Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Recovery Tips/Wisdom (All EDs)

ErwineRommel March 5th, 2017

ED Awareness Week is ending tomorrow, so it's fitting to talk about recovery (for all EDs), which can be a stressful and confusing time. Here are some things that helped during that process:

1) The most important thing to remember: there is no deadline for recovery. ED recovery is not a school assignment; no one will grade you for how you do. Take your time. If you mess up, you can still get back on track. Set milestones can work for some, but you are not locked in by them.

2) Listen to yourself during the process. You will be more motivated on some days than others. If you feel more comfortable with a fear food, for example, you can try going to the next step in the process. If it's too much, it's always okay to scale back and work from there.

3) If you can, start trying to notice positive trends. These could even be smaller ones, such as your art improving throughout recovery. Not only is spotting trends a useful skill, these could be other reasons to keep going in those ruts.

4) Have at least two supportive individuals (e.g. a friend or relative) in your group who can give emotional support during hard times.

5) For anyone involved in a relationship: love is unconditional. There is a difference between "I care about you, so I suggest that you do this." and "If you don't do this, I will leave." If it becomes a transaction, LEAVE.

What are some of your tips or pieces of advice you have used to get yourself through the recovery process?

Hope March 5th, 2017

@ErwineRommel, Thank you for sharing these tips. Sometimes we all can use a reminder. For me, I like to read recovery quotes, and one of my favorite quote is: My worst days in recovery are better than the best days in relapse. heart

ErwineRommel OP March 5th, 2017

@EssenceOfHope I haven't heard that quote before, but it's a really good one to remember. I learned something new today.

imwithhealthtoo March 6th, 2017

@EssenceOfHope love that! I like: "the best way out is always through."

Anomalia March 8th, 2017

@ErwineRommel - I love that quote about there not being a deadline on recovery - I am a firm believer that it's never too late!

MelodyofLife June 29th, 2017

@ErwineRommel

this is a great post ! thanks for sharing this smiley

ErwineRommel OP July 2nd, 2017

@MelodyofLife I'm glad it was useful for you.

LeetheUnicorn July 9th, 2017

@ErwineRommel

Very great insight, this post has a lot of helpful information that I think others dealing with recovery could really benefit from. Thanks for posting it!!

lukeydreamer7 July 24th, 2017

@ErwineRommel My recovery tip is to begin working on changing the way you think about things. Changing your thought process can greatly impact your recovery! This takes time and effort but can be done. Diligence is the key.

Hysterria July 25th, 2017

It's okay to have bad days. A bad day doesn't mean you failed or screwed up or let yourself or anyone down. It means you're doing the recovery process the way you're supposed too.

shyPenguin3634 July 29th, 2017

@ErwineRommel Thank you for sharing this💕 One of the things that's been helping me is following body positivity accs on instagram. Nourishandeat, or honeylovesorg are very good ones, if someone wants to check them out🙆