Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Overcoming fears about bees through loving them

LonleyCheese May 10th

I got bees a couple of weeks ago, and i'd helped with a beekeeping group all throughout last summer. It's honestly amazing to see how far I have come, because two years ago I would refuse to go outside and I would run away if I thought I saw one, and now I'm standing right next to the hive while bees are flying in and out at random. I've really grown to love the girls over the past year or two now, and I couldn't be more honored to be a beekeeper. My little brother is the same as I used to be, but I think that eventually, he'll warm up to them too! I'm really proud of myself, and grateful for my mother for supporting my special interest. Stay safe out there!

slowdecline48 May 11th

You mentioned "the girls". Are there any male bees in the hive? Or do they die as soon as they've served their purpose?

MistyMagic May 11th

@LonleyCheese I think it is the pain of a sting, I vividly remember when I was stung whilst out in the park with my kids, it was sooooo painful and seemed to build! But I love bees now and have so many different kinds, solitary bees mainly.

We need more bee pics please :) and High 5, you are very brave and we are very proud of you!

high-five-bees.gif

Listening - One Step At A Time!

LonleyCheese OP May 13th

@MistyMagic funny enough, I have never been stung! But I know that it will happen at some point soon. Also yes, I agree!! I love our solitary bee pals!!

MistyMagic May 30th

@LonleyCheese How are the 'girls'?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

LonleyCheese OP August 4th

@MistyMagic they're doing pretty well! I haven't been on cups during the summer, so there's a lot to catch-up on! I need to treat them for varroa mites and they've been getting attacked by wasps, but we're having a great nectar flow and the hives are full of honey! I even had a harvest recently and got about five gallons of honey from one hive! <: 

PetiteSouris August 7th

@LonleyCheese

winnie-the-pooh-honey.gif

slowdecline48 August 7th

@LonleyCheese Cool. How about an update? It's been almost three months now. We want to know what's going on with the hives!

greka7 August 8th

@LonleyCheese

Hey there, it's so cool to see you overcoming your fear. Hope your brother comes to share the same love for bees as you do :))