Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Newbie Inclusivity in Rooms

Hope July 9th, 2020

Hi everyone! I hope you all are safe and well. The topic of inclusivity in rooms was mentioned in one of our weekly teen meetings. Thank you to the participants for consistently helping us put out needed reminders! Today I am here to talk about Newbie inclusivity in rooms. We have a wonderfully welcoming community however we can improve on continuing that welcome and making our new members and listeners feel more included in our group conversations.

Who is a Newbie?

A 7 cups member or Listener who has been on the platform for less than a month. They have the badge 'newbie' showing next to their name in rooms.

What is Inclusivity?

In the group support sense, is the practice of making members and listeners feel welcomed and accepted into the ongoing group conversations.

How can we be more inclusive?

Don't stop at welcoming! Our community has a habit of welcoming all users entering the room. However, we must make an effort to further involve the individual. Ask them what brought them to 7 Cups or how are they finding the platform?

Make an effort to involve newbies in existing conversations. Many times in groups there is some conversation happening and newbies feel hesitant to jump in because they don't know the users involved in the conversation. Use questions to give them an opening like ‘What do you think Hope?

Use icebreakers. Icebreakers are generally easy and fun to indulge in. It is easier for newbies to join in and feel comfortable in a more casual environment. A quick google search will present you with 100s of icebreaker questions.

Avoid nicknames and inside jokes. It can be hard for a newbie to feel part of a conversation where people have already established nicknames and they are bonding on inside jokes. This does not mean you have to give up nicknames altogether but it is usually a good idea to stick to usernames.

Answer Questions and offer information/resources. We all were once new, we all needed support and guidance. Remember those times and answer questions that newbies may have and provide information that can further support them. As an old-time user you have learned a lot, don't hold back. Share your knowledge!

Encourage them to come back. It feels good when someone wants us to be a part of a group or conversation. Asking newbies to come back and hang in the room when they have the time can be encouraging and can allow them to feel like they are a part of your support room.

These are simple practices that can go a long way. When we were new, there were some kind users who made us feel welcomed and supported and thus we are still here, being a part of this wonderful community. Let's work together to ensure all newbies feel welcomed and supported in rooms. We will soon roll out a thread where newbies can send shout-outs to listeners/members who supported them!

Oceangirl131 July 9th, 2020

@Hope

This is great 👍 even though I've been here a while I still don't feel included in group support.

LexIris July 9th, 2020

@Hope

Thanks for this Hope. I noticed this same issue as well and I really hope things change from now on :)

MistyMagic July 9th, 2020

@Hope Thank-you fpr the reminder, I especially liked this part "Avoid nicknames and inside jokes. It can be hard for a newbie to feel part of a conversation where people have already established nicknames and they are bonding on inside jokes. This does not mean you have to give up nicknames altogether but it is usually a good idea to stick to usernames." That is so important!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

CheerfulCheese July 9th, 2020

Thank you for posting this. I will now try to practice newbie incluvisity in group support rooms. :)

TortueDesBois July 10th, 2020

@Hope are ice breakers allowed in support room? Not really, because even when you try it either for descalate from a conflict or move topic from a controversal or inappropriate topic, you are told about how you should move to the community room. Even if 80% of my ice breakers in this room will be around "coping with feelings", "self care", most positive/negative feelings today", or other things similar to exercices suggested in the Growth Path (let worry go, things you did good in past days, what you are grateful for, etc). -that is really something we need clarify, around the use of ice breakers in the support room that is focused on support-
I agree we really need to make an effort to make the newbies feeling welcomed and included in the discussions, mainly from listeners who often just chat with their friends

Hope OP July 11th, 2020

@TortueDesBois

Hi Tortue, You can ask an ice-breaker when there are newbies in the room and they are having difficulty entering the conversation. However, Icebreaker sessions containing many icebreakers are not suited for the support room.

TortueDesBois July 11th, 2020

@Hope that is confusing and a serious lack of coherance and consistency

Dext3r July 11th, 2020

@Hope

Thx alot. This helps. I hope many more people pay attention about this to create better environment in group chats

ShadowTag July 11th, 2020

OK! I'm on it. All newbies are welcome to me.

pamharley003 July 12th, 2020

@Hope

When I notice someone is a new member or listener I welcoming them always and let them kno I am here to help in anyway I can.