I knew that this was something major. 

My sister sat down on my bed and said, 

"I think this is the start of an invasion."

All I could think of were the nights

I prayed that it wouldn't come to this,

The families whose lives were changed forever,

And promises our leaders didn't keep. 

I watched the bombs fall on my hometown, 

My heart breaking every time I watched the news. 

How can those people sleep at night

After destroying Mariupol?

I'll never forget the air raid sirens

That preceded so much pain and devastation.

I'll never forget the courage of Ukraine, 

And everyone I loved and lost in this invasion.

Tinywhisper11 June 28th

@Cadence2024 😥 well done sweetie, that was written really well ❤ my heart goes out to you, and all the lives effected by war

Cadence2024 OP June 28th

@Tinywhisper11

Thank you Tiny! 🤗 *hugs and shares cookies*

Tinywhisper11 June 28th

@Cadence2024 thanks for the cookies 🙂 ❤ I really hope your doing ok now ❤ I know this has been very hard for you😥 hugs you tightly ❤

Cadence2024 OP June 28th

@Tinywhisper11

You're such a sweetheart, I appreciate you so much 💗

slowdecline48 June 29th

@Cadence2024 A necessary reminder for those of us who aren't paying much attention. Every war has its costs, whether we consider the war just or not. (Like most people in the West, I believe Russia's invasion is quite unjust & deserves to fail) The lists of KIA & property reduced to rubble & dust are only the most obvious of those costs.

It's good that you wrote this. You are in my thoughts today.

Cadence2024 OP June 29th

@slowdecline48

Thank you so much for your kind words, it means a lot to me that someone else is paying attention 💗 I wrote this one about the invasion of Ukraine specifically because I'm from Ukraine originally, but I also wrote it in solidarity with every innocent civilian of other wars who had to suffer as a result of politicians' greed and incompetence!

slowdecline48 June 30th

@Cadence2024 There are plenty of people in the West paying attention to it. Just because Ukraine is not the hot topic of the week doesn't mean every last person just forgot... It's true that the masses do have a short memory. But not all of us have surrendered our attention spans to the news media or to whatever siloed media feeds we get from (anti)social media.

In this case, one of the saddest things about Ukraine is that the current war isn't the first one. Russia has pulled this s*** at least once every century since the Russian principalities merged into a single state under a tsar. It happened during the Russian revolution/civil war, during WW2 the Soviet Union briefly swallowed Ukraine completely, etc. Russia always wants to enlarge itself westward; every time Ukraine & the other eastern European nations are in the way, so... 😔