Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My story/recovery process

GayCutter911 March 20th, 2020

Hi! My name's Darby, I'm 13 and I love to bake, read, draw, and a lot more. I have a dog that I love with all my heart and a very supportive family and a great support group and help.

I've struggled with and ED for about a year and a half now, but luckily I've gotten help, which I'm super grateful for.

Around October of 2018 I started to be suicidal and on November 25th (yes I still remember the date) that year I cut for the first time. I've always been self conscious about my body image but around that time my "best friend" would kind of make fun of her body -she's quite thinner than me- and i started to watch what I'd eat a lot more.then I started counting calories and skipping breakfast almost everyday and give away my lunch. I'd eat around [edited by 24Help1 for calories] calories everyday. My parents found out about my self harm in December and I went about a month clean after that. My parents pushed me to eat but didn't think too much of it as my brother had the same thing. (We both struggle with depression and loss of appetite is a common symptom) in January I started cutting again and in February I went to a mental health clinic and was diagnosed with depression. In like March my eating habits got worse and restricting wasn't enough anymore, I started exercising late at night in my bedroom. My dad got me and found my calorie journal after a week and decided that taking me out to breakfast the next day and making me eat a healthy meal would cure me.

Shanna March 22nd, 2020

@GayCutter911

Hi there!

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad that you've been able to get some help, and I hope things continue to improve for you. You are so deserving of recovery. It's very frustrating when well-meaning people dismiss or over-simplify eating disorders by saying "just eat more, just eat less, don't eat x y z, eat only x y z"--I'm sorry that you've experienced that! But I'm glad you're here in the community heart

Hope you're managing okay with all of the COVID-19 craziness--feel free to check-out these online resources that could be some extra support for you during this time.

Take care!