Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

how do you know if you have an eating disorder???

kawaiikittenprincess February 5th, 2016

okay so basically my therapist hasnt been clear enough as to if i have one and i really dont want to go into detail with him because i dont want to worry anyone or if he tells my mum idk

im just going to tell you a bit about my relationship with food

so i constantly crave carbs and sugary snacks but i try to avoid them as much as i can because i know when i start i literally cant stop like im never fully satisfied i'll eat until im stuffed and sick. this could go on for hours lol like id try to control myself by stopping but then id find myself in the kitchen again and eating like a pig and its so embarassing and disgusting and makes me feel so ashamed and it's so fustrating because i can never bring myself to throw up so i cant even get it out of my system

im constantly thinking about calories and googling how "healthy" whatever im eating is and looking at the ingredients and calories. like its crazy if you look at my web history its all a ton of questions about food omg.

im always mindful of the time from when i start eating to when i stop to "control" myself.

i think about burning calories when im walking or doing any physical activity

i body check a lot especially after eating. it could be anytime and anywhere like i could be at college or the shops and if i pass a mirror i always end up checking myself out (not in a conceited way haha)

when i start binging i can never just binge on one thing. i could start off with some chocolate bars and eat a ton of those (i have such a sweet tooth) sometimes i even dip things in jam or honey for extra sweetness its crazy. and then i'll get a bit bored with it so i'll balance it out with something savory like bread and then crave something else and the cycle goes on. its just like i want it all in one go help me

even talking about this is making my tummy rumble omg

Notquiteanonymous February 5th, 2016

@kawaiikittenprincess first off thanks so much for being here and for reaching out. I am not qualified to tell you if you have an eating disorder or not. I would encourage you to explore your relationship with food with your therapist. It's also okay to share your fears with him about why you are reluctant to discuss your eating. If you need additional support we are here. You can pm anytime if needed.

kawaiikittenprincess OP February 5th, 2016

@Notquiteanonymous - thank you for your response!! and yes i think your right about talking to my therapist it's just kinda hard to bring up for me idk but thanks :')

Anomalia February 5th, 2016

@kawaiikittenprincess - I'm not a doctor or a therapist, so I can't formally diagnose you with anything, but whether it's officially and eating disorder or not, you clearly have an unhealthy relationship with food and one that's interfering with your life, and that's worth getting help with. I know it can be a bit scary to talk openly with your therapist, but that's what they are there for - to be the person you can be open with, to help you work through it, etc. Would it help you feel more comfortable if you were able to ask questions about what your therapist will and won't reveal to your mom?

kawaiikittenprincess OP February 5th, 2016

@Anomalia - thanks for ur response!! and i do agree i have a rly bad relationship with food and i'll try to bring it up in therapy and talk to him about keeping it confidential but it's just i don't want to worry anyone and the thought of there being a chance of having someone else control what i eat is kinda scary haha