2021

Totally agree with you on this!

Rebekah September 3rd, 2020

1. Why is gossiping bad? Gossping is bad because it is very misleading. It can be very offensive, hurtful, and degrading to a person's character.
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies! "I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking, or feeling, in their absence."

Irena0225 September 9th, 2020

@RebekahRebel I like your opinion!

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@RebekahRebel

Agree with your answer, Rebekah! You have wonderfully written your answer. I wish you the best in your journey ahead!

InvaderStitch September 14th, 2020

@RebekahRebel

Nicely worded! Thank you for being a leader on 7cups!

BookChunky September 18th, 2020

@RebekahRebel

@RebekahRebel

I agree with your opinion! Gossiping can be a very hurtful thing.

@RebekahRebel

So true! It can destroy someone's self esteem.

Ginevra962 October 6th, 2020

@RebekahRebel

Very good answer! Good luck on your journey

Skyglider November 6th, 2020

@RebekahRoyal - I like that view - that it's misleading. It doesn't show the entire truth about a person or situation.

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

@RebekahRoyal

I agree and love your answers! Well done 😊