Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Spooky Week - Carving Out Time for Pumpkins!

EmotionsListener October 28th, 2022

For many it just doesn’t feel like Halloween until you’ve carved a spooky Jack-o-lantern! Today we’ll share some tips and tricks for pumpkin carving.

skKSljm_ETnZNbNqeW96732cuOd1Hk4Mrh9vtfQvyRFQOMvs_O-5AycJcXdnOKlV_8Wj6D2XsN3sFyP94qj9UwJbY5GKVm0WAbW9EYS1aGiL1qBaXSK20eUZnDo1IWVe-p8lva6blfd5y9Jm97ebVAgI-IOGbvAmCg1w4Zx2XYV3iSJU2dSQR2ZFuw

[image consists of a pumpkin patch.]

First, you need the right pumpkin, check for any soft spots and deep ridges, you want a fresh firm pumpkin with a smooth surface. As for shape, consider what sort of design you have in mind and use it as a guide!

Now that you have your pumpkin the fun mess begins! Remember to use care when carving a pumpkin, you only want to carve the pumpkin! Lay out some papers, grab a big bowl, and get to work hollowing out your pumpkin. (Don't throw away those pumpkin seeds! Check out this thread to learn how to roast them for a Halloween treat.) Once the main pumpkin seeds and guts are removed, an important step is to thin the shell, ideally to ¾” to 1” (2-2.5cm) thick. Using a spoon with a serrated edge can make this task much easier.

iA8cSHPrEp0BVgt3j1cGJ9CdGE11Y5qUcxu16xdXDXosX0HffucMuY5ERW7JIdF5APPlO0BAcEQJ1dddZZM6_98jbH1Fyn6OcCcsJWQHch2MewQwphIYwBqSMVMpywxTX6mRlCqJ_DW88wo_e2Y9lF77foEHg7t_xZvBN5pbmSKX75zm8CFsh6P87g

[image consists of someone scooping out the inside of a pumpkin.]

Take some time to create a design for your pumpkin on tracing paper before transferring it to your pumpkin, don’t be afraid to go beyond the triangle face tradition! To transfer your design you can use pins to poke holes through the tracing paper and make ‘dotted lines’ on the surface of your pumpkin. Or, you can use heavy duty cookie cutters and a mallet to carve your pumpkin. You might also consider shaving your pumpkin rather than carving all the way through. If you carefully scrape away enough of the outer shell the light can glow through in a whole new way.

Most importantly, be patient with yourself and try not to worry about making it perfect, imperfections can add character. Overall carving a pumpkin can take a few hours from start to finish so make sure you are enjoying the process.

qOP38SRKn8TcAF8p-FTnb-_fJSlXJnIeuoIzaMxMga-V4WLHgIdZ6PFWa0eoMZ8S3gYqmjj0HFDDzpIVRRY1QVC8Lu8Gwxraq__3I8inWiqSkncDJAVUhn9xtifR_du0yI-Li7qRyy_4dMTGzzbNGFVPYpF6TzgOZ7XylhEPF36hhXh7GXpFxr82IA

[Image consists of a series of jack-o-lanterns lining a walkway and stairs]

And when the time comes to light up your pumpkin, you may want to use multiple candles inside, or maybe even a string of outdoor Christmas lights. Just remember if you are using candles, keep an eye on your pumpkin and supervise children around the flame!

While decorating with pumpkins, it's also good to note we can also use our decorations to communicate information, teal pumpkins have become a symbol of homes giving out treats free from common allergens. To learn more check out this post.

mU25OiRZMQ84wgarwshJmie9uG--dIPULMcBe98TL1XUBY1J3c8SL5x0Zgi15kXKQmD623vQnw4bo6I8PShOtX9FIMMTCTN7sRaKu-x02b3AQm5OYXfCcif4VfrnxfEZ5QyuGgJZHOPOu-UEtOA4qu18wliVX4a8lXL8_DwkrfeFhCfmQjcpsbQGSg

[Image consists of a teal jack-o-lantern]

Pumpkin Puzzlers:

1. Do you like to carve pumpkins or decorate them in other ways? Maybe you paint instead?

2. Classic carving, simply scary, or utterly imaginative? What type of pumpkin carving design do you like?

3. Share a gorgeous goulish gourd! (That’s right, share a picture of your favourite pumpkin!)

Source: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/10/26/pumpkin-carving-tips-halloween

https://forms.gle/tSRzfxpQJvvYpZXh6 Feedback & Ideas Form, Share your ideas!

Tagging the Hobby Zone subcommunity tag list (If you want to be added/removed click here!) @Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @BlueRiver5968 @ChildGoddessFlute @corinnajoyhenryluv @EmotionsListener @enigmaticsmile321 @FallandWinterPlease00 @HealingTalk @Helpingheart23 @hiraxx @independentFig7852 @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @NicholasW @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @thandocilo @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie

SleepyShyCat October 28th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Ooo pumpkin carving time! 🎃

Do you like to carve pumpkins or decorate them in other ways? Maybe you paint instead?

I've only tried carving a pumpkin once, and I didn't like the texture of it one bit, or the smell of pumpkins so I'd have to say I prefer painting a picture of pumpkins, a much more sensory friendly activity for me 😸🎨

Classic carving, simply scary, or utterly imaginative? What type of pumpkin carving design do you like?

Hmm... Cats are the best design!! 🐈‍⬛

Share a gorgeous goulish gourd! (That’s right, share a picture of your favourite pumpkin!)

A cat sat on a pumpkin! 🎃

_1666966851.Capture_5775b87b-d217-4cd1-b90d-e4d0a79685dc_1200x (1).PNG

EmotionsListener OP October 30th, 2022

@SleepyShyCat

Yes indeed, time to play with pumpkins, although I personally prefer a pie pumpkin to the standard jack-o-lantern. I can bake with it. 🎃

Sensory friendly is definitely a good idea. I find if I use a food safe and washable paint or markers, or just decorate with a bow or other add on, I can use a pie pumpkin and then still get to eat it! I actually really enjoy pumpkin and lots of other squash!

Cat designs hmmm? I am so surprised. How about a painted one?

_1667134933.image.png

What a delightful cat, I often call my cat "pumpkin" as a pet name.

SleepyShyCat October 30th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

It sounds like you make good use of your pumpkins, I'm glad you enjoy them and get some tasty food after 😋

Personally, I think cat designs are the only way to go 🤷🏻‍♀️

Pumpkin is definitely a cute pet name, my cat gets less cute names thrown at him 😅

MistyMagic October 28th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

1. Do you like to carve pumpkins or decorate them in other ways? Maybe you paint instead?
    I do paint them and also I carve, I am pretty good too lol, but this year I am going to go simple.

2. Classic carving, simply scary, or utterly imaginative? What type of pumpkin carving design do you like?
    I like the way that some are carved as pictures rather than straight through they use the pith and skin as shading

3. Share a gorgeous goulish gourd! (That’s right, share a picture of your favourite pumpkin!)

_1666974169.puppy.jpg

Listening - One Step At A Time!

@MistyMagic

Sometimes simple is good, I find if I leave it simple I can still eat the pumpkin myself instead! Though this year I'm going "crocheted" I guess you could say.

Ah yes I enjoy when there is more layering and shading by varying the depth of the carving. I also like the idea of using a peeler myself, feels like it may take more time but not risk my fingers quite so much!

Such a cute little pumpkin, seems we have a theme going of pets and pumpkins! How about some wildlife as well?

_1667135342.image.png

@Walker7957

Carving pumpkins from your own garden can be a special kind of treat! I used to grow pumpkins and gourds when I was little. I loved decorating the tiny gourds because there were just so many! I hope your carving adventures have gone well!

Growing more pumpkins sounds like fun, sounds like you may want to get one of the 'giant' varieties of pumpkin seeds! I prefer to grow cute little pie pumpkins, they have less seeds in them and are great for eating!

Using a template can be a great way to start, I hope you are happy with all of your results! What templates are you using this year?

Those are some cute pumpkins you've grown this year! And what a bootiful jack-o-lantern! Maybe you can update us with your newest carvings as well?

How's this for a giant jack-o-lantern?!

_1667135744.image.png