Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

​feeling kind of lost and/or stuck

MerciIsScreaming May 19th, 2016

I'm in a little bit of a predicament; I need a new car but I don't necessarily want a new one right now, and I want to go to photography school. But there is almost no way I can pay for both of those things at the same time. It would take at least six months to save up enough money to afford to pay the tuition in full, or I can make payments but thats more expensive, and it would take almost a year to pay off a car. Either way i'd be putting off school for even longer, and either way I would be buying a car eventually. But since I dont know how much longer my car is going to last, getting a new car sounds like the best option. But also going to school for something I love sounds like a good option. I dont know what to do. And I dont want to do something thats going to make other people happy and not necessarily make me happy. I think doing this school thing would make me happy, and I think getting a new car could make happy because I would hopefully be less paranoid that my car will breakdown at anytime. I dont really want to take a chance and have this potential car be sold before I could make decision and then have my car die forever and not have an option right under my nose. But I also need to do something with my life or at least have a plan and not just sit here (school). I feel like either way id be winning but also losing, winning cause I get the thing I want/need but losing cause im not getting the other thing I want/need. That sounds kinda pretentious but I hope someone understands where im coming from. So yeah I feel kinda lost because I dont know what to do and im kinda stuck in this rut of not knowing what to do and not taking action. And I don't really have anyone to talk to about this who could at least try and help me, or try to give me advice, so i'm posting it to get it off my chest.

I hope everyone is having a good day :)

cristiana33 May 19th, 2016

@MerciIsScreaming

Hey there! I know for sure how hard it is to get your feelings out there, talk about them, confront the situation even with yourself. So I'm proud of the fact you decided to put this out here even if you didn't know / weren't sure when will someone respond to your thread!

I haven't really understood why you need a new car right now? Making a list of priorities would certainly help you out.

Sounds like you are overhelmed with lots of thoughts! Uhh. I know it's best to win it all and get what you want hehe (we all want that!) but as we both know, winning something means to lose something because you can't (at least most cases) get all those things you want. You need to force yourself to make up your mind and choose which way you go.

Many times, even if it seems like you loose something right now, that thing may come around very soon and it will be an easier choice to make at that later point in time! That being said, there is no point in forcing yourself in not choosing when that means you are also accepting to remain in a position you don't enjoy.

Hope this gives you a bit of perspective. :) Take care!

MerciIsScreaming OP May 20th, 2016

@cristiana33 I totally forgot to mention why I am searching for a new car (new to me at least, it would be a used car). The car I have now, breaks down often enough to make me paranoid about when it'll break down again.

:)

TransAm85 May 19th, 2016

@MerciIsScreaming What's wrong w/your car? If it can be fixed temporarily until you save up enough money to buy a new one .. Used cars aren't so bad either. I fix the transmissions for businesses that sell used cars and the interior/exterior of the cars are almost brand new. It's just that the parts are not brand new. And since you want to go to school, it would be even better that you buy a used car or fix the one you have now.

@TransAm85 I completely forgot to mention why I am searching for a new car (new to me at least, it would be a used car). The car I have now, breaks down often enough to make me paranoid about when it'll break down again. My dad did just fix it temporarliy last week, so that's good, but you never know when something will go wrong. And technically the school is an online school (so I don't have to drive to a campus and all that).

:)

TransAm85 May 20th, 2016

@MerciIsScreaming An online school is just as well recognized as a regular campus based school, so go for it! Don't go back and forth thinking, "maybe I should wait until next year" or "I can't afford it right now" or "I'm too old" .. Do it now! I kept switching programs from pharmacy tech to barber/cosmetology to auto tech. I didn't finish until I was 28. I kept screwing around and partying and didn't take school so serious also until the end. Now I owe a lot of money for financial aid, but it was worth it. What kind of car do you have? If it keeps breaking down, it could be from something inexpensive like the starter or alternator to the car needing a rebuilt engine. Keep a jumper and some starter fluid in the backseat just in case it breaks down again i guess. Sometimes that works. But don't give up on school. :)

@TransAm85 you have a good point I should just do the schooling as soon as possible (I still need to save up the money for it though).And the car I have is a ford crown victoria, don't get me wrong, it's not a bad car, I love it but its just made me super paranoid lately, and people are recomending that I get a new (used) car.