Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #10) Diversity, Cultural Differences, and Second Language Learners

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.

We are truly lucky to have a global community, rich in background and culture. In order to nurture our diverse community, we should each make a conscious effort to understand each other. The more we know, the more mindful we can be of one another's differences.

Please read this insightful doc written for us by @Hope.

Questions:
Please list some advantages of a diverse team.
How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@Heather225

-Increased productivity, increased creativity, a variety of perspectiives from persons from different walks of life,

-We can be respectful of different cultures on 7cups by being inclusvie of everyone and their differences, be willing to learn about the culture to get a better understanding of it, practicing and having patience with those who are not knowledgeable like us in areas such as technology, language, etc.

Glue June 29th, 2022

@PhoenixTears5972

Increased productivity is a good one, I didn't think to mention it! Creativity can absolutely lead to productive processes being made more efficient. Or streamlined somehow.

PhoenixTears5972 July 8th, 2022

@Glue Yes absolutely 😊

audienta June 30th, 2022

@PhoenixTears5972

I really like it that you mention that we need to have patience with others who are learning about other cultures, languages, etc. That's a really important point.

@audienta Thank you and yep thats quite right 😊

magicalOcean594 July 8th, 2022

@PhoenixTears5972

great job rewording the respectful advatages!

@magicalOcean594 Thank you 😊

Glue June 29th, 2022

@Heather225

Some advantages of a diverse team are that the different perspectives can drive innovation and creativity, and it also allows us to reach and help more people situated outside of our country/culture. I also want to add onto this that the more diverse a population is in their cultures, attitudes and values, the more different kinds of people are willing to speak up against what the status quo practices. People only need to know there’s a few supporters on their team to feel comfortable sharing criticism, and diversity encourages this comfort. This is especially useful when the status quo or some majority of the population is engaging in practices that are harmful, not useful or could be better somehow.

We can be respectful of different cultures on 7Cups by rising above stereotypes (acknowledging and being aware that stereotypes don’t apply to all people, and being willing to correct your own prejudices, as everyone has them), respecting individual beliefs (you might not always agree with someone, people are allowed to think differently from one another), being mindful of schedules and availability and considering time zones.

audienta June 30th, 2022

@Glue

Thank you for adding the point that having variety in our community creates a place where people can share criticism and wishes comfortable. That's a really important argument!

@Glue

oooo! i like that drive innovation. good point, thank you for sharing (:

audienta June 30th, 2022

@Heather225

• different perspective allow us to find new ideas
  • we can support people all over the world, since we cover different cultures, languages and time zones
  • we learn about different cultures and practices
  • our large skill set allows us to be creative and productive

• questioning our beliefs and overcome stereotypes
  • being respectful regarding different beliefs and finding mutual agreements
  • being mindful about different celebrations
  • considering time zones
  • supporting listeners who speak English as a second language by keeping the language barrier as small as possible

CalmWaves3939 July 11th, 2022

@audienta

It is great you picked up on the different parts of the world especially since 7 cups is 24/7 it is best to have people from different time zones and backgrounds :) Thank you for the great answer <3

Waves

Here4good74 September 11th, 2022

@audienta your points are spot on, we'll said!

@sunnyLion4273

i like how you worded, less separate from each other on a human stand point, I really enjoyed reading your discussion read. great point! and great job describing the rules. thank you !

@Heather225

Questions:

Please list some advantages of a diverse team
Covering different time zones
I get to learn about different cultures and practices which adds to my set of skills.

Rising above the stereotypes. Everyone is equal in my eyes, to be a leader entails to lead with wisdom and love. And seeing everyone as a whole but different, without the β€œstereotype” in the middle. Also different is good, but we don't have to stereo type it,

Being respectful of others beliefs, for me this is important i believe what i want to believe, and that doesn't give me a right to feel everyone should follow what i believe, we all believe in differences and similarities and there's no wrong way too it, being respectful and kind. You also never know you might learn a thing or two from someone else's belief:)

Being mindful of schedules and other availability and considering time zones, i have to remember 7 cups is globe wide, that means just because I'm up someone else isn't. So we have to come into the middle of an understanding when working with someone, and if we cant make time then that's ok, there is lots of listeners out there especially in each time zone that will help a member out if we cant. So there is no reason to make a fuss. Also most of 7 cups is volunteer work that people take out of their busy schedules. Or work schedules to volunteer and help other members/listeners so its important to remember that and be mindful and respectful over the lives outside of 7 cups just because we don't know what they are doing doesn't mean they aren't busy.
CalmWaves3939 July 11th, 2022

@magicalOcean594

Thank you for this answer Ocean <3 You did great :) It was a very detailed explanation and a pleasure to read

Waves

LoveTracker July 13th, 2022

@magicalOcean594

Great explanation. Keep Going!

Aileen1114117 July 12th, 2022

-Different perspectives can derive innovation

-Allows people from other countries to reach help

-Allows us to support people in different timezones

-We get to learn about different cultures

-Wider range of skill sets available for the team

-rise above stereotypes

-be respectful of an individual's beliefs

CalmWaves3939 July 12th, 2022

@Aileen1114117

Great response! Some good advantages listed thank you <3

Aileen1114117 July 13th, 2022

Thank you! I read your post and you also have great response and so many insights actually! : )

SparklingSeashells July 14th, 2022

@Aileen1114117

Diversity allows inclusion here at 7cups, I like what you've written.

Here4good74 September 11th, 2022

@Aileen1114117 thanks for those thoughtful answers, well said

yourbuddy30 October 9th, 2022

@Aileen1114117 I agree with you! Thank you for sharing

CalmWaves3939 July 12th, 2022

@Heather225

1)Some advantages of a diverse team can include a wide variety of different perspectives. This can help people gain awareness and understanding of different cultures to help support members. A diverse team can also help us learn about different cultures' values and beliefs. This is important to create self-awareness and understand members more and help understand individuals' cultures. Some more advantages include covering many time zones allowing us to be 24/7 and the ability to support others outside of our location. :)

2) We can be respectful of different cultures on 7 cups by remaining non-judgemental and respecting everyone's differences. It is also important not to stereotype as this can lead to an unhappy and negative environment where people do not feel safe or included. It is important to be mindful of how our words can be perceived and can affect others. We can respect different cultures by also being aware that people may have different schedules and time zones than we do. If you do not respect that others may not be available at the same times as you then you could be creating a barrier to effective communication.

@CalmWaves3939

cAn really hear the importance of awareness in your reply!

LoveTracker July 13th, 2022

@Heather225

First and Foremost, thanks to HOPE for bringing out such a wonderful , simple and precise doc on such a great topic. "Hats Off"

1. We get to learn many new things , new views, new methods of understanding and solving many types of issues or problems.

2. Get a chance to know wide range of skills , to nourish creativity and productivity.

1. By rising above some stereotypes.

2. Respecting individual tradition, culture and beliefs.

3. Respecting the time zones.

@LoveTracker

Agree, wonderful doc.

Learning seems to be a biggy, it allows us to broaden our views.

WarmLightXO July 28th, 2022

Respecting time zones, yes! <3

kenzolena August 6th, 2022

@LoveTracker

Said it neatly.

"little reminder: your loved"

- Lena

@Heather225

Advantages of a diverse team. A diverse team means that everyone brings something to the team, our diversity is a strength! Here at 7cups, it means that there is always a listener available due to timezones, people can talk to someone in their language, it doesn’t matter if two people don’t get along, everyone is so diverse that there will be someone.

How can we be respectful of cultures? We can show understanding, wanting to learn about different cultures, rise above stereotypes so people have the chance to be themselves without judgement.

Time zones are as much a blessing as a curse :p

@SparklingSeashells

You said it neatly.

" a little reminder: Your loved"

- Lena

blissfulTouch29 July 22nd, 2022

Please list some advantages of a diverse team. 1. you get to learn something new. 2 you get to help more people ect.
How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups? listen and be kind

Learning, yessss

@blissfulTouch29

You said this nice, I hope people are more like that.

- Lena

blissfulForest7074 August 11th, 2022

@blissfulTouch29

'Listen and be kind' a simple yet a wonderful answer.

blissfulTouch29 August 11th, 2022

@blissfulForest7074 thank you

August 22nd, 2022

@blissfulForest7074

Spot on πŸ‘

These are great qs!

Please list some advantages of a diverse team. We all have different worldviews, which means we can piece together a larger one than any individual.

How can we be respectful of different cultures on 7 Cups? Being gentle if people don't speak English well in chatrooms, being mindful of stereotypes, and understanding cultural differences such as when holidays roll around :)

Ninziesss July 30th, 2022

@Heather225

It's nice to know people from different back grounds and ages. You can learn so much from each other and it's great to see so much diversity. It just adds really nice elements.

To encourage everyone and don't mock each other for their cultural differences or misspellings with words.