Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Depression and trouble eating which is new and scary

goldytheelf May 22nd, 2023

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here but hoping to find people to talk to. I've been battling severe depression and anxiety for quite some time and now it seems that a coping mechanism has developed into an eating disorder that is new territory for me

SparklingSeashells May 28th, 2023

@goldytheelf

Heya,

First of all welcome! I hope you find the community a safe and supportive space.

Sadly, our eating can become an outlet, a coping mechanism.

Have you tried any healthy coping mechanisms? If so, would you like to share here? 💜

healingblossombuddy August 2nd, 2023

@goldytheelf Welcome here! I know this must be very intimidating for you to deal with. If you ever want to talk about this or anything else, you can discuss it with me or others here. I understand how you feel as I have faced similar situations. In my journey to recovery the thing that I learnt was that self-love is extremely important. If you are able to love yourself the way you are, the other physical symptoms of caused by low-self esteem do gradually go away. Even in case of depression and anxiety, self-love helps to heal us from the inside. I hope are able to fight against this and be all better soon. Take lots of care! Sending lots of warm wishes your way🌸

Eleasha123 September 10th, 2023

@goldytheelf well done fo reaching out!

cutadinda September 13th, 2023

I’m currently having the exact same problem. I’ve been depressed for years but my relationship with food is always great, until lately I kept punishing myself by not eating and call myself names. I wish I can go back to enjoying all my favorite food without crying and hating myself.

KristenHR September 20th, 2023

@cutadinda

I hate to hear that you are struggling so much right now with not enjoying your food and restricting. Depression is so difficult and then adding not eating on top of that, can actually make depression more difficult because your body isn't getting enough nutrition.

Is it possible to give yourself a break and be kind to you? Part of what you're most likely experiencing is the depression talking, and that's something that is hard to deal with and difficult to overcome and can require a ton of work.

I'm glad you're sharing. It's hard to deal with all of this alone.

cutadinda October 4th, 2023

@KristenHR Hey Kristen, sorry for getting back to you so late and thank you for replying. ED-wise, I'm getting slightly better now and eating more but mostly because my acid reflux has gotten the better of me. Unfortunately my depression has gotten worse lately and it manifested in other things than ED, for now I'm just waiting for the storm to pass

KristenHR October 4th, 2023

@cutadinda

Sometimes waiting is the best thing that can be done. Glad to hear you are holding on there.