Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

medication

EmselBug123 September 5th, 2014

I have just been prescribed an additional antidepressant by a psychiatrist. So now I take 2 different antidepressants plus an antipsychotic. Does anyone else take that much as it does worry me?

unbroken54 September 5th, 2014

Hi Emma,

Yes, I am on 2 antidepressnts and a psychotic drug. From what I understand it is not uncommon. My biggest problem is that so far my ptsd and depression remains resistant to these meds. It's discouraging. I am always anxious going to the psychiatrist. I am afraid he will tell me that he can't help me anymore and that there are no more meds for him to try.

I wish we didn't have to take meds at all! I hope you feel better with the added medication. As you probably know, it does take time for the meds to take affect.

Take care

EmselBug123 OP September 5th, 2014

Thanks for your reply Broken49, it's encouraging to know that it's not that uncommon to be on a triple combination of meds but equally I'm sorry to hear that you are....and that you're struggling. Especially with your Ptsd and depression remaining resistant to the meds. I live in constant fear that my psychotherapist or psychiatrist will one day turn round and say there's nothing else we can to do help so I can empathise with you there. Have you found comfort in chatting to listeners on 7cups? Take care x

Emma,

it feels better to hear about your fears also, although I wish we were not depressed. There are a couple good listeners here. I have also found not so good ones but they are trying. I think the biggest thing people don't understand about depression is it's not a choice! We don't choose to be depressed. Who in their right mind would choose such a horrible illness. I don't know your circumstances, like how much support and encouragement the people in your life give to you. My family and friends believe I can just tell myself to get better!

Yes I wish we and others weren't depressed. I'm glad you have found some good listeners. I totally hear what you're saying about some people believing we choose to be depressed. It's so frustrating and makes things worse. My parents are the route cause but they are oblivious, my mother in law thinks I choose to be depressed and that I should just think positive. My husband is not supportive at all and I can't discuss it with him. I have to hide it from my children so I internalise everything. Thanks so much for your honesty and for sharing your thoughts, I really appreciate it.

I understand completely! My husband is actually the most difficult person out of all my family. I try to talk to him and explain how I feel and he tells me to exercise. That's his answer for everything. Another thing he says it to throw all the meds away and then I will feel better. Exercise , yes at times can help but it's really not effective for nightmares and flashbacks. I'm sorry you feel so bad. Telling your children should wait until you feel comfortable. That's just my opinion. I am willing to bet though that they sense something is wrong with their Mom and they worry. I finally told my son, just a brief explanation of what I am dealing with. I'm not sure it was the best decision because now he strives to cheer me up constantly.

Take it easy

TransAm85 September 30th, 2014

My husband doesn't believe in drugs or doctors .. he's from Mexico and believes in herbal remedies and a shot of tequila will fix anything! So .. I cannot talk to my husband about my issues. That makes me even more depressed and anxious. Yet .. he thinks beer is also a great cure after a hard day's work!

REED321 September 5th, 2014

Please feel free to message me, I'm here to listen :)

Thank you Emsel

Unfortunately it seems our husbands are very similar :( that's the sort of thing he suggests. My daughter knows I see a therapist but that's as far as it goes. I only shared that with her because she has been seeing the school counsellor and I wanted her to know there was no shame in doing so.

Emma,

I am happy to hear that you are supporting your daughter while she is getting help! You're right, there is no shame in reaching out, and the fact that you are on her side is awesome! It's more than your parents did for you. As a matter of fact it is so important to be heard and understood. Having a support system in place is difficult when family and friends just don't get it. Thank you for responding!

Maire September 6th, 2014

Yeah, I'm on a cocktail. They help each other work better. I wouldn't worry too much; your doctor has been through a lot of school before they can prescribe you stuff. If you are really worried, I would definitely consider bringing up your concerns with your doc.