Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is this a disorder?

Second2Rise February 3rd, 2020

I'm having trouble when it comes to eating. Sometimes it makes me want to throw up or it just doesn't look like food. I love food, and can usually eat a lot, but recently it just looks like plastic. Sometimes I can eat, but I usually can't. Sometimes I have to force it down.

i just want to know if this is a thing?

RarelyCharlie February 3rd, 2020

@Second2Rise I am not an expert, but it seems like it could be related to a type of eating disorder known as Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID). One of the symptoms is "avoidance based on the sensory characteristics of food". For more information, see: ARFID

Charlie

Shanna February 4th, 2020

@Second2Rise I'm sorry you're struggling with this! Even if someone's symptoms don't meet the criteria for an eating disorder, they can still be classified as "disordered eating patterns" which it sounds like you're experiencing. Sometimes other mental health issues like depression and anxiety can affect appetites and taste preferences as well. How long has this been occurring? How distressing is it for you on a scale of 1-10? If you find that even with forcing yourself to get food down you are very much under your caloric/energy needs for the day, or you notice weight loss or any other physical symptoms, I'd encourage you to see your primary physician and they can refer you to the appropriate providers and hopefully get to the bottom of it. It's unclear to me as a non-medical-provider whether what you're experiencing is more of a physical issue or a mental issue so it might be good to get a professional perspective if you're able. Wishing you the best!

indigoLake9858 February 5th, 2020

I was wondering if anyone could help. Every time I eat a big meal I have to throw up after it so I don't gain any more weight. I don't know if this is classed as a disorder, I haven't really spoken to anyone about it. I just want to see if anyone could tell me if it's normal or not.

EvilRegalsReadToo February 5th, 2020

@indigoLake9858 Could be bulimia, but I'm not expert.

Second2Rise OP February 6th, 2020

@EvilRegalsReadToo I agree. I read a book that had a character with bulimia, and she had to throw up after every meal.

Shanna February 7th, 2020

@indigoLake9858

I'm sorry you're struggling with this. I'm not a professional, but this does sound to me like it could be an eating disorder or disordered eating. Purging after meals is common in people with eating disorders--so you aren't alone in this by any means--but it can do a lot of damage mentally and physically and take a big toll over time. If you can, I'd encourage you to speak with someone you trust about this and there's also a self assessment you could take to see if it may be helpful to speak with a professional if you're able to. But if you aren't in a place yet where you're ready to disclose to anyone or to move towards getting treatment, that's valid and understandable. These things have to come in your own time.

artisticspirit February 9th, 2020

Hello everyone. (: Please excuse my englisch, I'm german.

I am pretty sure it's nothing, but however. I have trouble eating regularly, sometimes I don't eat the whole day. I am actually hungry. Sometimes I have, sometimes I don't have appetite, but either way I have Trouble getting me to eat. Other days I can eat whenever whatever I want. I am almost convinced I'm just a bit too lazy to eat? On the other hand, it can start to really hurt and I'll still not eat. Some tips maybe? It's not that I think I should lose weight, I actually want to gain some.

Second2Rise OP February 10th, 2020

@artisticspirit First, you have great English, second, I've been having the same issues. I've been told that I should stop, but I can't.

artisticspirit February 10th, 2020

@Second2Rise

Yeah, that's some really bad advice, isn't it? As if it didn't occur to us before. As if we decided to have issues?

Second2Rise OP February 10th, 2020

@artisticspirit Yeah. I have anger issues, and it just makes it worse.