Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #10) Diversity, Cultural Differences, and Second Language Learners

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.

We are truly lucky to have a global community, rich in background and culture. In order to nurture our diverse community, we should each make a conscious effort to understand each other. The more we know, the more mindful we can be of one another's differences.

Please read this insightful doc written for us by @Hope.

Questions:
Please list some advantages of a diverse team.
How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

blissfulForest7074 August 11th, 2022

@Ninziesss

I agree with you about the 'learning much more from each other' part. I liked your answer

August 22nd, 2022

@Ninziesss

Nice one 😊

kenzolena August 6th, 2022

@Heather225Q:

Please list some advantages of a diverse team. A: Some advantages of a diverse team are: 1: That you get to learn about different cultures and practices which will add to your skills. 2: That people live in different time zones and that can allow us to support people who live in different time zones. 3: That we can look at things from a different perspective.

Q: How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups? A: We can be respectful in many ways, some are: 1: To be mindful of schedules and the availability of someone. 2: To consider time zones.

- Lena

@kenzolena

Lovely answer

August 22nd, 2022

@kenzolena

Love your answers, especially the one on time zone differences.

@Heather225

A diverse team means, more ideas and perspectives to solving a problem. This would also mean more inclusivity and better projects for the community

By being aware of the different cultures and by getting to know them, being open minded and accepting of every culture, by talking to people of diverse cultures,

August 22nd, 2022

@blissfulForest7074

Good answers 👍

StarrrGirl20 August 20th, 2022

@Heather225

Having a diverse team enables the whole team to support and learn from each other. Learning more about different cultures facilitates us to understand the listeners'/members background to comprehend their situation better.

We can rise above the stereotypes, and be respectful of the beliefs of others by recognizing other cultural holidays and not perceiving the other people and cultures with a shallow view (occasionally false views) installed into us by the media. Keeping an open mind.

SirenOfSerenity September 12th, 2022

@StarrrGirl20

Awesome job with you response, I especially agree with where you mentioned the media leading to shallow views of cultures we aren't fully familiar with!

zareya November 25th, 2022

@StarrrGirl20

these are all great ways to help celebrate diversity and cultural differences :)

Josh3889 December 9th, 2022

@StarrrGirl20

Really great job! I agree!

August 22nd, 2022

@Heather225

- Different perspectives

- Increased creativity

- Quicker problem-solving

-Better decision making

Avoid stereotypes, appreciate differences, expand our knowledge, and have cultural awareness.

@Helpingheart23

In the first question you mentioned increased creativity which is definitely important for a thriving community as well as thriving Leaders 👏🏽

yourbuddy30 October 9th, 2022

@Helpingheart23 Appreciating differences, better decision, knowledge of different cultures is definitely one of the main things we can learn from cups. Thank you for sharing

Josh3889 December 9th, 2022

I really liked your examples!

niceworldmnd August 24th, 2022

@Heather225

Questions:

. we get to learn about different cultures and practices which adds to our set of skills. .Allows us to reach and help more people situated outside of our country/culture. .A wider range of skill sets available for the team which can fuel creativity and productivity.

considering the differences, being respectful of individual beliefs and etc..

Here4good74 September 11th, 2022

@niceworldmnd I agree with you, I really love your responses

Mari228 September 14th, 2022

@niceworldmnd

Lwarning these new skill sets and constantly being exploded lf all kinds of people make jobs involving people much better to handle and a privilege to learn these new skills from others.

@niceworldmnd I totally agree with you. Thank you for sharing!

Here4good74 September 11th, 2022

@Heather225

Thdifferent perspectives can drive innovation

Allows us to reach and help more people situated outside of our country or culture.

Covers different time zones and allows us to support people living in different timezones, almost all day long.

You get to learn about different cultures and practices which adds to your set of skills.

I think keeping open-minded to all new things at all times is a really helpful thing. Keeping in mind new language learners and using simple language. Respecting others timezones and setting different times for the activities and discussions.

@Here4good74

Great job covering every part of the question, I do agree that open mindedness is extremely important

@Here4good74

i also enjoy helping and knowing persons of different cultures and feel more helpful in that way and really making a difference in contrast to only in my own area. Open-mindedness is an amazing point and a key to overcoming things like stereotyping and assuming badly of others.

KimByeongIn September 17th, 2022

@Here4good74

Good job!

November 7th, 2022

@Here4good74

being open minded is a big one to work on.

@Heather225

Questions:

- Some advantages of a diverse team includes:

1. Different perspectives drive innovation

2. Reaching and helping more people situated outside of our country/culture.

3. Allows us to support people living in different timezones

4. The opportunity to learn about different cultures and practices which adds to our set of skills.

5. A wider range of skill sets available for the team which fuels creativity and productivity.

- We can be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups by rising above stereotypes, being respectful of individual beliefs, considering time zones, and being mindful of schedules and availability

@SirenOfSerenity

Those are greats points and diversity also helps us adapt much faster and smoother in situations in and out of our own real life encounters and helps us see that with the differences we have we also have some common grounds to strive for.

@SirenOfSerenity

Always ahead of me. Great to see you being an active learner!

November 7th, 2022

@SirenOfSerenity

you brought up some really good points there that I can agree with.

@SirenOfSerenity

absolutely right! these are all great advantages of a diverse team & ways we can show respect to others :)

@Heather225

-always having at least someone who can help in the community because of everyone in different time zones and some people who can’t come in some times other people can come in to help whenever they’re able to without feeling as guilty and knowing it’ll always be active. Being able to help people from all over the world so getting to know what their situation and culture is like and getting that experience learning to work with them. Also having clore mindsets to be more creative and innovative in what works best for more people and expanding in cultural knowledge and growing to be humble around different people and more people with more array of skills

We can ride above stereotypes, respect and acknowledge that people will think differently from you, and respecting their schedules and time zones understanding what their priorities are even though they’re different than what May be your own or what you celebrate.

@Mari228

Good answer. Keep up the hard work!

CosmicMiracle December 3rd, 2022

@Mari228 I agree! One of the best things I love about Cups before I became a Listener is having access to people who can help me 24/7 <3 thank you for your thoughts!

@Heather225

As a diverse team, we have different perspectives on situations and hurdles, we reach a wide variety of individuals no matter their background, we delve into different time zones so that everyone feels included and most importantly, we learn about different cultures and become more mindful of stereotypes and the ways to get past them.

We can become respectful to different cultures by getting past the stereotypes and being respectful to everyone. Also, being mindful of scheduling our activities so as to accommodate everyone and respecting their celebration days. Scheduling our chats/activities while considering the time zones also helps.

@Heather225 Please list some advantages of a diverse team.

A diverse team helps teach us about various cultures, traditions and we meet people from different backgrounds. It helps us extend a helping hand all over the world covering different time zones. We would have a lot to learn from their experiences and gain knowledge about different people all over the world. We learn to offer support not only to our country citizens but also people from different countries and continents

People living all over the world can have different cultures, rituals and traditions. It is our duty to be respectful to everyone here at cups. We should have a nonjudgmental attitude and have an open mind about their culture. Our perspectives might not always match and might have conflicts between us but to avoid that we should be respecting and understanding each other. We should treat everyone as one and celebrate every culture here at cups as this platform is international and make this a place where everyone feels like home

November 7th, 2022

@yourbuddy30

well said there . I totally agree with everything you said there.

CosmicMiracle December 3rd, 2022

@yourbuddy30 I am on my last leg, Buddy! Yey!

And I agree, being able to extend helping hands for literally anyone in the world is such a powerful thing <3

iCareUK October 17th, 2022

@Heather225

- Being diverse enables everyone to receive the same love and care.

- It shows the wider world that regardless of anything, anyone can access services they need.

- It helps us to understand different backgrounds of others and shows us we are all the same human race and can all get along.

- Treating everyone the same.

- Not asking questions about culture (it doesn't matter after all)

- Stick to the same method regardless of the person.

November 7th, 2022

A 1. Different points of view and life experiences that can help solve problems.

2 Different times zones that can make sure each person can get the help they need

3 different ages can help make sure members that want a listener nearest to their aged would get cared for.

B

1 open minded to different ways of doing things and points of view.

2Make sure sessions are open for those in different times zones.

November 7th, 2022

@Goalsforlife

3 treat every one the same.

open-mindedness is very important when it comes to culture/diversity! :)