Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #27: If you're grieving the loss of a loved one, how can you honor their memory during the holidays?

ASilentObserver December 18th, 2023

Welcome back! 

Last week we discussed- What can help you feel less alone in your struggle. If you haven't checked yet, please click here to add your thoughts. 

This week's prompt- If you're grieving the loss of a loved one, how can you honor their memory during the holidays?

The holidays can be a particularly difficult time for those grieving the loss of a loved one. There is no right or wrong way to grieve or to honor the memory of a loved one during the holidays. Do what feels right for you, and please know we are all here with you as well to support you. Take a minute to reflect upon what can you do to honor them. Please share and discuss here among us.

Join us in the 24/7 General Support Group Chat to share and support each other.  

the-woobles-woobles.gif

Heather225 December 18th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

doing an activity they enjoyed, having their favorite food or drink, visiting their favorite place (if possible). i used to replicate some of what my mom and i used to do during the holidays, just the little things. i still put out her favorite decorations.

ASilentObserver OP December 19th, 2023

@Heather225 Thank you H for sharing. You have found a caring way to honor her memory.
 Those small acts of remembrance can help keep loved ones' spirits present during the holidays. What special memories does continuing your mom's traditions bring up for you? 

Heather225 December 19th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

Thanks! <3 The memories are of going through the droves of ornaments she collected (I have the tubs now lol) and hearing their stories as we decorate the tree. We used to go out shopping / window shopping too to check out all the festive things and laugh about all the silly kitschy Christmas merch and grab coffee and watch all the madness. Simpler times, no strict schedules, feeling safe and warm, and just being together.

ASilentObserver OP December 20th, 2023

@Heather225 Thank you sharing, H. Those memories of decorating the tree and exploring all the festive things with her during simpler times sound very special. The laughter you shared looking at all the festive items and just enjoying each other's company is so lovely. It feels comforting to remember better times.

enigmaticpanda4152 December 19th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I just pray and tell them that I am Happy. I feel they are watching over me like guardian angel.

ASilentObserver OP December 19th, 2023

@enigmaticpanda4152 Thank you for sharing how you honor your loved one's memory during the holidays, Enigma. It sounds meaningful to you to pray and feel they watch over you like a guardian angel. I am glad you have found comfort in difficult times, and it is heartening that their memory brings you happiness.

Faljabiry1019 December 21st, 2023

👍🏻

Warpedme December 23rd, 2023

Thank you for the beautiful reminder that we need to care for ourselves. I love all of these ideas and responses. You are such a compassionate group of people, thank you. Celebrate life. 🤗💫💜

ASilentObserver OP December 25th, 2023

@Warpedme Thank you for sharing your appreciation for compassion and self-care. It's wonderful to be reminded of our shared humanity.  You seem attuned to life's lighter moments; I am glad you are here with us