Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What Would You Add to a Warm Bowl of Rice? πŸšπŸ›πŸ™

sweetnutella June 2nd

unnamed_1717302535.jpg

Picture a steaming bowl of fluffy white rice waiting for you πŸšπŸ™

What's the move? Toss on a couple of sunny-side-up eggs? πŸ₯šπŸ³ Couple it with sizzling Spam? πŸ– Or go green with a bunch of veggies? πŸ₯”πŸ₯•πŸ₯¦ I'm in desperate need for some new ways to spice up the ol' rice routine, so I'm all ears! πŸ”₯πŸ’ͺ

Got any quirky combos or flavor-packed suggestions?

@sweetnutella tuna, mayo, sriracha, soy sauce, roasted seaweed.

sweetnutella OP June 9th

@communicativePond1728 the thought of combining tuna + sriracha + seaweed is divine πŸ€©πŸ› is this your go-to combo? ✨

@sweetnutella maybe one of them!Β 

slowdecline48 June 13th

@communicativePond1728 Sounds interesting but--this is a bit much to admit. Gonna do it anyway--I've never used seaweed in my cooking. Truth be told, it makes me a bit nervous. Who would ever eat kelp??...it must be awfully salty. What do you do with seaweed? Do you throw it in soup or stew like celery, or...?

The only time I've ever eaten it was when I was in a sushi bar. It was nice enough but at this point, I am not about to buy a rolling mat, fish knife & whatever other tools one makes sushi with. Have gone down enough rabbit holes already!

@slowdecline48 I'll break it down so there's no rolling or rabbit holes necessary!

The breakdown: use pieces of nori to pick up mouthfuls of the food. Can even eat straight from the pot too.Β 

And yes, while seaweed is nutritious with its high mineral content, it's also high in salt and iodine. So everything in moderation, including moderation.Β My mom would use kelp sometimes and I was like 'what is the whole ocean doingΒ in my esophagus'.

Anyway the roasted snack size nori is ideal but the regular sized works too, just needs an extra step to tear into smaller pieces (therapeutic...imagine shredding your worries away). And it can even be regular dried sheets, not roasted.

My favourite nori is the premium, award winning SeaSnax. It's properly certified organic, comes roasted and the onion option just tastes the best to me so far. I found them on sale here where you can buy up to six of the snack sizes: https://well.ca/products/sea-snax-grab-go-toasty-onion_105711.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsaqzBhDdARIsAK2gqnfHpD2yA7Sjc596BQlEwVR7LDkLBLqSFlIPOXk7e8zsboOO8m8FyDcaAkGLEALw_wcB

If you buy larger quantities of nori, some kind of storage is recommended otherwise it loses its dried or roasted crispiness. The eco-friendly silicone food storage bags like from 'Stasher' could be an option.

I found Stasher bags recently at my local eco-conscious shop, seen them on health/healing/helping YouTube channels like Downshiftology and they're also available online.

They're dishwasher, freezer, oven, and microwave safe with different shapes and sizes from flat bottom ones for cooking and storing things like soup to the classic sandwich size.

Here's their Canadian site...it's having a sale right now.Β  https://www.stasherbag.com/pages/sale/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsaqzBhDdARIsAK2gqncMEK4_MHoBwWxOGN_BqtSYXGaaU5GRkQObqdnH29w5duUJeNgSYE0aAlmWEALw_wcB

slowdecline48 June 14th

@communicativePond1728 That was most informative. Gonna download all this info right now. Thanks! Guess I'll have to experiment with this "nori"...definitely a Japanese word. If it's salty then I'll have to do it cautiously, as I have to watch my sodium intake. (Medical reason)

@slowdecline48 Nori is definitely a Japanese word for sure probably.

I wonder what it is in English or if it's the same.

Anyway I picked up a couple SeaSnax from my local grocer and snapped a pic of the nutrition content for you in case that helps:

img-20240614-121208244-2_1718392487.jpg

Tried to mitigate the glare, quality and blurriness but my photography skills are not exactly the most good.

slowdecline48 June 15th

It has no cholesterol!...Excellent.

Gettingbettertoday June 13th

@sweetnutella

I eat rice for breakfast with butter, brown sugar and milk.Β 

lightPlum5983 June 13th

@sweetnutella RaisinsΒ 

@sweetnutella banana. Adding it while the rice is cooking or at least still pretty hot allows the flavours to combine.

download_1718299788.jpeg

sweetnutella OP July 23rd

@communicativePond1728 oh wow, I never thought of this combo before 😡 what would this dish be called?

@sweetnutella ?

quickwittedKite83 June 13th

@sweetnutella Beans! White beans, red beans, pinto beans, black beans 🫘 πŸ˜‹Β 

Or chicken teriyakiΒ 

Ok now I'm hungry!Β 

@quickwittedKite83 beanss!! Those are some rich variations of beans you've mentioned. Do the taste vary? πŸ€” which ones taste the best with rice? And YES please chicken teriyaki is the soulmate of a bowl of warm rice, hands down!

nxipxi June 15th

I'm late but!!! I do rice with salmon or tuna, kewpie mayo, soy sauce, sesame seeds, and then kimchi on the side <3

@nxipxi I am actually in a love and hate relationship with kimchi!! :") It tastes too sour to my liking. Do you usually go for store bought kimchi, or homemade one?

KpopCrystalKat June 17th

Shrimp and scrambled eggsπŸ˜‹

EarlofLemon58 June 19th

@sweetnutella

When I started meal prepping (because of return to office), I'd do "one pot" rice cooker dishes. Add in the rice, some Chinese sausage or bacon, sauce/seasoning, and cook. Then when done, toss in some frozen peas or maybe pickled veggies. It would be brought for the office days.

Each weekend I'd try to slightly vary up what I was adding.

StarCattaiyo June 19th

@sweetnutella tacos!Β image_1718822237.png

neatOwl1762 June 21st

@sweetnutella

Either mix it with salsa (I love.it this way) or boil some frozen peas and carrots and mix them with the rice.Β 

smilingbao June 22nd

@sweetnutella

Fluffy rice, sunny side up egg, and spam is the way to go along with some soy sauce!

I love yellow curry

HealingTalk June 26th

@sweetnutella

Soy sauce

mediterraneanSun June 27th

Scrambled eggs and nicely seasoned avocado pure

AdayaYang June 28th

@sweetnutella

Scrambled eggs, seaweed crisps, meat floss, and sesame!

turningcups June 28th

An easy to cook recipe under 10 minutes for when I’m lazy:

cook a sunny side, and while it’s cooking create a sauce made of

1tbsp sugar,

4tbsp soy sauce,

1tbsp vinegar,

Β½ tbsp sesame oil,

1 tbsp red chili flakes (optional)

mix it up, once the sunny side is cooked place it on top of your rice and add the sauce and mix it up again. Delicious and filling and quick.

@turningcups oh wow, this is so simple yet mouth-watering 😡 thank you so much for the detailed recipe! I'm definitely screenshooting this!

@sweetnutella there ain't no way they made hello kitty soy sauce

CamilaHufflepuff July 1st

@sweetnutella Watch a tutorial on how to make Puerto Rican style beans... you will not repent. Add some fried plantain as a side for a truly native touch.

@CamilaHufflepuffΒ Puerto Rican style beans πŸ‘ what is this dish called specifically, Camila? I will look it up! Maybe it's easy enough for a kitchen hazard like me to make πŸ˜‚

TheAutumnWitch July 2nd

@sweetnutella

Aw man, so many delectable choices…but right now I’m imagining fried eggs, bacon, and stir-fried chickpeas, tofu and broccoli seasoned with garlic and lemon! 🀀

…Now I’m hungry again. 🀣

@TheAutumnWitch broccoli will certainly add some crispiness into the mixture πŸ”₯πŸ”₯ I personally would add cauliflower, too, for some extra crunch. Thank you for sharing!!

JustMeAlways July 4th

@sweetnutella A hearty broth, whatever protein is leftover in the fridge and some veggies.Β 

Or, cream of whatever soup, leftover protein, tater tots on top and bake with cheese.Β 

Or, go lazy... salt and pepper with butter.Β 

heysteph4 July 6th

@sweetnutella, I would add a fried egg, soy sauce, and eat with little sheets of seaweed.

tuffattack July 7th

@sweetnutella

I love a nice rice bowl.Β 

I usually have some sort of protein (chicken, steak, pork), soy sauce, a variety of vegetables (avocado, cucumber etc), a little bit of an egg.Β 

@tuffattack protein + carbs from the rice will certainly help us stay full longer! πŸ”₯πŸ’ͺ I can eat a plate of this and won't feel hungry for half a day!

@sweetnutella

I would add some shredded chicken that I cooked in a crockpot with some sweet and tangy sauce. I would also add some veggies and pineapple. πŸ˜‹

@LovingPeacefulHeart pineapple on rice 😡 is this the same pineapple on pizza dilemma?!

FlamingRain July 14th

toast some Nori sheets and turn them into sprinkles for your rice with sesame seeds or buy some Nori Kome Furikake. Soy Sauce fried rice is also basic but good. Also some chicken adobo flakes!