Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #34: What is a long term goal you have?

ASilentObserver March 11th

Hello all! 

Last week we discussed: What are some barriers to disclosing what you are going through? If you haven't checked yet, please click here to add your thoughts. 

This week's prompt-  What is a long-term goal you have? 

This week I want us to discuss long and short-term goals.  A long-term goal might be something in 5 years such as saving up to buy a house, or a lifelong goal of staying healthy and fit. So, in your own words can you describe something that might be a long-term goal for you? And why do you want to achieve that?  Let's get started and share! 

Join us in the 24/7 General Support Group Chat to share and support each other.

good-one.gif

seashell145 April 1st

@ASilentObserver

Thank you Observer! I want to go to the university, and for that every day I try to do some math, like 2 math problems per day. I also do self care activities and journaling to deal with anxiety.

ASilentObserver OP April 3rd

@seashell145 That is great. Consistency is key when it comes to learning. 

@ASilentObserver a long term goal I have is to be spending more time in nature or something like that

ASilentObserver OP March 26th

@communicativePond1728 That is great, pond.  Spending more time in nature has many benefits. What steps can you take to spend more time in nature?

@ASilentObserver

Thanks for asking 😊

I spent time today out and about and got heat stroke soOoOoOo maybe using a water bottle and wearing more appropriate clothes could help because it became hot and I didn't stop to remove some layers or rest when I needed. 

I bought a water bottle today so that's good 😊

I could invest in some walking shoes...tried on a pair today and there's another I'm looking at I liked more that I was planning to buy today, and it's national walking day, so yay!

Keeping a healthy snack in a bag could help and looking up the weather before going out too.

I downloaded an app that shows hikes and reviews of hikes in my area...it took up a bit too much room in my phone, so I could delete one of the games on my phone and replace it with the outdoorsy app.

I could also pay off the bike shop for fixing my bicycle tire and pay them for fixing the new one and keep working on myself so I don't bother myself so much about the past to the point where mess happens.

Thanks again for asking, and for the post. 😁

ASilentObserver OP April 6th

@communicativePond1728 Thank you for sharing, pond. I am sorry you had a challenging day today due to the heat. I am glad you were able to buy a water bottle and try out some new walking shoes. Investing in comfortable shoes can make a big difference. How do you plan to use the app for hiking trails?

comfortablePeace003 March 21st

@ASilentObserver

The long term goal I have is to live with my family and my dogs together, happily and forever. I know that forever is not possible but I want it as long as it is possible. Because I know that forever is not possible I want to become a doctor and treat my loved ones to spend more time with them and make them feel proud of me. The path is scary but reward is what I want.

@comfortablePeace003 Living with your family and your dogs, being a doctor, and making your loved ones proud are all important goals. While the journey may be challenging, your determination and focus will surely get you there. 

comfortablePeace003 March 30th

@ASilentObserver

i hope it comes true. 

BermudaSunshine March 22nd

Finishing my degree is a big one. I'm slowly working on it two classes at a time.

@colorfulNight3471 That sounds like a good plan. It shows a lot of discipline and determination. KEep taking your small steps and know we are all here with you

Countrygirl095 March 25th

@ASilentObserver my long-term goal was just to be healthy happy and successful

@Countrygirl095 It sounds like you have clear goals in mind for your future. What steps can you take towards achieving them?

NicoletteF March 30th

@ASilentObserver

One of the long term goals I have is to obtain my PhD and become a neuropsychologist. For a while now, I have wanted to pursue a career within the field of psychology, as I desire to help those who are struggling with brain-related obstacles. As a neuropsychologist, I would be working with those who are facing disorders such as epilepsy and autism. The endless variations of behavior that result from small changes in the brain are fascinating me, and I want to ultimately help people live a fulfilling life despite the presence of these changes.

ASilentObserver OP April 1st

@NicoletteF Thank you for sharing Nicole and that sounds like a great goal. I am glad you are dedicated to this path. What steps are you currently taking towards achieving this goal?

fruityBubbles2020 April 7th

@ASilentObserver

Hhonestly making it till tomorrow 

ASilentObserver OP April 8th

@fruityBubbles2020 I understand bubble.  I am confident you can get through this difficult time. What steps do you think you need to take to make it until tomorrow?

CheerySandi April 11th

@ASilentObserver

a raise.

ASilentObserver OP April 12th

@CheerySandi Raise about? Can you please share more

lightTiger7286 April 11th

A long term goal I have would be to heal and live happy, peaceful, healthy and independent. I also hope to make a family some day out of love and stability, ending the cycle of trauma. Long term goals are hard for me to make I really just now thought of those. I’m glad I was challenged to think about it. Thank you for this prompt.

ASilentObserver OP April 12th

@lightTiger7286 I am glad you have been able to think about these goals even if they are difficult to come by. What steps do you think you can take towards reaching these goals?

lightTiger7286 April 12th

I think healing myself and working on my mental health would probably be the biggest/most important step I could take towards my goals

ASilentObserver OP April 15th

@lightTiger7286 I am glad you have a good idea of what might be helpful for you right now. Healing and taking care of yourself is good step to start with. We are all in this with you and rooting for you, tiger. 

sincerePlane4053 April 19th

@ASilentObserver Hi there, its me...

I think that a long term goal of mine is to have a healthy, emotionally connected relationship with another person. Someone who I can spend my time with and truly care for, and feels the same way about me. I think that this will happen eventually, but relationships usually come around when you least expect them to.

I would also like to live a more healthy lifestyle and lose some weight. This is another thing that I think will come together with time, i just want to have a partner that i can do fun things with while being physically active!

Ethan

ASilentObserver OP April 22nd

@sincerePlane4053 That is great Ethan, you have clear goals for finding a fulfilling relationship and improving your physical health. What steps can you take towards these goals?

sincerePlane4053 April 23rd

@ASilentObserver well I am working on communicating effectively with those in the dating world and being clear about my wants. Not sliding into relationships that are not worthwhile and do not have substance.

E

ASilentObserver OP April 24th

@sincerePlane4053 I am glad you are determined to communicate more effectively in your dating life. How will you know when you are successful?

sincerePlane4053 April 24th

@ASilentObserver i think a definitive success will involve a long-term relationship, which is something that I would greatly enjoy. 

@sincerePlane4053 It is nice you value long term relationships. What do you think are some of the challenges to establishing one?

@ASilentObserver i think distance and emotional availability are the main things that come to mind. I am someone that needs to be in person with my partner to enjoy their presence and I like the physical connection.

E

@sincerePlane4053 It sounds like being in person is important to you for feeling connected and enjoying each other's company. Distance can create challenges for emotional availability. 

@ASilentObserver yes, I agree, it definitely does. I am hoping that my partner and I get to be together in person soon!

ASilentObserver OP April 25th

@sincerePlane4053 I hope it works out in your favor, Ethan. Rooting up for you

A long term goal I have is to just be more caring and giving to myself. I tend to feel guilty for evening buying a cup of iced coffee from the gas station if I don’t get someone else something. I would like to work on being able to just do something for myself without feeling guilt.

ASilentObserver OP June 24th

@Matthewcprestonnoel It feels like you have a hard time allowing yourself to receive things because you've been so focused on taking care of others. What would it mean to you if you didn't experience guilt when you did something nice for yourself?