Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #33: What are some barriers to disclosing what you are going through?

ASilentObserver February 26th

Hello all! 

Last week we discussed: Is there someone who has bullied you that you may consider forgiving?  If you haven't checked yet, please click here to add your thoughts. 

This week's prompt-  What are some barriers to disclosing what you are going through?

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you were going through a tough time but felt hesitant to open up about it? Many of us have experienced this reluctance to disclose our inner struggles, and there are various reasons why we might feel this way. In this discussion, let's explore some of the barriers that can prevent us from sharing what we are going through. By understanding and addressing these barriers, individuals can begin to break down the walls that prevent them from seeking the support and connection they need.

Join us in the 24/7 General Support Group Chat to share and support each other.

dog-gate.gif
Gettingbettertoday March 20th

@ASilentObserver

I don't talk to anyone about my problems in public. I don't trust that they can help and bringing up these things is always painful. Welcoming pain without the prospect of anything coming from it is something i can't do. 

ASilentObserver OP March 21st

@Gettingbettertoday I hear you, getting. It can be challenging to disclose your struggles because you don't feel like others can provide support. having no trust that anyone can help,can bring up these issues causes you pain. Why is it difficult for you to welcome support from others?

Gettingbettertoday March 21st

@ASilentObserver

I find that people are either uninterested in helping or they either don't have the skills or perspective needed. This also goes for some doctors. They often only want to approach what they understand rather than trying to solve the problem. 

@ASilentObserver I don't know if I answered this but my barriers are I'm a private person, I hold onto things very stubbornly and turn them against myself and I've been abandoned and betrayed by the people closest to me and feel great shame and guilt for it. Plus there's next to no information out there or support for me in what I'm dealing with.

@communicativePond1728 *support for me on

ASilentObserver OP March 26th

@communicativePond1728 that seems like you have faced significant challenges in the past, and those experiences have understandably left you feeling guarded and protective of yourself. Your feelings of shame and guilt can make it even harder to open up. What feelings arise when you think about sharing your struggles with others? Please know yo you have all of us here with you to listen to and to support. You are not alone in this.