Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I can't stop gaining weight

Menoeceus June 3rd, 2017

I've had problems with overeating and weight gain my entire life. I have lost and gained large amounts of weight many times. A few years ago I lost 80 pounds, then I gained 140 pounds. Last year I lost 60 pounds, only to put it all back on again. My mother passed away three months ago, and since then I have gained 30 pounds. I'm single, I don't cook, so I'm always eating out. It's hard to find food that is decently healthy. Eating has become a coping mechanism for me, and when I am struggling I feel a very strong urge to eat food that I know I shouldn't. I'm new to this sub-community, and I wanted to introduce myself. I can't imagine that I could ever have a romantic relationship looking the way I do now, and I'm afraid I'll be alone forever. I'm 36 years old, and I'm worried I'll never find love, or start a family, because of my weight.

JamieSclafaniLMSW June 4th, 2017

@KittysPetJoey it sounds like you have been through a traumatic experience with grief. It might be a good start to address those feelings as they may trigger the overeating.

Menoeceus OP June 6th, 2017

@Jamie0906 Thank you, I appreciate the insight.

CrazyCupCakes December 13th, 2017

Hi Kitty,

I noticed this post was a while ago.

How are you doing now? Are things any better?x

Menoeceus OP December 23rd, 2017

@CrazyCupCakes No, they aren't. I've been seeing a dietician, and I'm starting EMDR therapy with my counselor after the new year to work on some past trauma issues surrounding my body image issues. I think these things will help me, but we'll see. Thanks for your concern.

CrazyCupCakes January 1st, 2018

@KittysPetJoey

I'm thinking of you. Especial over Christmas and the New Year as there's so much junk food and temptation all over the place. I know that it's so difficult but you are stronger than you think.

This year us our year. We start to recover and grow stronger and healthier...I know it x

balanceinhnl December 28th, 2017

Hello there :)

How are things currently? Do you feel better now?

Menoeceus OP December 28th, 2017

@balanceinhnl Hi, thanks for replying. I was doing better for a while, and I was eating a balanced healthy diet. I haven't done well since Thanksgiving, though. It's been hard now that it's cold and dark all the time.