Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Relating: How Communities have Changed in the Modern World

reginalistener18 March 27th

This path course provided valuable insights, teaching us the various qualities and skills needed for personal growth and effective leadership. One dimension I found the most compelling was the dimension of relating- caring for others and the world. Before reading this, I’ve already recognized the importance of strong emotional bonds and social connections. Particularly, with people in our community. Without this, the quality of life for each individual and the community as a whole will be diminished. But this course also reminded me that the actions we take today shape the foundation for the future generations to come. If we live in a world so isolated from one another, in the future, that gap will be even wider. 

This reminded me of something I saw on social media. It was a long time ago and I can’t remember the full context but I remember one mom asking if “things have always been like this?” regarding stories of children who were put in danger and had no one to help them. An older woman responded to her question “No. Back then we took care of each other”. This relates to the relating dimension. Back then, it seems that there was a greater sense of community between neighbors. Families would get together for dinner, children would go hang out in the park together, block parties and community picnics, etc. Neighbors would check on other neighbors and ask for favors or perform some acts of kindness because they’ve built that relationship where people felt safe and supported. 

I think this is what is missing in our world today. We lost the skill of connectedness. We are so focused on our own lives that we fail to see the bigger picture: our relationships with others, with humanity, and with the global ecosystem. This disconnect has also impacted our capacity for empathy, making it challenging to understand and extend kindness to others. When we fail to relate to one another, we lose our ability to foster compassion and understanding. This can be dangerous. It’s what can lead to inequalities, social injustice, environmental problems, etc. 

What do you guys think? Do you agree that our neighbors and communities are less connected than in the past? Is this something you see in your own neighborhood or communities? What are some tips on fostering connections and empathy that you can used to address these issues? 

NicoletteF March 29th

@reginalistener18

I would agree with the statement that our communities and neighbors are less connected than ever before. It seems like with the onset of technology, many of us retreat to our phones instead of socializing with those around us, simply because it has become out of the norm to start conversation with strangers. I feel that I have seen this take place in school, where many students will resort to their phones when in a class full of people they don't know rather than initiating conversation. One way that we can address this is by simply complimenting someone, which could lead to a conversation that would prevent us from retreating to our phones. By doing this, we can slowly begin to normalize socializing with others regularly rather than using our phones to look busy during what could have been an opportunity to build a connection. 

Hope April 7th

@reginalistener18

What an interesting observation!

I think anyone who was around before internet came into being or became mainstream would know the world looked a lot different. Agreed there was a great sense of belonging and people did help each other in thick and thin. 

I agree connectedness is indeed something missing. When it became easier for you to read up on all sorts of things, connect with people around the world, learn about anything, somewhere along the line, everyone evolved to be this unique person acquiring culture from a very different part of the world. When you lose common values or change to become a very different person, its hard to relate to the people who are physically close to you. 

When people had no choice, they were satisfied with whatever company they had. Now for better or worse, we have become pickier. Some time ago I came across a short video by a philosopher who mentioned that if you wish to be integrated in society, you can not pick and choose the people you want to associate with. A wedding will have people that you may not like or appreciate, similarly most social gatherings require flexibility on our parts. I think we have become less tolerant of putting up with some undesirable elements in life.

I think broadly, this was the fate of intellectuals from all periods of time but now this is becoming more or less something experienced by most average human beings. I think we need to make an active effort to stay connected and remain a part of local communities, it is no longer something we can casually maintain

Sompo2402 April 25th

@reginalistener18

It's interesting to reflect on the changes in community connections over time. Many people do feel that there has been a decline in community bonds and a rise in individualistic attitudes. Factors such as busy lifestyles, increased reliance on technology, and urbanization have contributed to this shift. However, there are still many ways to foster connections and empathy in our neighborhoods and communities:

1. Get to know your neighbors: Take the time to introduce yourself and learn about the people living around you. Small gestures like saying hello or offering to help can go a long way.

2. Join community events: Participate in local events, such as block parties, community clean-ups, or neighborhood watch programs. These events provide opportunities to meet new people and build relationships.

3. Volunteer: Find ways to give back to your community through volunteering. Whether it's at a local shelter, school, or community center, volunteering can help you connect with others who share your values.

4. Attend local meetings: Attend town hall meetings or community forums to stay informed about local issues and get involved in discussions. This can help you understand the needs of your community better and find ways to contribute positively.

5. Practice empathy: Take the time to listen to others and try to understand their perspectives. Show compassion and kindness in your interactions, even with those you may not agree with.

By taking these steps, we can work towards building stronger, more connected communities where empathy and kindness are valued.

Callmemav April 30th

@reginalistener18

That very interesting 

Rach4 May 30th

@reginalistener18 

I definitely agree that there's been a decrease in the level of connectedness within a community. One way to foster connections would be to set aside an hour or two every few days where you spend time outside, go to a park or any community spaces that you have in your area and talk to people, make friends, and find other like minded people who want to maintain such connections! 

Hollytail May 31st

@reginalistener18

I think you raised an interesting point. I agree with you, people, especially who live in a big city tend to lose connections with neighbors. From my perspective, I cannot say whether it is a generally good or bad thing, I would rather call a a natural progress of human developments. Nowadays people got more opportunities to choose whether they with to spend with others physically or not. Also, people might start to explore more about themselves using the time they once spent with others, so it is like more about 'choice'.  

seaturtle54 July 31st

@reginalistener18

I definitely agree; I used to live with my grandparents and they were good friends with basically all of their neighbors and they always helped each other out, whereas now at our new house we've barely talked to our neighbors since they always seem really passive aggressive or unfriendly. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with this because people shouldn't be forced to have relationships with their neighbors if they don't want to, but I think just remaining friendly and inviting neighbors to gatherings or giving them little gifts around the holidays could be a good way to build connections without being too forcceful.

@reginalistener18

life before the internet had a stronger sense of community and support. Nowadays, with so much global access and individualism, it’s harder to relate to those around us as our interests and values shift. We’ve become pickier and less tolerant of those who don’t align with our preferences. To stay connected and involved in local communities, we need to put in more effort—it’s not something that just happens on its own anymore.

Onyx000 August 17th

@reginalistener18 🖤

Paul07 August 19th

I do think neighbors and communities are less connected than in the past. In my own neighborhood, people seem more isolated, often keeping to themselves. Perhaps, arranging community events in local areas, in my case, my local park could help counteract this issue?

Ashen4 September 8th

@reginalistener18

You bring up a lot of interesting points here that I've never even considered, but I absolutely agree. I think that our unfettered access to people over the internet (which is an interface that also reduces our capacity for empathy, by removing faces and voices from the equation) overloads our brains and leads us to select people that are easier to get along with instead of trying to build connections to the people we already have. I'm not sure how to address the issues at a cultural level, but I hope communities can continue to hold more in-person events that appeal to others in the community, and prioritize community centers (like public libraries) to spur more relationships between local members of a community.