Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Crafting your long term Goals : How do you do it ? 📃

sky2Ocean20 March 8th

Often we think about our long-term goals but many of us don't actually write it down and make a plan to achieve it. I was like that. But somehow making long-term goals here and there became fun for me. 

football-sport.gif

Here is what I like to do :

• Write it down (at first the goal seems impossible sometimes)
  • Break the goal into 3 steps/layers
  • break each step into doable mini-tasks.

eg : ✨ writing a book -the big goal

📌 layer 1 : deciding theme/plot

📌  layer 2 : writing 200 pages

🌱layer 2, mini task 1 : writing 20 pages in a month

🌱layer 2, mini task 2 : wring a page every day ( 4-5 days a week)

• instead of giving up adjust the goal slightly if demand changes with the present timing, Just because it did not work out the way I wanted, doesn't mean the goal is not achievable.  

so, my question to you is: What method do you use to reach your long-term goal?

share your thoughts and opinions. 💛

@sky2Ocean20

I like this approach, pre-stating our long term goals and then reducing it to shorter chunks is definitely helpful!

For goals setting and achieving, I like to utilise the SMART goal setting approach too, when I can. (Specific, Measurable, Achievable/ Attainable/ Actionable, Relevant/ Realistic and Time-bound) 

Explained nicely in this thread as well: https://www.7cups.com/forum/motivation/GoalsandAccomplishments_653/GoalSetting101SMARTmethodofGoalSetting_35441/

sky2Ocean20 OP March 9th

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

yes, it's very useful and effective. This method has been working so wonderfully for so many of us for so long. the SMART method. 💛✨

slowdecline48 March 9th

I used to have long-term life goals. These days I don't, aside from a financial one, which largely takes care of itself if you start with a small nest egg & use the right mechanisms. Being chronically ill--disabled, basically--makes long-term goals of most kinds a pathetic joke. Achieving such lofty aims requires considerable mastery over one's life. If you can't control what your own body does, how can you control anything else in one's own existence? It's just not realistic.

sky2Ocean20 OP March 9th

@slowdecline48

Partially it's true. we can't control our lives and we can't have the intention to control our lives. But when it comes to something we want to achieve (like "writing a book"), goal setting does give us a disciplined route to make progress. Like a tool. It doesn't have to fit every area of life but it can be useful in a thing or two in my opinion. And I agree that the uncertainty factor will be always there. 

purpleTree4652 March 11th

@slowdecline48

I wish I could help you.

slowdecline48 March 11th

Likewise, D...likewise. We both need help, definitely.