Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Was Healthcare a calling or did it just happen?

lucy2 June 25th, 2022

Please share here❤️

FrenchMarbles June 25th, 2022

@TheRandomEMT *cough cough* ^_^

TheRandomEMT June 25th, 2022

@FrenchMarbles Thanks for the tag!

To me it more of just happened but I'll let you judge according to my story.

So...a few years ago I was really interested in software engineering and always spent my time teaching myself programming skills and all. I even got a job but it didn't go as expected. There wasn't any sort of creativity nor any practical ideas, it was basically based on following routine codes and site maintenance orders. Here was then I wondered if engineering was the right choice for me. Eventually I started looking into other options thinking about giving some thought to the medical field but I was never sure.

It was more than a year ago where somehow I was kinda sure I wanted to do it...but never really knowing if it's the right decision. One day I found out that my local ambulance service was acceptimg volunteers. I was going through really hard times then and suffering depression. I didn't know then if doing such volunteer work is a good idea but my mother really supported it so I decided to give it a try. I signed up the form that I actually want to volunteer as an EMT, almost sure I was gonna get rejected due to my age. After around two months since I submitted the form, I totally forgot about it till I received an email that I'm accepted and that they'll be setting me up for training. After an EMT accelerated course which lasted for about 3 months I was ready to start my shifts. After the first day at work, I was certain that I wanted a medical field and I applied to med school. The first month of working as a volunteer EMT was the most stressful thing in my life but all I could say that I absolutely loved it! Eventually I was mostly free of depression and finally felt I was worth something. Now I work as a full time EMT and it's going great. So I'd say healthcare was never a calling for me yet its something I had a great passion for after I tried it.

adventurousBranch3786 June 25th, 2022

@TheRandomEMT. Wonderful to hear your story! It’s nice to hear about people who are dedicated to their work in the medical field. Best wishes on your med school training.

barncat June 26th, 2022

@TheRandomEMT- thank you for sharing your story. As one who has been on the receiving end of medical emergency services - a HUGE thank you. Glad you have found your purpose and good luck in medical school.

lucy2 OP June 26th, 2022

@TheRandomEMT

I love your post, thank you so much. ❤️

Lucy2

adventurousBranch3786 June 25th, 2022

@lucy2. I think in my case it just happened, but it turned out to be a good choice for me. 😊

lucy2 OP June 26th, 2022

@adventurousBranch3786

It just happened?

I'm so glad it did and a huge thank you for it! <3

Lucy2

barncat June 26th, 2022

@lucy2- years ago I studied secretarial courses in high school. My mother read about program for healthcare provider available near our home. Next thing I knew I was in school - and graduated 2 years later.
A challenging career, and now retired after over 45 years in the healthcare field.

lucy2 OP June 26th, 2022

@barncat

That's wonderful, and amazing that you worked in healthcare all those years, thank you for all you have given <3

Lucy2

MeyTea September 1st, 2022

It just happened. I was helping my mother take care of my father and I realized something click. So now years later I work as a nurse while trying to go to school for my nursing license.

kc526 January 3rd, 2023

@lucy2

I know this post is kind of old, but nice to see healthcare workers on here 💜

I always loved the idea of working in healthcare, but thought I was "too dumb" for the medical field. So, I got my degree in something else. I was already having second thoughts because of corruption and politics and everything else in the particular field I was working, then halfway through my bachelors I was almost killed. I was young, 21. I absolutely said nahh this isn't for me.

Long story short, I had someone close convince me I could make it through nursing school and I did. I'm pretty sure nursing school almost killed me a few times itself 😂😂 I think I've definitely found where I'm supposed to be. Maybe a calling I ignored? Haha