Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Cognitive Skills Activity: Future Mental Health Scenario Analysis

SoulfullyAButterfly October 5th, 2023

Ready to develop critical thinking, complexity awareness, perspective skills, and long-term orientation? We have an interesting activity for you!

Scenario: Imagine a future where the prevalence of mental health challenges continues to rise due to various societal factors, such as increased stress, social isolation, and economic uncertainty.

Instructions:

1. Research the Scenario: Gather information from credible sources on the factors contributing to the projected increase in mental health challenges. Explore different viewpoints and expert opinions on this issue.

2. Identify Key Factors: Identify the key factors and driving forces that contribute to the complexity of the scenario. Consider both short-term and long-term factors, such as the impact of technology, healthcare policies, and social support systems.

3. Create A Scenario: Develop 1 more future scenario that envisions how mental health challenges might evolve over the next 5 years. The scenario should cover a range of possibilities, from optimistic to pessimistic.

4. Analyze and Evaluate: Apply critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate each scenario. Assess the credibility of the evidence and assumptions underlying each scenario.

5. Complexity Mapping: Create a visual representation (e.g., a mind map or diagram) that illustrates the interconnectedness of factors and causes within each scenario. Highlight potential cause-and-effect relationships.

6. Perspective Consideration: During your analysis, actively seek and incorporate insights from diverse and contrasting viewpoints. Consider how different stakeholders, including individuals, healthcare providers, and policymakers, might perceive and respond to each scenario.

7. Long-Term Vision: For each scenario, explore the long-term implications and potential outcomes for mental health and society as a whole. Formulate a vision or commitment that aligns with the broader context and takes into account the extended future.

8. Compare and Reflect: Compare and contrast the different scenarios, considering their complexity, credibility, and long-term implications. Reflect on what you've learned about the future of mental health and your ability to think critically and anticipate future developments.

Share your brainstorming, analysis, or reflections in the comments to this post!

RedStar01 October 21st, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Nice project  ...  who will be funding it and how much will be avaiable over the next few years for research and analysis? 

SoulfullyAButterfly OP October 21st, 2023

@RedStar01 Hi there, this is an activity we can all reflect on and share insights about. It is a hypothetical scenario. 

RedStar01 October 22nd, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I would like to focus on identifying negative and detrimental elements in our current social condition and discuss what we can do to reduce the impact on our mental condition as individuals and as part of of society .... maybe we can come up with a list of such mind polluting factors, prioritise them in their saverity and suggest some srrategies to reduce or eliminate their debilitating impact on our mental health. 

I find there are a number of politically motivated reasons for not advancing a greater use and a better anderstanding for the application of critical thought development systems in contemporary society providing for greater tolerance of all sorts of excuses for low levels of education, poor communication and thinking skills to justify greater compliance with mass manipulation and propaganda which reduced the overall intellectual potential of a given population.

Kristynsmama December 13th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly and @hope

hmmmm this is definitely worth thinking about.

WeEarth December 15th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thinking about the future of mental health, I looked at different views on stress, technology, and healthcare. I imagined scenarios ranging from things getting better to more challenges ahead. I used critical thinking to check the facts and think about the big picture.

Thinking long-term, I saw the need for solutions that fit into our bigger society. This process helped me think better, understand complexity, and stay focused on long-term goals, in line with my commitment to tackle tough issues.

bouncyMusic133 January 14th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for your post. 

I want to comment on Research the Scenario.

Research the Scenario: Gather information from credible sources on the factors contributing to the projected increase in mental health challenges. Explore different viewpoints and expert opinions on this issue.

I feel that this is really important because in anything we do, I feel that we should gather information before we make decisions. Sometimes we can just go with our guts, but sometimes things does not turn well or people get hurt in the process. So I just wanted to comment that this is a really good point that anyone can use in their life to make a decision about anything in life. 

warmMemory6263 February 21st

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Scenario: Imagine a future where the prevalence of mental health challenges continues to rise due to various societal factors, such as increased stress, social isolation, and economic uncertainty.

I believe in a world were there would be a rise in mental health would be chaos, confusion, and norms and standard actions and beliefs being reversed. \

Tamar J. 

ScorpiaD June 28th

@SoulfullyAButterfly I took some time to think about this one. What came to my mind is how I stayed active during the pandemic. This was a time where cognitive thinking came into play. While being cooped up in a house for four years was not fun, utilizing that time by creating activities kept me busy.

CrescentSkylar August 28th

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Nice project

FirmWind September 2nd

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I plan to incorporate this activity into this year's academic structure and come back here with some proper research and analysis. This might make a good pre-thesis paper too :)