Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

optimism. for those who want happiness

Hermionetps August 25th

As a child, I was always jumping with joy here and there. I had this radiance about me gosh, you wouldn't believe the joy. my outlook on life tainted by nothing but the brightest of hues. I remember one particular incident that might help you guys realise my never endind everylasting joy. I must have been roughly 7 or 8 years old when I found a stray dog wandering the streets near my home. Without a moment's hesitation, I scooped up the pup, determined to provide it with food, shelter and a loving home. Despite my limited means as a child, I refused to give in to the notion that I couldn't make a difference. You wouldn't believe what i did. i found a card board Amazon box which had just come in with a delivery and made it that sweet puppies home. i even shared my food with it. though i knew not to give him chocalates. In the end, my mom and i were able to connect the dog with a nearby animal rescue, overjoyed that I had played a role in giving the creature a second chance.

Somewhere along the way, however, that unwavering optimism began to fade. The daily grind of adult responsibilities, the discouraging news cycles, and the general negativity that can surf into our lives all took a toll. I found myself becoming more rude, asserive, always afraid of  betrayal and what not also,less willing to believe that positive change was possible.

This course has been a revelation, reminding me of the reality of optimism. Through reflection exercises , I've rediscovered the child-like wonder that used to be my default setting. Now, I approach each day with a new sense of hope, believing that I can make a genuine impact, no matter how small the gesture.

Discussion Questions:

What are some of the key factors that can was away our natural optimism as we grow older? How can we consciously work to maintain a more hopeful outlook?

Describe a time when your own optimism and determination helped you overcome a challenge or make a positive difference. What did you learn from that experience?

How can we cultivate a culture of optimism within our communities, workplaces, and society at large? What are some concrete steps we can take?

fruityHoliday63 September 3rd

@Hermionetps

What are some of the key factors that can wear away our natural optimism as we grow older? How can we consciously work to maintain a more hopeful outlook?

Not everyone would agree but personally I feel a key factor that can take away the natural optimism with age include the missing connection with the inner self or some spirituality which if is not learnt early then would make it harder for one to retain that optimism while facing life's challenges. Spiritual practices help one maintain a more hopeful outlook by positive affirmations and reflections to be realistic.

Describe a time when your own optimism and determination helped you overcome a challenge or make a positive difference. What did you learn from that experience?

One instance could be when my friends and I helped a cat, much similar to the original story in the post. It was a group effort but we got a bunch of cats adopted by connecting them to animal support also. These cats were homeless and we worked to get them home. I think I learned from that experience is to keep the idea of the best possible world alive and to keep going on to realise it.

How can we cultivate a culture of optimism within our communities, workplaces, and society at large? What are some concrete steps we can take?

A few concrete steps to cultivate optimism within communities I feel could be sharing songs and also watching movies showing or reminding optimism, by having discussions or guided conversations on troubles, challenges and misery to be able to process and help come to the other side.

Ashen4 September 7th

@Hermionetps

What a poignant post—so many of us have that experience of losing the optimism we had in our childhood. For me, a key factor was just the realism of differences and disagreements we have with other people in our lives and the compounding weight of mundane responsibilities (healthcare, taxes, paperwork, voting...) that really makes it difficult to even carve time out in your life to enjoy other things. 

To cultivate a culture of optimism, I think it's important to contribute and talk about the things that make you happy (even if that makes you vulnerable), to find other people who consume and enjoy the same things.

Anooshay Wednesday

@HermionetpsYour moving tale serves as a powerful reminder of the strength of optimism. Stress, setbacks, and exposure to unfavorable news can all weaken our innate optimism as we age. We may intentionally cultivate thankfulness, look for good things in life, and surround ourselves with encouraging people to keep a cheerful attitude.

For me, optimism got me through a difficult academic assignment that had a lot of obstacles. I eventually finished the assignment effectively by maintaining an optimistic outlook and concentrating on little victories. This taught me that hope and persistence can lead to significant accomplishments even in the face of adversity.

We may encourage helpful interactions, celebrate minor victories, and foster good communication in our communities and workplaces to foster an optimistic culture.