Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Snakes Hobby Journal

DancingSnakes December 17th, 2022

'Ello!

I don't particularly know what I'm doing here, but I'm hoping to use this thread as a way to track my progress in my various hobbies. As well as remind myself when I'm at a low point that creativity will come back.

And, if this also helps any of you become inspired? Good. My mission is complete.

I like to sketch, paint, make clay miniatures, take care of my plants, read, write- in the form of short stories or worldbuilding, and experimenting with any form of art medium I can get my hands on.

DancingSnakes OP December 17th, 2022

_1671252770.20220830_163858.jpg

Detective Inspector Otter- all ready to go solve mysteries.

SleepyShyCat December 17th, 2022

@DancingSnakes

I LOVE Detective Inspector Otter, how cute!! I love the oversized coat too, I wonder what mysteries inspector otter has solved πŸ€”πŸ•΅πŸ»πŸ¦¦

@SleepyShyCat
I'm glad you like it Cat!
Maybe the mystery of the Clamdestine Fox? Clam shipments keep disappearing before they reach the vendors. Possible suspects include the Captain Bear & his crew of the fishing boat The Mariposa. Or perhaps it could be the Dock Master Muskrat?

ChickensandHotCocoa December 20th, 2022

I love detective otter and the line work, I love it!!

tommy December 20th, 2022

@DancingSnakes

He is adorable

@DancingSnakes

I'm glad to see you here and looking forward to seeing any of the hobbies you post 😸

Clay miniatures sound very fun!! I enjoy taking care of plants too, although my houseplants are feeling a bit sad with the lack of sun the weather has been providing recently.

@SleepyShyCat

Thanks!

Thats understandable, my house plants are also missing the sun. I mainly have cacti with a few air plants and venus flytraps mixed in. What kinds of plants do you have if you dont mind me asking?

@DancingSnakes

I have a couple cacti varieties, a lot of different succulents (mostly aeoniums and aloes) my favourite two are probably my string of pearls and my jades. I also keep prayer plants, ferns, rubber plant, umbrella plant, spiderwort, spider plants... The list goes on and those are just the house plants, I might have an obsession lol. I enjoy looking after them πŸͺ΄πŸŒΏ

@SleepyShyCat

Thats awesome. & hey, it's a pretty healthy obsession that has some pretty good health benefits. I hope to have a ton of plants as well but I'm currently limited in space & money. Currently have 20 so far, they're all pretty small ones & currently are trying to take over my desk. My favorites are my dragon fruit, venus flytraps, and haworthia.

@DancingSnakes

I've been slowly adding to my collection over a couple of years, and it helps that I have friends who are kind enough to give me cuttings of their plants and I grow some from those. We trade cuttings every so often if we ever get a new plant 😊

And 20 is a good collection! Soon you'll have no more desk lol, I'm currently in the middle of reorganising my plants to create more space.

I've never managed to keep a venus fly trap alive :0

DancingSnakes OP December 18th, 2022

@SleepyShyCat

Awe, that's nice. I got a couple of mine from friends as well.

Yup. They currently take up about a third of my desk. This spring I'm undoubtedly going to have to come up with some way to expand 'cause some have started to outgrow their pots. Especially my dragon fruit. I wish you the best of luck in reorganizing yours, as I've no clue what I'll do with mine.

Oh no. If you like, I can give you tips if you decide to try growing one again? I started out with 2 last February and now have six, so I guess I'm doing something right with mine.

MistyMagic December 17th, 2022

@DancingSnakes Welcome to Hobby Journals! And I love Detective Inspector Otter too! I have added your Journal to our master list here too.

Listening - One Step At A Time!

@MistyMagic

Thanks! I'm happy you like the DI as well.

SparklyFly December 17th, 2022

Those are wonderful hobbies. I love to do Random Acts of Kindness so I paint rocks and hide them

@SparklyFly

That's cool! What do you paint on them? Do you have a favorite? I've never painted rocks before but I have used crayon on them once. Now have a flat oval rock with little waves going across it.

EmbStitcher33 December 17th, 2022

@DancingSnakes

Hi Dancing... Just stopped by to say hi. Cute bear sketch!.

I'm growing aloe plants. Got a bunch of babies I have to replant next spring. We've got them under grow lights now. What kind of plants are you growing?

DancingSnakes OP December 18th, 2022

@EmbStitcher33

Hey Emb! Though that is an otter, looking at it now, it does look a bit like a bear.

That's awesome! I think my first house plant was an aloe, but it got too big, and I had to give it away. :sad: I hope your babies grow well! I'm currently growing a dragon fruit, lady finger cactus, haworthia, sky plant, medusa air plant, venus flytraps, bunny ear cactus, spiny pincushion cactus, some hen and chick, and two other cacti & one succulent, which I don't know the names of. When it gets closer to spring, I may also be trying to grow some flowers outside as I've been given some garden space, and I have a packet of wildflower mix. Dunno if that'll happen though.

EmbStitcher33 December 24th, 2022

@DancingSnakes

Wow, you've got quite the variety. Hope they all winter over well. We'll probably plant some flowers too in the spring. We've got some daffodils that will come up too.

DancingSnakes OP January 21st, 2023

@EmbStitcher33

Thank you, & sorry it's taken me so long to respond back to you. I hope all of your plants winter well as well. What flowers are you thinking to plant this spring?

Hope you're doing well!

DancingSnakes OP December 20th, 2022

_1671506974.20220602_152543.jpg

MistyMagic December 20th, 2022

@DancingSnakes beautiful is that cross stitch? How long did it take?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

DancingSnakes OP December 22nd, 2022

@MistyMagic

Ah, sorry Misty. It's actually acrylic paint on canvas. I wish I knew how to do cross stich though, it's very lovely. This painting took me about 5 hours to do.

Mcoco23 December 22nd, 2022

@DancingSnakes

Hi thanks for sharing your hobbies. I too am a creative person and a strong art lover πŸ’•πŸ™‚πŸ‘‹πŸ»

DancingSnakes OP December 22nd, 2022

@Mcoco23

Hi Mcoco! What's your favorite type of art? Or medium you like to work with?

Mcoco23 December 24th, 2022

@DancingSnakes

Photography and Sculpture I’m starting clay soon πŸ₯°πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

@Mcoco23

Thats awesome! What kind of clay are you going to use? I've been using oven bake clay.

Sorry it took me so long to respond back to you. I hope that you're doing well.

Mcoco23 January 23rd, 2023

@DancingSnakes

Hey snakes

Thats Ok,

I forget about the forums sometimes πŸ™‚

DAS modelling clay. I’ve wanted to try it for ages so I bought it. Then after 2 months in the craft room I gave it a go πŸ™‚πŸ’•

Life's been quite.. odd over the last month or so for me. Everything feeling just a little to big or off, but I've strong armed my way out of my mental pit once again. As I've been meaning to post more of my art here for weeks. So-

_1674343181.20230121_175849.jpg