Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Vegan thread!

March 20th, 2015

Feel free to share your story here.

How did you discover veganism?

​What do you like best about being vegan?

vivelespatates March 23rd, 2015

if I had received $1 every time than someone asked me where I getmy protein from... I'd be rich!

March 28th, 2015

I know...ugh!

hannyaf March 28th, 2015

I just want to replay by eating your bro but i'm not sure they Will see that i laugh

confidentpanda August 19th, 2023

@vivelespatates

omg same!!

FragileLife March 26th, 2015

I'm vegan for about one year now, before I've been vegetarian for four years, but I ate more and more vegan. It's just like one day I started to think about what I'm eating.

vilivilperi April 13th, 2015

Same! :)

aamdna March 27th, 2015

I've been vegan for about a year now! I went completely cold turkey (no pun intended) because I no longer wanted to support animal cruelty in every way. My favorite part about being vegan is constantly being amazed at food and how much vegan options resemble their animal product counterparts!

littlestolive March 27th, 2015

Congrats! That must have been difficult to start up! But will be definitely rewarding!

vivelespatates March 27th, 2015

great!!

energeticCircle9867 March 28th, 2015

Have any great low carb vegan recipes? I mean really low carb?

vivelespatates March 28th, 2015

recipes with more of tofu are lower in carbs.

energeticCircle9867 March 28th, 2015

?incomplete protein? myth

"

The ?incomplete protein? myth was inadvertently promoted and popularized in the 1971 book,Diet for a Small Planet,by Frances Moore Lapp In it, the author stated that plant foods are deficient in some of the essential amino acids, so in order to be a healthy vegetarian, you needed to eat a combination of certain plant foods at the same time in order to get all of the essential amino acids in the right amounts. It was called the theory of ?protein complementing.?

Lappcertainly meant no harm, and her mistake was somewhat understandable. She was not a nutritionist, physiologist, or medical doctor; she was a sociologist trying to end world hunger. She realized that converting vegetable protein into animal protein involved a lot of waste, and she calculated that if people ate just the plant protein, many more could be fed. In the tenth anniversary edition of her book (1981), she retracted her statement and basically said that in trying to end one myth?the inevitability of world hunger?she had created a second one, the myth of the need for ?protein complementing.?

In this and later editions, she corrects her earlier mistake and clearly states that all plant foods typically consumed as sources of protein contain all the essential amino acids, and that humans are virtually certain of getting enough protein from plant sources if they consume sufficient calories."

source:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/the-myth-of-complementary-protein/

LovePom March 28th, 2015

I became a vegetarian January 12, 2014 and I haven't eaten meat since then!:D I'm so happy! I just hate telling people that I'm vegetarian because they'll say that I made a terrible choice, say that they'll place meat in my meals, and say I'm a bad person. Gosh, that makes me want to explode! No matter what though, I'll still be a proud vegetarian!

vivelespatates March 28th, 2015

bad person because you decided to not kill animals without necessity ?! wow.....

lonelyteen March 31st, 2015

Even when I was little I never really liked eating meat, before I even knew it came from a living animal.The taste always just made me feel sick. I don't know, there's just something about it. But as I got older and learned the truth, it disgusted me that people were killing inoccent animals for pleasure. I understand that it is natural instinct, but we know better. We shouldn't kill animals or harm them in any way.

vivelespatates March 31st, 2015

by instinct, we are made foreating plants. I saw many kids than parents had trouble to make them eating meat.
the same if you put a 5 years old' kid with an apple and ahen, he will play with the hen and eating the apple.

Mike511 April 1st, 2015

Hi, I'm not a vegan but I recently watched the documentary "forks over knives". It explained how diseases can be controlled based on the food we eat.It wasn't necessarily saying that vegan is the best lifestyle choice rather eliminating highly processed foods ingeneral could significantly decrease chances of diseases. I've read a lot into food about GMO's,chicken farms, and the meat industry. It was really interesting I thought you guys might want to check it out.

MagicallySimple April 14th, 2015

Hey guys! I'm a new listener on this site but I have been a vegetarian all my life and I love it for the most part! It gets hard sometimes when you're with friends at a restaurant and they're like 'oh let's share this and that!' but it works out in the end! I have tried meat on and off for about a year to get the expereince of it but didnt really like it.

MagicallySimple April 14th, 2015

and yes, i know there is still a difference between vegan and a vegetarian

PlzDontPanic June 28th, 2016

I became a pescatarian 6 years ago, then a vegetarian a few months in and then Vegan somewhere around five years ago. As a child I knew it was wrong and I'd ask my parents if I was eating something that knew love. They said this is what they are for. After a quarter life as a sick, fat, acne ridden, depressed kid who knew something was wrong with the world, I went to the library and picked up a bunch of books about environmentalism and nutrition. Somewhere in the middle of the back and forth between books I discovered that animal foods were the least healthy possible foods, AND the worst for the environment. Then I looked into veganism and rediscovered the part of myself that knows eating other sentient beings is wrong. Spiritually, holistically, physically, the best thing to do for myself and for the planet and the animals and other human beings had to be to stop eating animals. It's all connected, if we can be cruel by default and opporate on auto pilot all our lives we'll just keep going in the same direction we've been heading (down). Or we can change, steer the course in a new way. Thats what I hope we're doing now.

softPoetry23 May 16th, 2018

Quite an old and slightly inactive thread but I decided I'd post my story!

I became vegan at the end of September 2017 after I'd realised that dairy was the cause for my terrible brain fog. After giving up all animal products, the persistent and terrible eczema that I'd had for 5 years (honestly it was so bad, at one point my fingers kept cracking and peeling and I couldn't touch any vegetables and any writing I had to do was an absolute nightmare!) went away within 1-2 months of me being vegan. Like genuinely completely went away. I was so shocked and relieved that I wouldn't have to suffer anymore so I've since spent my time looking into the more ethical and environmental reasons for why people would go vegan to further get into the lifestyle.

Honestly, I just feel lighter and less burdened and it's exceptionally liberating and I adore it. :)

LifeIsMyCanvas May 20th, 2018

I became vegan about 2 or 3 weeks ago now so i'm still new to it. I was always confused about the morals of consuming animal products. I saw in nature that animals eat each other so it didn't seem overly out of a sense of survivial for humans to eat meat. But I believed that I had to eat animal products for a healthy body. I had a lot of food related trauma as a child, as well as sickness and other problems and I kept feeling like something wasn't adding up.

I worked for a government agricultural organisation that supported farming and I was absolutely shocked at what modern farming does to the animals it is supposidly in care of. I learnt about the hormones, animal medications and how we are the only species that drink the milk of another animal. Did you know they test medications on animals for saftey, but not how it effects the humans that consume them? Just crazy! Then there was the fact we could end world hunger by having a prodominantly plant based diet. I was sold at that! The next day I went vegan! Lots of people think it is a phase, but I'm happy that I don't have to eat dead flesh and animal hormones. After the ritual abuse I suffered as a child and the scarifices I watched, I'm pleased I never have to see the blood or flesh of an animal in my meals and I feel peaceful about my choice. and food for the first time in my life.

If anyone is interested I recommend watching 'what the fork' it's a brillient documentary!

kindCake9844 June 1st, 2018

I like best on veganism that there are also vegan protein bars now. smiley

vibha2109 July 19th, 2018

I went vegan about a year ago. I've always been vegetarian, but I learnt about the cruelty towards cows and calfs in the dairy industry, as well as the environmental impact, through a bunch of documentaries. I ABSOLUTELY love animals, and had to stop contributing to this.

I know this is an inactive thread, but any of the other vegans out there, feel free to hmu and we can chat laugh

starsandthesky August 21st, 2023

Hii can we be friends

starsandthesky August 19th, 2023

Is anyone an older teen that would want to be my vegan friend? I need someone to talk about vegan issues that would understand😅 I'm from Singapore by the way

starsandthesky August 20th, 2023

Hi does anyone know any vegan listeners? I feel like they'd understand me better

MistyMagic August 23rd, 2023

@starsandthesky there is no way to search or find out without asking, or perhaps posting here to ask?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

niceCup9735 May 10th

@starsandthesky were you able to find someone? I am vegan and wish there was a space here for this. I've noticed that some of the vegans seeking vegan listeners aren't treated the best after asking this simple question on 7 cups and hope that will change. 

confidentpanda May 10th

@niceCup9735

anyone is free to shoot me a message! i’m vegan (:

niceCup9735 May 10th

Thank you that's very kind of you. Just did! 🌱