Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #10) Diversity, Cultural Differences, and Second Language Learners

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.

We are truly lucky to have a global community, rich in background and culture. In order to nurture our diverse community, we should each make a conscious effort to understand each other. The more we know, the more mindful we can be of one another's differences.

Please read this insightful doc written for us by @Hope.

Questions:
Please list some advantages of a diverse team.
How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

rriyad February 7th, 2022

@dudewithaplan

good one

CaringEzra February 13th, 2022

I really like the idea of being able to share cultures with each other, that is a really good idea<3

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022

The different perspectives can drive innovation

Allows us to reach and help more people situated outside of our country/culture.

Covers different time zones and allows us to support people living in different timezones

You get to learn about different cultures and practices which adds to your set of skills.

A wider range of skill sets available for the team which can fuel creativity and productivity.

Use simpler language, substitute big words for their simpler synonyms.

Provide context whenever possible

Rephrase your message if the person seems a bit confused

Be mindful of the differences between American and British English. Second language learners have either learned the British or American English and are often not aware of the slang words or common non-formal terms present in the other form of English.

Be forgiving of the tone of the message. Expressing the right tone through text communication can be difficult for a second language learner so don’t be quick to judge.

Provide constructive feedback to the learner if they are making the same mistake consistently and it's affecting the quality of their work. Choose the right words in providing feedback and pinpoint exactly what they can improve on. For example, saying ‘You are bad at English’ is not helpful but saying ‘I noticed that you forget to add a period at the end of your sentences’ that helps the person work on the error.

As someone who's first langue is definitely not English the points about being able to rephrase things, and providing context and being mindful of slang can be really helpful <3

MrS7v7n April 25th, 2022

@00Michelle00

Very good points here Michelle, thank you!

AliveandAlive January 29th, 2022

· Diverse teams come with diverse perspective and hence can drive innovation

· Allows us to reach more people outside of our country/culture.

· Allows us to support people living in different time zones

· Allows you to learn about different cultures

· A wider range of skill sets hence more creative and productive team

- By rising above the stereotypes

- By being respectful of individual beliefs

- By being mindful of schedules and availability

- By being considerate about the time zones

being no judgemental and rising above stereotypes is really good important when having a diverse team i belive<3

Zarram77 March 24th, 2022

@AliveandAlive I agree

anjellyna January 31st, 2022

@Heather225

a variety of perspectives, people can work at different time zones and thus take different shifts, different expertise, greater productivity

We should be mindful to be nonjudgemental, be aware of different time zones, not push any stereotypes, and re-evaluate our ethnocentric perspectives.

rrretsuko February 5th, 2022

@anjellyna being nonjudgmental is very important, especially on 7 cups :) the platform is very diverse and has people of so many different backgrounds and experiences. it's important to remember that not everyone is the same and that's okay !

MrS7v7n April 25th, 2022

@anjellyna

Agreed!

Livingtohelplive January 31st, 2022

Hello there!

Well i think it is a help with managing fears, prejudices and stereotypes and leading them to greater tolerance and respect for everything different.

People from diverse backgrounds might actually alter the behavior of a group’s social majority in ways that lead to improved and more accurate group thinking.

Greater diversity may also change the way that entire teams digest information needed to make the best decisions.

Our should always continue to innovate. One of the best ways to boost their capacity to transform themselves might be invilving more women and culturally diverse team members.

And here we can be openminded, treat everyone equally, accepting and willing to actively listen And empathize.

Sending strenght and energy!

Lots of love,

🌸Hana🌸

@Livingtohelplive it is so important to treat everyone equally <3 we need to learn to be respectful of one another and unbiased about cultures and backgrounds ! it strengthens professionalism

00Michelle00 February 3rd, 2022

@Heather225

You get to learn about different cultures and practices, which adds to your skills.

A wider range of skill sets is available for the team, fueling creativity and productivity. How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups? Be forgiving of the tone of the message.

@MinisterMichelle i do agree that learning about other cultures as well as experiences can improve your skills ! and you will be able to work better with others, too :) <3 it's important to remember that not one person is the exact same as another !

@MinisterMichelle

I agree!

@Heather225

a diverse team creates many different perspectives to learn from as well as cultures and backgrounds ! when you are working together with people who are not very similar to you in any sort of way, you learn more about others and i do believe that it can increase understanding, wisdom, and knowledge. you'll learn to work more easily with many different types of people :)

on 7 cups, we can be respectful of different cultures by not using stereotypes, being respectful of others and keeping in mind that everyone is different, and considering timezones. not everyone is from the same country, of course, and it's important to ask about availability and be considerate ! :)

MrS7v7n April 25th, 2022

@rrretsuko

Respectable answers here rrretsuko, Thank you for your answers !! (:

@Heather225

Ans. Diversity is helping to bring them closer to their targeted audiences, Diversity helps emphasise the appreciation of differences, Different perspective helps to bring the changes where needed.

Ans. By respecting their individual beliefs,consider others time zone in terms of chats and mindful of availability.

Aileen1114117 July 14th, 2022

Nice post! It looks like you really understand the advantages of a diverse team!

nessa104 February 10th, 2022

@Heather225

For me diversity in the team is lottery of new ideas and new thinking new approach which will create magic we can learn and grow as long from it as long as we are willing to learn and understand them.

We have to be respectful, patient with their ability and for giving space and not questioning the stereotypes also it will help other people like in their culture to to be more like them to feel welcomed . Hence it will motivate more people to come and more ideas

glowingSoul93 February 27th, 2022

@nessa104

This is great and I agree with you. We do need to be mindful of other cultures.

June 1st, 2022

@nessa104

i really like the unique way of thinking about this topic

• We can learn about and grow our understanding of different cultures

• We become more open-minded when we surround ourselves with different kinds of people

• able to reach and communicate with more people

• Come up with different creative ideas and solutions to problems

• Different perspectives and values

• creating a safe place for people from different cultures to express themselves

• educate ourselves of our friend's culture especially when they are different from ours

• "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

• Langue can often be a barrier so being patient and understanding

• Time zones are different so being mindful if someone is up late even if its a reasonable time for you

• Can put aside stereotypes and get to know people

@Estrellitaa

I agree and you done great on this subject!!

MrS7v7n April 25th, 2022

@Estrellitaa

Agreed! (I also enjoy the format and time you spent into your post here (:)

Nicely put Estrellitaa.

June 1st, 2022

@Estrellitaa

you really point of some really good points here. Keep up the good work you do here.

gentleFox20 June 6th, 2022

@Estrellitaa

I love how you mention creating a safe space. I hope that everyone who comes to cups feels embraced and accepted for who they are as well as feeling safe to express themselves.

Zahraa000 February 22nd, 2022

Question: please list some advantages of a diverse team. How can we be respectful diffrent cultures on 7 cups?

Oh, one of the most important advantages is diversity, because without diversity creativity stagnates! A platform of 7 cups is a global platform that includes many different countries in their cultures and diversity in all respects, so it is necessary to respect all existing cultures and respect their individual beliefs. Also, the leader is aware of the schedules and the availability of people in different cultures. We need to give each other enough space to grow and allow the reception Beautiful things like thoughts, openness, healing and integration.

@Zahraa000

I completely agree with you 7Cups is a diverse site and that's what makes it so great!

Rise above the stereotypes, Be respectful of individual beliefs, Be mindful of schedules and availability, Consider time zones. How we can be respectful is to talk to them normally and be patient with any member that we come into contact with even if we don’t know their language we can still listen to the member completely without disrespecting them.

@glowingSoul93

Being able to talk to members of any culture is great.

If someone wants to work on their English while talking with me and I'm listening, we can totally do that since with the diverse group of members on this website not everyone is English speaking, they might be Hindi and that's ok.

Dan76 April 11th, 2022

@glowingSoul93 yep, respect is key

NoelleListens February 27th, 2022

@Heather225

Some advantages of a diverse team are that you get to learn from people from different cultures and you get to see and learn from different points of view. We can be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups by creating a respectful environment, understanding different views, and not making assumptions about their culture and traditions.

MrS7v7n April 25th, 2022

@NoelleListens

Agreed Noelle, Nice thoughts !

magicmango26 March 20th, 2022

@Heather225

- Bringing people from different backgrounds & experiences creates a more inclusive environment.
- Having a diverse team allows individuals from different backgrounds & experiences to share their thoughts and bring together numerous answers and ideas.
- Another advantage is fostering a welcoming environment!

- It’s important to make others feel included by being friendly, accepting, welcoming, and patient.

@magicmango26 you are right.

KBeauty12 April 11th, 2022

@magicmango26

Very thoughtful indeed

Answer: The following are some advantages of a diverse team.

-> The different perspectives can drive innovation

-> Allows us to reach and help more people situated outside of our country/culture.

-> Covers different time zones and allows us to support people living in different timezones

-> You get to learn about different cultures and practices which adds to your set of skills.

-> A wider range of skill sets is available for the team can fuel creativity and productivity.

Answer: We can be respectful to different cultures on the 7cups by rising above the stereotypes, being respectful of the individual beliefs, being mindful of the schedules and availability, and considering time zones.

Dan76 April 11th, 2022

@Zarram77 yep, 100%