Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weird hobby

AndrewJohn1504 August 8th

Hello everyone

I want to share with you one of my hobbies

I collect and train with traditional japanese and chinese weapons. When I was 11 after watching Phantom Menace I picked up broom stick and I tried to immitate darth maul sinced then I collected over 40 weapons (nunchucks, staffs, swords, knives, chains and much more). 

Is here someone with similar hobby? 

Tinywhisper11 August 8th

@AndrewJohn1504 well noone wants to get your your bad side😂😂😂😂 I don't have similar hobbies, although that all sounds pretty cool ❤

AndrewJohn1504 OP August 8th

@Tinywhisper11 Thank you so much. Sometimes I feel that people think that I'm weird because of my unusual hobbies

Tinywhisper11 August 8th

@AndrewJohn1504 aww sweetie, ignore the haters.(I know that's easier said than done) but why should your hobby be branded as any different to karate, judo, sword fighting. Your hobby is pretty cool, I bet you could put on a great show. I'd love to be able to see your skills. Your definitely not wierd ❤❤

@Tinywhisper11

I love showing people my skills, I spent 9 years learning them but not many people really want to see this 

Tinywhisper11 August 9th

@AndrewJohn1504 well I would, and I'm sure lots of others here would to ❤

Tinywhisper11 August 9th

@Tinywhisper11 you've had alot of positive replys ❤❤ I hope you feel a bit more accepted now, for having your cool hobby ❤❤

AndrewJohn1504 OP August 9th

@Tinywhisper11

I think I do. I'm so glad that I wrote this thread

@AndrewJohn1504 That is so cool.. I have always wanted to try stuff like that but I have zero faith in not hurting myself in the process... but that is so awesome that you are able to try out different traditional weapons and are good with them. 

@consideratePower6518

Learning those things is hard and long process. It's important to take it slow and start with easier weapons like bo staff. Then you can start with some "soft" (flexible) weapons like three section stuff or nunchucks. 

NothingAwakened August 8th

valhalla awaits

i make swords and stuff

@NothingAwakened

Wow that's amazing!

I remember when I was 15 I was obsessed with this show on history "forged in fire"

yeah. I can still remember half the smiths faces, they all hold deep honor in my heart. but some of those dorks had inconsistent work lol. I'm still learning too. Very worth shaping steel.

LovesSprintCars August 8th

@NothingAwakened That's pretty neat! I can't say I've done anything like that, the closest I got was making a little bow out of q-tips 😂

NothingAwakened August 12th

your fine crafts will be remembered in the halls of haphaestus!

slowdecline48 August 14th

@NothingAwakened If you feel that your swords & other things are good enough, you could sell them on Etsy...

(Just a thought)

genericbeing August 8th

@AndrewJohn1504 I collect and throw hatchets and axes. I have 5 full axes, and like 30 hatchets. It scares people until they see me doing it. Its fun. I've also cut myself (Accidentally!) a dozen times and almost once chopped off my toes. I'm very good at it now thugh, but I get a lot of weird/disgusting comments when I buy axes because people automatically associate them with "murderers" from like horror movies.

@genericbeing

Few years ago I wanted to buy some throwing knives but my parents really hated that idea so I stick to other weapons. I can't count how many times i had bruses because of this hobby but it in dead looks great when i spin staff or nunchucks. That's just so satisfying to do and watch

genericbeing August 8th

@AndrewJohn1504 I had throwing knives until I was throwing them at a tree and lost a few and they almost got sucked up in the lawn mower lol.

axes are fine craft, thank you indeed

carefulBike8432 August 8th

That sounds like an awesome hobby! I don't collect but one Christmas I bought 3 of my brother's machetes. I like weapons and guns

@carefulBike8432

Sounds like great Christmas. I would love that kind of a gift

genericbeing August 8th

@carefulBike8432 I have a lot of weapons too, all kinds.

BlueDarkAurora August 9th

@AndrewJohn1504 That's super cool ^^ My hobby is to collect things for all the hobbies that I might get to someday in the near future ~(`^`)~

Tinywhisper11 August 9th

@BlueDarkAurora 😂😂😂😂😂😂 that's a um....🤔🤔...unique hobby😂😂😂😂😂

@Tinywhisper11 I know right xD 

cool-sunglasses.gif

Tinywhisper11 August 9th

@BlueDarkAurora 😂😂😂😂😂 you make me smile😂😂😂 ❤❤

@Tinywhisper11 :O best compliment ever <3_<3

Tinywhisper11 August 10th

@BlueDarkAurora ❤❤❤

they call this ambition! a splendid hobby!

BlueDarkAurora August 12th

@NothingAwakened xD thanks 

@AndrewJohn1504

coooooooooool

i once wanted to collect blades and weapons..but thats outlawed where i live so i only had a couple of knives

i used to collect yu gi oh cards when i was a middle schooler and have over 800 of them now but i stopped cus i had a phase where i thought i could save my allowence and invest it in something

however i unintentionally collected ovver 300 pocket size story books from my days of being a nerd until i got too busy with school and what not

sweetnutella August 14th

This sounds very cool! 😵🔥 but I wonder about a few things! Do these things corrode at all? How do you manage to take care of them if they require maintenance? And are they the real deal or replicas? I have sooo many questions! xD

AndrewJohn1504 OP August 14th

Hey

I have over 20 knives and 2 other blades and yes they corrode but the rest of my arsenal is training weapon or things like staffs that doesnt have metal parts. Im using special knife oil once in few months but when Im using blade more often Im using oil every few weeks. Its also important to keep them in dry places. 

My sword are replicas or bokens (swords made of wood or other material, used for training) but knifes are a real thing and I keep them sharp all the time

dhabib August 16th

@AndrewJohn1504 r u a warrior samurai