Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #2) Service Leadership at 7 Cups

Heather225 August 6th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Being a leader at 7 Cups takes many forms. One thing every listener has in common is that we are all agents of service. Whether we are taking member chats or we are welcoming a new listener to the community, every unique contribution made by listeners is equally wonderful and valuable.

There are many ways to spend our  volunteer time at 7 Cups. Some of you will choose to focus on member chats and others will choose to be involved with our community programs, or both!  No matter which path, all contributions are considered incredibly valuable and special.

The term  Service leadership  (based on the philosophy of servant leadership, in  which the main goal of the leader is to serve)  can be explained in this way:  "Traditional leadership generally involves the accumulation and exercise of power by one at the top of the pyramid. By comparison, the servant-leader shares power, puts the needs of others first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible."

Sometimes leaders or community members who help with projects receive high praise for their efforts (and they all deserve it) but this is never to take away or undermine the contributions of listeners who fly a little bit more under the radar. How one chooses to spend their volunteer time on 7 Cups is up to them & we love you all the same!

Leadership - Becoming a Teen Star, Mentor, Mentor Leader or Ambassador.

Weve long said⦠that if you want to be a mentor, be a mentor, eventually youll get a badge. These service leadership roles are incredibly important to the functionality of our community. The individuals in these posts do an excellent job helping to keep our community safe and positive. I am very thankful for them.

One misconception I have heard floating around is that once youre in one of these roles you need to do more, be more, show more, etc. The reality could not be any further from the truth. These roles signify contributions that are currently being made & are not about contributions we hope these individuals will make in the future.

Another way to think about this is - Â if youre accepted to be a mentor leader or ambassador, we will not be giving you more work. Our aim is to honor the work you have been previously/currently doing. In fact, wed love for you to add more self-care to your regular routine. These titles are reserved for successful project leaders & community members who are already involved in community engagement projects and actively making a positive impact. In some cases, we may give you more tools to do your specific projects more effectively.

In this sense, service leadership is simply about where you plan to spend your time. To those of you out there who focus 100% on member chats, we LOVE YOU! To those of you out there who focus on community programs, we LOVE YOU TOO! All of these contributions are equally valuable and important. As a collective  community, our aim is to honor your contributions, no matter where or how they manifest.

In this vein, my hope is that you will remember 3 key things:

1. Self-care - always! Make sure self-care is baked into your volunteer work here

2. Dont take on more than you are able. If you dont have the bandwidth to do something, you owe it to yourself and the community to say no. It is 100% okay to say no. (And if you are asking someone to help you with a project, please do not get upset if someone has to say no.)

3. Remember that 7 Cups is an ecosystem. Every single contribution matters! Â

If youd like to be in a service leadership role, my advice would be:

1. Pay attention to how others are contributing

2. Figure out what gets you excited in the community!

3. Once you have an idea of what gets you excited, dive in! You dont need to have a mentor badge to help out, get involved & start learning.

4. If youre not sure how to get involved, you can chat with a mentor or sign up for listener coaching.

5. Once you feel comfortable with your area of attention, apply for the appropriate mentor track.

-

Questions: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?
How can you become a better "servant' to our community?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

wonderfulKermitKaTy March 1st, 2021

@Dino12 A healthy environment is one of the most important qualities for good working of the community.

herealways27 April 6th, 2021

Hey I love seeing members interacting in chat rooms too! I haven't been in chatrooms much these days but I always remember how kind they were!

SweetDreamer69 April 17th, 2021

Really loved your idea of service leadership. I think it actually brings out the best of what 7 cups has to offer.

SofiaT2000 October 28th, 2020

@Heather225

Service leadership to me is using the experience that I've gained so far to support and guide others.

When I first became a listener, I remember that I used to find listening more challenging than I do now, something that newcomers may get through as well. To become better we need both support and guidance as active listening and emotional support may be tricky and not the easiest to adapt in the first place. I would like to be an example for others and help them in their listening journey as I have been helped as well.

There's something that I believe is tricky for all of us and I continue to work on to better serve the community. Sometimes out of good intentions, we try to help someone with kind and uplifting words, which is great and generally helps, but we forget to give them time and space to express themselves and actually listen to them. Sometimes just being present helps a lot and answering after listening to someone's words makes us more effective into the point and increases trust. Don't forget to listen. Even if what you listen to may sound crazy. It's someone's truth. And it may mean the world to them. A truth that needs just to be heard and that nobody else listens to. We can never know what someone is getting through no matter how impossible it may sound. I hope to become a good leader and continue evolving.

DreamTouch November 6th, 2020

@SofiaT2000

Loved your response Sofia! Sometimes just being there with people is way enough than trying to solve their problems. I totally agree with that. You're doing a great job and I truly appreciate all the work you do here heart

cocoakrispies121 November 9th, 2020

@SofiaT2000

I loved the responses! Keep up the awesome work!

SofiaT2000 November 19th, 2020

@cocoakrispies121 That's great to hear! You too!

Azalea98 November 19th, 2020

@SofiaT2000

Couldn't have said it better myself! Fantastic response you clearly put thought into it 🙂

@Azalea98 Thank you so much! You do great Azalea! Keep it up!

Skyy0 November 25th, 2020

@SofiaT2000

That's so inspiring! To just be there to listen; not judge, not say empty kind words but to understand their truth and really listen. Sounds like you learned alot in your journey! Cheers! Servant leadership truly is the best way to grow

Ines1229 December 9th, 2020

@SofiaT2000

I really love your response and your points of view! <3

sia1325 December 26th, 2020

@SofiaT2000

Really a great response!

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

@SofiaT2000

I agree! Great response. I like the “dont forget to listen” part. Your explanation is wonderful! Well done

Readylistener April 13th, 2021

@SofiaT2000 I loved your response. I agree listening is truly a wonderful thing :) <3

Ashvillium August 14th, 2021

@SofiaT2000
I appreciate all your bold points sofia and I am sure you are on the verse of becoming the best version of yourself. :)

soulsings November 4th, 2020

Questions: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? I think there is more freedom and room for inspiration and innovation in service leadership. Authoritative leaders may be followed grudgingly. Service leaders bring out the joy in others.

Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups? I see how the quality mentors and leadership coaches help listeners in a selfless way to experience the joy of successful listening.

How can you become a better "servant' to our community? The most important starting place to serve the community is to shrink the part of ourselves that says "it is all about me" and realize and practice that "we are all in this together".

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

@soulsings

Thank you for sharing this! It is nice to see how the community helps each others to grow selflessly. heart

@DreamTouch Thank you Dream! It means a lot to me ❤️

@soulsings

I loved the part where you talked about expanding on "we are all in this together."

soulsings November 10th, 2020

@cocoakrispies121 thanks for that vote of confidence. I appreciate that so much!

Gozzil November 11th, 2020

@soulsings

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Service Leadership. I have definitely seen you practising it while leading discussions =)

ouiCherie January 1st, 2021

@soulsings

All answers are on-spot. Brilliant! ⭐︎ Love it.

Indeed we are all in this together ❤️

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

@soulsings

Great answers! Well done. 😊

@Heather225

enlightenedWhat do you think of the idea of service leadership?
I like the idea of service leadership as it encourages empathy and works in a way that benefits everyone, and has a room for growth

enlightenedCan you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?
Mentoring could be a best example of service leadership, providing feedback, helping fellow listeners on their growth. Working together for growth of all members of the community shows us the concept of service leadership in 7cups.

enlightenedHow can you become a better "servant' to our community?
I can be a better servant through self commitment to the community and through active listening and empathy.

Skyglider November 6th, 2020

@DreamTouch I like the idea of self-commitment. Well said.

@DreamTouch

I love the response Dream! I espically love the note of self commitment. I think it realtes to Cups incredibly well!

usefulSummer3139 November 16th, 2020

@DreamTouch

I loved your answers, Dream! Especially the first one- I liked the way you defined service leadership! :)

Skyglider November 6th, 2020

@Heather225

Questions: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

"Service leadership" is a concept I haven't heard of before, but it makes sense as I think I've been involved in this in the past. You are offering leadership for the sheer pleasure of doing so, not to receive a certain title or to take on more. I've seen leadership through the group chat moderators, and through peer and chat supporters. I've seen leadership through listeners who just care and want to help other listeners by providing feedback and empathy.

I can become a better "servant" by continuing to learn, to ask questions, and to share what I've experienced to other listeners, and to members who come for support. But to also look after myself and be respectful of what I can and can't handle.

@Skyglider

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Service Leadership. I agree that it's important to keep learning and asking questions, there's always something we can improve =)

blitheEmbrace27 November 25th, 2020

You have some really great answers! Yes always so important to ask questions and share knowledge with others. 7 cups is a never ending learning journey! All the best!@Skyglider

herealways27 April 6th, 2021

@Skyglider

Hey it's great to know that you have such a solid plan to learn, ask questions, and share your experiences with others.

What do you think of the idea of service leadership?

I think the idea of service leadership is great as it keeps leaders focussed on how they can best serve the community. It is also motivating as they are constantly seeing the "why" for what they are doing, i.e. the people who come here seeking support.

Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

I often see it in people running discussions in the group support rooms. They are leading the discussions, but everything they ask and say is carefully considered so that it is helpful to the participants and lets the participants get involved in what's going on.

I need to keep focussed on my reasons for doing the activities I do on the site. I am here to support people, and I need to make sure that my actions reflect that.

FrenchToast November 13th, 2020

@Gozzil To constantly remind yourself of the reason you are doing something on this website is so important! That's a great way to refresh yourself before you get into giving to the community. Thanks for sharing these answers ~

usefulSummer3139 November 16th, 2020

@Gozzil

Those are some great answers, Gozzil! I loved the way you defined service leadership! :)

FrenchToast November 13th, 2020

1. What do you think of the idea of service leadership?

A good leader knows how to serve. Service leadership is a great way to see how influential a leader can be with their own team. This can improve the team in so many ways.

2. Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Ah, so many. Listener Coaching Team, Internship Team - both these teams work tirelessly to support each other as well as everyone participating in the programs.

3. How can you become a better "servant' to our community?

I can become a better servant by communicating well and being patient. With these qualities, I want to be able to help others grow as well as grow for myself.

Azalea98 November 19th, 2020

@anotherfrenchtoastmafiaa

Yes I love the bit you added about personal growth reminds us we are growing ourselves while helping others 🙂

Skyy0 November 25th, 2020

@anotherfrenchtoastmafiaa

Hi toast smiley That's a very nice goal to have; being patient and communicating well. I strive to always be a person others can come to, and to be patient with myself and others. Cheers!

lovelyParadise7651 November 14th, 2020

@Heather225

Service leadership is a type of leadership where power is shared and the needs of others come first to develop more. For example, someone who loves posting on forums becoming a forum supporter. I could be a better servant by improving myself as a listener through trainings and practicing self care more often

Dinohorus November 14th, 2020

I have always felt that “service leadership” best describes my ideal vision of leadership. I believe that it is the absolute most valuable way for an individual to contribute to their community. An example of service leadership that I have seen here on 7Cups is that of the mentor listener system. I deeply appreciate that experienced listeners volunteer their time and energy in order to elevate other listeners, to help them grow and flourish. I think that a key distinction between “traditional leadership” and “service leadership” is that servant leaders seek to elevate new leaders, whilst traditional leaders might instead try to impede the way to leadership for young members of their group. I love that on 7Cups, we are encouraged and guided towards leadership.

I can become a better servant to our community by dedicating myself to a daily routine—to completing a certain number of tasks or spending a certain amount of time offering my love, time, and energy to the members of this community, no matter what those contributions look like (member chats, safety patrol, interacting in forums or chatrooms).

cuteOrange213 December 19th, 2020

@Dinohorus

I agree with the fact that it is the most valuable contribution you could make to the community.

Good job answering the question!