Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

New to Group! TwT

AutisticDragon May 26th, 2023

Hi! As an icebreaker, I want to ask all of you a question. Do you have any tips on starting up a business revolving around hobbies? I'm super nervous about it and was hoping to connect with someone who has experience.

SparklingSeashells May 28th, 2023

@AutisticDragon

Hey Dragon, welcome!

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience :(

What are your hobbies if you want to share? 🌻

slowdecline48 May 29th, 2023

More than anything else, be ready to work. Because you will do a lot of that. When you're not producing you'll be thinking about how to work more efficiently, or how to increase sales, or what to do about websearch algorithms so more people online can see your stuff, etc. Owning & running a business--any business--is more than a full-time job.

I was a vendor for a few years, in the late 2000's. Sold prints made from my artwork, & for a while I also made bracelets out of hemp (braiding & knotting) & made pendants from polymer clay & other materials. If I had to do it over again I would skip the other stuff & focus on selling the prints. It is smart to specialize in what you do best. Remember that you only have so many hours in the day, so it makes sense to not do anything that doesn't help the business--including making stuff that won't actually sell.

Look on Amaz0n or bookshop.org for books about how to run a hobby-based biz...best thing to do is to learn from people who do it successfully.

EmotionsListener May 30th, 2023

@AutisticDragon

Making a hobby into a business, the biggest thing I try find people need to consider is the time cost vs what people are willing to pay for your handmade goods.

For example, knitting a large blanket not only costs a lot for yarn, it also takes a long time. But most people would pay maybe the cost of materials for a blanket. Meanwhile knitting smaller items can work up faster, has lower material cost, and might actually be more profitable. I find a similar thing with sewing, sure people want me to sew them dresses, but the materials and time rapidly make it unprofitable, meanwhile around the holidays I can sew up various simple reusable gift bags quickly at a lower time and financial cost. So overall it's not necessarily which hobby you are trying to monetize but the time cost and material cost that goes into the product you are producing.

Aside from trying to account for the time and material cost, it can also be good to look at your market, see if there are others selling similar items, how they price theirs, and what sort of competition you may face. I know with the above knitting example, many sell their products simply to get the cost of materials back as they knit to fill their time, so people won't want to pay more because they don't have to from other sellers.

One caveat, if you love a hobby, you might not want to monetize it, it might take something you love doing and turn it into something you 'have to do', so I would probably weigh that into my decision as well.

Whatever you do, I hope it will go well for you!
Also, welcome to Hobby Zone!
β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œ

EmotionsListener May 30th, 2023

Forgot to mention this for some reason: Another way to monetize a hobby that can be fun and more effective in the long run can actually be teaching others how to do that hobby or making patterns to sell rather than the final product.

So perhaps that would be a direction to explore as well.

slowdecline48 May 30th, 2023

@EmotionsListener Very good advice here. Your point about turning a fun hobby into a chore is especially valid; I can attest to its accuracy. It's one of the reasons I'm not a vendor anymore.

I will always be an artist (for me, art is not just a "hobby"), but I don't necessarily want it to become a full-time job.