Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

DIY and Upcycling!

MistyMagic September 23rd, 2023

So we have a new topic heading here now that has been asked for.

DIY & Upcycling!

Do you have any DIY hobbies? Are you constantly painting, decorating, and making new things to improve your home,

funny-demolition.gif

Or maybe you scour skips and other people's throw-outs to see what you can make from them?

cant-wait-excited.gif

Share with us here!

SleepyShyCat September 23rd, 2023

@MistyMagic alex-geerken-geerken.gif

home.gif

MistyMagic OP September 23rd, 2023

@SleepyShyCat oh wow look at those cats goooioii!!!

WorkingitThrough2 September 23rd, 2023

@MistyMagic

😂😂😂I love it.....You made it happen.... Hugs😊❤️

lilcrzi1 September 24th, 2023

I have SO MANY really super neat things to share here! I’ll conform up a little list as short as possible of my top, main ones 🖤🫂

MistyMagic OP September 24th, 2023

@lilcrzi1 that is great! I look forward to them.

WorkingitThrough2 September 24th, 2023

image_1695522737.png

This is one of my DIY projects. I could not afford new cabinets then,

so I went to Home Depot and bought a stripper. And I got my sander out, stripped the dark

finish off, and got the wood finish, and they look great to me anyway 😂. I could not get any help with this project.

What do you think?😊It turned out I had to get new cabinets because my husband called himself fixing a slow leak

under the sink, and he broke the main water line and flooded out three rooms. I had to call the Fire Department to get it shut off

before we could get the water extracted my cabinets began to fall apart from the water. It was not funny then but I got all new cabinets now😂

I found a bathroom cabinet at the second-hand store. It was in very good condition and almost seemed new. So, my thoughts were to make a Kitchen Island out of it. I bought a large sheet of Bucher Block and some brackets to hold the butcher block on and look at it now. I bought knobs and had my Kitchen painted light grey and the cabinets a darker grey and wala......the cabinet was $25.00, the butcher block was $100.00, and the handles were $2.95 each.

my-island_1695526764.JPG

MistyMagic OP September 24th, 2023

@WorkingitThrough2 you are very multi talented! Such creativity and a wonderful result, I am really impressed.

@MistyMagic

That makes my day😊

smolLITTLEpotato September 28th, 2023

I love altering my clothes! I embroidery or paint on them, transforming them into something I love to wear. I also sew patches on them and cut some parts off of them. It's really fun, I like to watch some series while doing this

WorkingitThrough2 September 28th, 2023

@smolLITTLEpotato

Wow, that sounds exciting,😊 Maybe you could post some of your work?

I do a bit of painting on tee shirts, but have not done any lately😊

Thanks for sharing.

@WorkingitThrough2 sure! 😊

img-20230928-133229426_1695901512.jpg img-20230928-133237946_1695901551.jpg I can't rotate those pictures😅 but this was my first project. I cut off long sleeves and made it a crop top and placed a star on the back and two small stars on the front, to hide nipples :DD

img-20230928-133351049-hdr_1695901687.jpg img-20230928-133315997_1695901705.jpg This is my favourite project, my Lady Gaga jacket

img-20230928-133400806-hdr_1695901738.jpg I got this patch from my friend for my birthday

img-20230928-133416695-hdr_1695901779.jpg I made those pins myself :))

img-20230928-133425389_1695901807.jpg I put these tiny spikes on sleeves

I also did some embroidery on my jeans, but i can't attach it here ://

WorkingitThrough2 September 28th, 2023

@smolLITTLEpotato

You do wonderful work, I love it. Keep up the good work. What will your next project be? What inspires❤️ you?😊

I want to sew a sun patch on the lady gaga jacket and then I would like to make a spider-man vest. I alreade cut off sleeves of a red denim jacket! :)) I just have to eaither buy a blie paont, or embroidery the webs

I am mostly inspired by my obsessios. Some are more obvious, some are more subtle. The tank top I showed was inspired by Victoria de Angelis from band Måneskin :DD

WorkingitThrough2 September 29th, 2023

@smolLITTLEpotato

Do you do any for other people? you do such a great job. Your good at this❤️😊

smolLITTLEpotato October 8th, 2023

Thank youuu🩷🩷

I embroidered a T-shirt for my friend once :))

SomebodySpicy13 October 1st, 2023

@MistyMagic

Ooh I'm so excited to see more on this subject! I'm not very good at DIY but I really enjoy seeing what others have made!

WorkingitThrough2 October 8th, 2023

@SomebodySpicy13

Hey, so glad that you are interested 😊in the DIY. You don't have to be good at it; just the fact of trying some new stuff is still so exciting. Hey, on the upside of DIY, I have messed up a bunch of stuff and then later found a better way😂. I am excited to see what others may be working on.😂

@GreenFairie

I love DIY, also. Looking forward to what is coming. I am so glad to see you here. Are there anythings that you are working on? We would love to see any of your projects😊❤️

WorkingitThrough2 October 17th, 2023

@GreenFairie

That sounds great. We would love for you to post it when you are finished❤️😊. Thanks for sharing.

WorkingitThrough2 October 17th, 2023

@GreenFairie

Hey, I got a whole plastic container of napkins from the fast food places. I'll share them with you😂

electricPeace6276 October 8th, 2023

Puzzles and 3D objects that I can frame or make into ornaments.

@electricPeace6276

Puzzles and 3D sounds so interesting. I don't think I have ever seen a 3D one. Do you have a picture you could post😊 ?

I am looking for a great response to this forum. So many creative projects that everyone is doing❤️

electricPeace6276 October 10th, 2023

So I'm trying to upload... But for some reason it's not loading properly... Had the same probably previously also. Anyways you can search out metallic 3D puzzles, 5D paintings, 3D models, etc ... It's those sorts of things.

*problem... Apologies autocorrect issues

WorkingitThrough2 October 10th, 2023

@electricPeace6276

No apology is needed😊. I get the same issue when trying to post a picture. Sometimes the file is to large and you may have to edit the picture to trim it down. Don't give up. Keep trying to post the picture and ensure the file type is correct for this site. Save the picture on desktop or name the file and then try to upload the picture again. I hope this works for you❤️

Maybe try over the weekend.... Too busy with the workweek

slowdecline48 October 11th, 2023

Am definitely into DIY but, as I'm in the renter underclass, my DIY projects don't have much to do with my home.

If it weren't for my already posting them elsewhere, pics of my cane projects would definitely fit in this thread.

WorkingitThrough2 October 12th, 2023

@slowdecline48

I think that Misty might be able to move them over here😊

MistyMagic OP October 17th, 2023

@slowdecline48  I can move your thread over here if you wish or maybe start a new one here?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

slowdecline48 October 23rd, 2023

@MistyMagic The thought is appreciated but I'll start a new one here, if I can get to it. (Got responsibilities these days)

slowdecline48 October 26th, 2023

@MistyMagic On 2nd thought, if you could move this older thread into here, I'd appreciate it muchly. I do not insist on priority...just deal with it when you have time.

MistyMagic OP October 26th, 2023

@slowdecline48 done 🌞

slowdecline48 October 26th, 2023

The one form of DIY I've been fairly consistent about for over a decade now is fine handmade canes. I build them out of various hardwoods. My reasons are simple: I walk with a cane due to chronic health conditions; the adjustable aluminum ones sold in drugstores & Wal-Mart suck, to be honest. If you must walk with a cane, then get yourself a good reliable one. I "got" mine by building it!

The 2nd one I made was a paid commission for a client & then-friend of mine (he's moved on since), whereas the 1st & all others so far have been for myself. Most of what I know about it is from trial & error, plus basic joinery skills. Unfortunately I haven't gotten much of that done this year due to flare-ups, other projects & dealing with life in general. My current project, cane #9, is about 3/4ths done now. The following is snapshots of how the handle looked this past July:

cane09-july_1698353955.png

WorkingitThrough2 October 27th, 2023

@slowdecline48

These are beautiful. What do you use to sculpt the wood with? They look amazing

slowdecline48 October 27th, 2023

@WorkingitThrough2 Thanks. 😂 It's just three snapshots of the same handle...

I don't have many power tools...just a jobsite-type table saw that I normally use for ripping boards in half lengthwise & processing raw logs into boards or square sticks. Got an electric drill but as it's a cordless one, it has limited working time before I need to switch or charge the battery. Aside from those, I use chisels & a mallet. Also a lot of work with rasps & files to shape the handle & shaft. After that I use sandpaper to smooth out the surface...God, is that tedious. 

WorkingitThrough2 October 28th, 2023

@slowdecline48

Your work is still so amazing❤️