Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #2) Service Leadership at 7 Cups

Heather225 August 6th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Being a leader at 7 Cups takes many forms. One thing every listener has in common is that we are all agents of service. Whether we are taking member chats or we are welcoming a new listener to the community, every unique contribution made by listeners is equally wonderful and valuable.

There are many ways to spend our  volunteer time at 7 Cups. Some of you will choose to focus on member chats and others will choose to be involved with our community programs, or both!  No matter which path, all contributions are considered incredibly valuable and special.

The term  Service leadership  (based on the philosophy of servant leadership, in  which the main goal of the leader is to serve)  can be explained in this way:  "Traditional leadership generally involves the accumulation and exercise of power by one at the top of the pyramid. By comparison, the servant-leader shares power, puts the needs of others first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible."

Sometimes leaders or community members who help with projects receive high praise for their efforts (and they all deserve it) but this is never to take away or undermine the contributions of listeners who fly a little bit more under the radar. How one chooses to spend their volunteer time on 7 Cups is up to them & we love you all the same!

Leadership - Becoming a Teen Star, Mentor, Mentor Leader or Ambassador.

Weve long said⦠that if you want to be a mentor, be a mentor, eventually youll get a badge. These service leadership roles are incredibly important to the functionality of our community. The individuals in these posts do an excellent job helping to keep our community safe and positive. I am very thankful for them.

One misconception I have heard floating around is that once youre in one of these roles you need to do more, be more, show more, etc. The reality could not be any further from the truth. These roles signify contributions that are currently being made & are not about contributions we hope these individuals will make in the future.

Another way to think about this is - Â if youre accepted to be a mentor leader or ambassador, we will not be giving you more work. Our aim is to honor the work you have been previously/currently doing. In fact, wed love for you to add more self-care to your regular routine. These titles are reserved for successful project leaders & community members who are already involved in community engagement projects and actively making a positive impact. In some cases, we may give you more tools to do your specific projects more effectively.

In this sense, service leadership is simply about where you plan to spend your time. To those of you out there who focus 100% on member chats, we LOVE YOU! To those of you out there who focus on community programs, we LOVE YOU TOO! All of these contributions are equally valuable and important. As a collective  community, our aim is to honor your contributions, no matter where or how they manifest.

In this vein, my hope is that you will remember 3 key things:

1. Self-care - always! Make sure self-care is baked into your volunteer work here

2. Dont take on more than you are able. If you dont have the bandwidth to do something, you owe it to yourself and the community to say no. It is 100% okay to say no. (And if you are asking someone to help you with a project, please do not get upset if someone has to say no.)

3. Remember that 7 Cups is an ecosystem. Every single contribution matters! Â

If youd like to be in a service leadership role, my advice would be:

1. Pay attention to how others are contributing

2. Figure out what gets you excited in the community!

3. Once you have an idea of what gets you excited, dive in! You dont need to have a mentor badge to help out, get involved & start learning.

4. If youre not sure how to get involved, you can chat with a mentor or sign up for listener coaching.

5. Once you feel comfortable with your area of attention, apply for the appropriate mentor track.

-

Questions: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?
How can you become a better "servant' to our community?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

wonderfulKermitKaTy March 1st, 2021

What do you think of the idea of service leadership?

The idea of service leadership is to serve other and help them. It is different as people are not climbiing a pyramid or pushing others down, it is about growing together as a community and helping others.

Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

My mentor has really helped me a lot in the process to help me clear my questions. I would also like to add all the listeners I have met as they were some of the most suppotive and pateint people.

Becoming a better "servant' will including understanding others, communicating. Taking breaks and practising self care . Understanding your role and taking on the work you can handle.

windSpirit March 2nd, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy I appreciate all listeners I've met here too. Also the part ("Becoming a better "servant' will including understanding others, communicating") is very nice addition I should rememver about.

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy awesome answer :D

thisisirene March 31st, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy great answer!

UnicornsCottonCandy April 1st, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy

I strongly agree about what you said about "self-care" in order to be a better "servant" at 7 Cups. I also believe that we need to take care of ourselves as leaders to bring a positive influence to our team!

Readylistener April 13th, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy

Readylistener April 13th, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy This makes so much sense, and I especially love the bit about being a better 'servant. Taking breaks and self care are super important <3

confidentpanda April 15th, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy Thanks for bringing up self care! It is a really important part of becoming a better listener.

MarleyR April 19th, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy Great answer.

helpfuldipper June 10th, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy Awesome answer ! laugh

Brinaa101 June 22nd, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy

That is very true! It's important to build each other up!

FlourishingDimensions June 22nd, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy
I love that you pointed out that it's not like "climbing a pyramid or pushing others down, it is about growing together as a community and helping others." You captured that so well. This community is so good with how it supports and how it builds up together. You are spot on.

July 7th, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy
I really like the way you explained your meaning of service leadership!<3

jersey123456 October 24th, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy

Wonderful answers !

windSpirit March 2nd, 2021

It makes a leader to serve others. It is not just "vision of power" but using the power to make others life better. It is about caring about people whom the leader serves as top priority, not people serve the leader.

I saw how a person was answering in check in threads being supportive to others. I saw a mentor who really answers question, even stupid and gives good guidelines. I saw how people host sharing circles and how do their best to support people who is sharing.

I'd write it to myself as guidelines:
Remember, the work matters. Do not push youself over the borders and take care about yourself. Do things you are interesting in and finding fun there, involve and learn there. Ask questions how to help. Look how others doing it.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou March 5th, 2021

@windSpirit

Appreciate your beautiful words for the people that are in service leadership on cups ♥️

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

@windSpirit

I agree! I love the answers, you did a great job

@windSpirit awesome answer

@windSpirit

I agree with you about the role of a mentor. Even though someone may ask questions that may seem "dumb" to ask, a mentor's role is to consisteny provide the best support that they possibly can. Your example is a great example of service leadership!

cuteeeezombieeee April 8th, 2021

@windSpirit

Totally agree with what you mentioned about not pushing ourselves over the border! Learning from others is such an excellent tactic and yes, having fun is important otherwise our work will just be monotonous! Best of luck on your journey ✨

confidentpanda April 15th, 2021

@windSpirit Wow I really liked how you brought up service of power!

Brinaa101 June 22nd, 2021

@windSpirit

I agree! Taking care of yourself is important in being a good leader.

windSpirit June 26th, 2021

Hey, anyone who is reading - I noticed it's proven with time!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou March 5th, 2021

@Heather225

Lovely concept and encouraging words, H , thankyouu ♥️

I think, 7 cups is a great place to see this idea in practicality.

Decoding the term "Service Leadership " , for me it resonates as, serving with a leading role . Which is so very amazing, we all serve here in our own ways, depicting great leadership qualities, compassion and support . We all serve the community, only for something good, without any expectations or personal gains, other than an increased compassion and empathy quotient while serving in this wonderful place .

I believe each one is a great part of the community and all their efforts and time are so very appreciated.

To give an example though, I'd say Mentors are an amazing source of service leadership, these are helping out so many and those so many are further helping more people coming in contact. It's beyond beautiful to see them going above and beyond to support the community and make this a better place for all.

I'd like to say ,I do always try to offer my best self to everyone I come in contact with here, be it in participating in forums and chatroom sessions , helping out , provide encouragement and support in listener and member rooms or by taking up 1:1 chats to support members .

To become better at serving, I however do need to realise my burnout points and slow down at those times, practice self care and get back to everything again, with more cheer and vigour ,because I can't pour in other cups without pouring in mine, so to serve the community better, it's important I take care of my needs and limits tooo .

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

I also talked about self care in my response as well. I'm glad you also mentioned that in your response as it means that there are more people who think like me. Thank you for your amazing post!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou April 1st, 2021

@UnicornsCottonCandy

Thanks so much! Self care is an integral part of our lives, especially on cups as a leader with roles and responsibilities to attend to . I am glad you feel the same. Best wishes for your journey ahead ❤

helpfuldipper June 10th, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Great answer ! I really learned from it.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou June 10th, 2021

Hey @helpfuldipper , glad to hear you learned from my answer , thankyou so much ! Best wishes for your journey 💛

Kieran000 March 7th, 2021

@Heather225

I think it's a great leadership idea, service leadership is a good way to improve a community, being a servant, you put the needs of the team before your own, that's a great way in building a community and trust. You also help others to be able to think for themselves, and to try their own thoughts out, by using encouraging phrases, words and questions. Which is what a community needs, people to encourage others to do what they think is best for them, not what we think is best for them.

I think a mentor is a good example of service leadership, they became a mentor to help support other people in any struggles they may have while being a listener. So that shows that they're there and in that role to improve their team.

To become a better servant to our community, I can become more involved and interact more with it. By welcoming people and greeting them , getting to know each other, becoming more of a community team than individuals.

kindLemonade April 6th, 2021

@kieran000

i like your answer to the second question! It reminds me to be grateful for the tremendous volunteering supports I'm getting from others mentors and coach on 7cups.

gigantCloud92 March 8th, 2021

@Heather225

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

I perceive service leadership as service to the community, for the community. One example of service leadership I have seen on 7 cups is that of the forum supporters and mentors, who invest time and energy to make sure all members and listeners who post feel safe and heard.

By investing more time to participate in forums and being a better listener through Peer Training guides.

KristinHelps March 15th, 2021

@Heather225 I like the idea of servant leadership as they share power and put others first. Real leaders lead by example and lead everyone to success. Leaders shouldn’t abuse their powers or perform with low expectations or warmth.

I have seen this in a lot of leadership teams around 7 Cups, thankfully a lot of leaders practice this and lead incredibly.

I have recently implemented being a better servant leader by sharing the power to my new leaders of LSC (Listener Sharing Circle) and putting others first!

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? I like the idea of service leadership because instead of leaders being at the top and everyone serves them, the leaders are at the bottom. It's like a triangle. Leaders are at the bottom they help to serve everyone else and the community.

Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups? One example of servant leadership that I have seen on 7 Cups is leaders leading by example. They lead but not just as a regular leader, they lead with the intent to show examples of leaders to everyone else.

How can you become a better "servant' to our community? I can become a better servant to the community by leading by example, serving others and supporting others and also being there for the teams.

marvelloustree1111 March 17th, 2021

@Heather225

Alright, so here we go!

1. For me, service leadership refers to serving the community and doing our work with utmost concentration, taking into account our roles and the welfare of others working alongside us and the people involved.

One example of service leadership would be when the listeners are taking part in group chats and showing their love and compassion for each other as well as the community.

2. I can be a better servant to the community by trying to be a better listener and adding more to my listening skills every day, especially in those aspects I find more appealing, such as group chats and community programs as well as encourage my fellow peers and listeners.

Cristen April 18th, 2021

@marvelloustree1111
You're absolutely right! blush There's always something to add to our active listening skills and become better everyday!

AdylynS March 20th, 2021

@Heather225

Questions: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

I like the idea of servant leadership, I think it is almost like a subcategory of kindness. I have seen many people just message me if i seem like something is wrong. They will just say hey are you ok i saw you in TCR.

I can be a better "servant" by taking about a week every couple months to get more training in and focus on the community!

@AdylynS great answer!

I like the idea of service leadership.

One example of service leadership would be a listener who is passionate about the work on here

By being a team player and interacting with everyone involved.

shiningSky3745 March 27th, 2021

I think it's awesome as it helps people to realise their goods and bass help them know their right skills and roles Which also helps the community to grow

I think it'd be the listeners who have many roles and they help the community grow and also help other people to grow and of the Alps take member chats then it's even better as it they also help the members

It can be by raking up roles (as long as we are comfortable) and helping the community grow through then or even my simply taking member chats we help it grow

kindLemonade April 6th, 2021

@shiningSky3745

I feel excited to read your answers, I think it's because of the colorful text too! And agree with you that taking up roles and responsibility can help us be of service to others, but choose wisely so it's still within our capabilities!