Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dealing with the consequences

fairmindedShade219 August 6th, 2023

Today was another day of fighting and living with an abusive family. My parents fought over something trivial, and as I was eating breakfast looking at my phone, my mom suddenly showed her anger towards me for looking at my phone. One of the reasons I did that was because I wanted to distract myself from my parents' fighting and shouting. She then picked a fight with me, and took away my phone. I was fed up with it all and argued with her, spoke back and she got angry and went away. I took my younger sister, who's 11, (I'm 20), to go walk the dog. I was feeling frustrated from it all, since I had been dealing with anxiety and compulsive behaviors as well (like fearing the worst things that could happen everytime I went out or did something). I was so frustrated that no one in my family truly cared about what I was dealing with. My mom had found out that I was paying for therapy to deal with these things, and made a whole speech about how she would have helped me if i had come to her in the first place. Well back to walking the dog, I was being stupid and thought my sister would understand what I was going through at the moment, and I proceeded to try and talk about what happened with her. She showed no reaction to what I was trying to say, and acted like it was another ordinary day. I got even more frustrated with that because normally if she was going through something then I tried to talk it out with her. She also likes to ask questions about everything, even with simple things, and normally i would tell her to not ask because my mind would be too full with dealing with my own problems. Today I lashed out at her for asking questions like that because i thought she was ignoring what i had just went through. Like she asked me if the dog had peed, and I wasnt paying attention because I had just fought with my parents, and she knew that. I snapped back at her, saying, "I don't know, don't you have eyes to see?" I know i am the older sister and she's just a kid, but sometimes i think i depend on her too much to actually understand what my problems are. Anyways, i understand that I was being mean to her, and she proceeded to tell my mom and ran upstairs. I guess that's what a toxic family does to you, you slowly start to become toxic as well. My mom found this as the perfect oppotunity to point out all my flaws, and called me crazy like she always did. She then told my sister to not talk to me because she should know that I am crazy. It hurt. It stung. I thought back to when my sister was crying coming back from a class the other day, and I asked her multiple times what happened. She ignored me and just talked about it to my parents. I still dont know what happened. But I tried to understand her situation. I know that I am not a great sister, but I was trying to be better. But somehow i am always the culprit in every situation that i am in with my parents, or my sister. Like I told my mom my problems because she told me to share whenever i was going through a rough time, and now she calls me crazy whenever she has the chance.

fairmindedShade219 OP August 6th, 2023

I am not a good sister, but all of it is so hard to deal with. My mental energy has been drained so much that I am not able to even enjoy things when i go out to try and spend time in a fun way. I literally have no motivation, and it seems like no one is really there to support me. I guess being alone for a long time is just really messing with my head

toughTiger6481 August 6th, 2023

@fairmindedShade219

You are not alone ... many others in your shoes with negative family energy etc....

the constant frustration grows and spreads ... so does unhappiness . your mom sounds like she could benefit from some help .....trivial arguments are because they are not dealing with the items that really are the issue .... your sister and you are walking on eggshells in that situation and sooner or later something will go very wrong.

it is not a good person to ask for you to share and say she would have helped you etc then call you crazy .......

It is hard to be a better sister in that situation and in a toxic family as i grew up in one ..... i found to not trust anyone ... Siblings can commiserate but in the end if they need to deflect mom or dads anger they will share or say things to put focus on the other etc...

i do not know if family or group counseling helps in that but after i was out of house i fixed me and the rest of them seem confused as they like the drama and dysfunction

Sadeyes52 August 7th, 2023

I’m so sorry you are going through all of this. It suks when no one really listens or understands what’s going on. I’d get a good job I’d move out just for my sanity but easier said then done in these crazy days If u ever need a talk hit me up I promise to listen.