Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

High school Dilemma

Ashley2508 March 23rd, 2023

TW: suicide

I’ll be going on to high school soon and I’m really terrified. I am hardly surviving the eighth grade. I don’t see myself making it through eighth grade none the less high school. All of middle school has been a struggle for me. I hear it’s going to get much harder from here. Does anyone have any tips or advice? I don’t want anything buttered up. I want the truth.

Mdreaming101 March 26th, 2023

@Ashley2508

What about school is stressing you?

Honestly high school varies from people to people. Having friends in class or knowing people in your class will make your time much better.

Personally, I think high school isn't much different from middle school. Same subjects and scheduling. Homework. Presentation. Aside from career planning and thinking of what else to do after high school - same old stuff.

Ashley2508 OP March 26th, 2023

@Mdreaming101 What I’m worried about high school is how I’m going to get through it. I’ve been struggling mentally for a long time. I’m all alone with no one supporting me. Middle school sucked for me. I’ve always had trouble with asking for help. I realized that I desperately need help when I was diagnosed with TMJ due to stress. It took a lot of courage but I went to my parents for help. They made me regret ever asking for help in the first place. My siblings were allowed all the help they needed and now they are better mentally. I have friends but I’m the one who is supposed to help them with their problems, not the other way around. I now have constant panic attacks, I have no energy in doing the things I once loved. I hardly eat and get any sleep. It’s just constant homework. I don’t want the next 4 years to be like this but I don’t see anything helping it. I’ve tried to get better mentally by myself so many times but there isn’t much I can do as a child without parents helping me. I don’t want to live like this for another year none the less four years. Sorry this is long. I tried to shorten it the best I can.

Mdreaming101 March 27th, 2023

@Ashley2508

I understand. The lack of parental support makes everything so much harder. I still hope you try letting them know you want help and maybe, asking for counseling. The school will need permission from your parents.

Have you talk to your school counselor? I believe he/she will be the best person to share your concern and help you prep for high school. The school counselor can also connect you with the school counselor from your expected high school.

When high school starts, I suggest you stay on rapport with your teachers. Email them or find them during lunch or after school whenever you need help with your subject. You should also use your school resources such as any club that offer homework help or club that help you destress/help you do the things you love. If you are already struggling stay away from honor classes. When you select your class, balance them out with some recreational (art, ceramic, etc. I regret I didn't do this during my years. I was all focus on getting into college and took a lot of academic classes. My grade wasn't an issue, rather I learned very late that I rather enjoy art and ceramic. I took drawing and ceramic my senior year and I fell in love.) Always go talk to your school counselor about class schedule before making any final decision and your class related concerns.

Ashley2508 OP March 27th, 2023

@Mdreaming101 Thank you. I have spoken to my parents about my struggles and about getting help. A doctor recommended it as well. My parents still decided not to. Money isn’t the problem, I know that much. They just didn’t want me to do it even though they allowed my siblings to get help from others. I don’t trust the school counselors because of an abusive teacher and how the counselors tried to use my word against me. I will take your advice and take more easy-going classes. Thank you again!

Mdreaming101 March 27th, 2023

@Ashley2508

0.0 What a bad counselor. It does happen: bad social workers, bad counselors, bad teachers. Bad apples in every field. I hope you don't let that one counselor ruin your interaction with other/future counselors. I still encourage you to reach out to the school counselor for your high school should you need help regarding classes or school related stress. I hope you get a good one.

Did your parents tell you why they wouldn't let you? Sometimes it takes multiple try for parents to understand the child need and will benefit from service.

You may also want to talk to your future school counselor about putting friends in your class whenever possible. Sometimes having friends with you makes all the homework, assignments, and school itself much easier to bear. It never hurts to let your high school counselor know you are struggling and would like a friend there.

I'm glad I can help. :)

Mo27 March 26th, 2023

Hey There

from my experiences i would tell you not to give up so easy.. High school is pretty good and fun once you start with it. You will make new friends and understand all the opportunities to shape your future.

nothing is easy in life i guess but we all try and do our best.

so hang in there @ashley2508. you made its this far and so you definitely will get through high school too.

Miginuy March 26th, 2023

Hi Ashley,

I think I get you. A big part of your life is just ending, maybe it wasn't all that great, but still. It's scary. It's gonna be harder, that I can tell you, but I believe you can do it. I would however advise you this: don't close up. I'm not saying you should run around and scream: I want friends!, but just... be yourself and don't avoid the opportunities to get some new friends. Once you feel comfortable around at least some people, it's gonna be so much easier. I promise.

newday444 March 26th, 2023

Consider joining the theater club or group. On stage or backstage tech is a great way to be involved and make friends. Theater peeps are open, accepting and like each other for who they are. Do things you love and new friends will be there. 👏🏼👏🏼

lukewarmsock13 March 27th, 2023

Hey,

im an eighth grader too. Middle school is absolute *** for me. I think it depends on the school that you go to, but I have many friends in high school and take extracurriculars there, and actually, it’s a bit better.

are there still *** there? Absolutely.

do you meet more mature and kind people there then you’d find in middle school? Yes

does the work get easier? No.

are the rules generally more lenient? Yes.

that’s just in my personal experience, again it depends on your school. But you got this. I believe in you.

good luck to the both of us.

-E :))

Ashley2508 OP March 27th, 2023

@lukewarmsock13 Thank you, good luck to us both! :))

PestoPasta8973 March 27th, 2023

You've taken the first major step by reaching out! Do yourself a favor and talk to someone professionally. I wish I had when I was your age. You're not alone in having these thoughts so young and it's a shame that this is the reality we live in. I've had those feelings since I was about 12 and now I'm 34! It's difficult and some days I still struggle; I won't lie. Do know it gets a heck of a lot easier when you open up and allow others to help you—believe me on that. It will only get harder if you try to go it alone, so don't listen to whoever said that to you.

LittleMan00 March 29th, 2023

@Ashley2508 if you think people are immature in high school just remember: you'll be seeing the same drama for the rest of your life, they just hide it better with age