Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Binge Eating

Yungtravel July 17th, 2020

When it comes to dealing with stress and sadness, I always resort to food and over eat a lot even when I am not hungry. Its the only thing that makes me feel good. I am at my highest weight now and I try to tell my self different things to stop myself from binging but nothing seems to work. Sometimes, I have the good intentions but I always fall back to resorting to overeating to deal with emotions. I try telling myself to be my own best friend telling myseld would you treat a close friend the way youre treating yourself. I try using health as a motivation too and it doesnt work. I simply dont care when Im under stress. Some people say distract yourself but when Im in this state its like its simply out of my control.
Has anyone else on here been through stress eating and if so was there anything in particular that helped stop the cycle? Thanks in advance!!

Tesslovesbooks July 29th, 2020

Hello! I have found this resource to be very helpful in working through the mental tangle of BED.

https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Disordered-Eating

It really helps to have a guide for working through recovery rather than attempting different things on your own (speaking from experience). I hope this helps:)

@Yungtravel

IreneC July 17th, 2020

@Yungtravel

Yes me too for me it has helped a lot to exercise. I go running, but now because of the heat I can't anymore because I wake up too late due to my new insomnia meds. Maybe try walking, journaling, exercise of any kind.

I also think if it's really bad consider seeing a therapist and a dietician/nutricionist as they can both help you in combination to help you have healthy eating habits.

Yungtravel OP July 17th, 2020

@IreneC

Hi Irene,

Thank you for replying! I agree that exercise is a good alternative and has many benefits other than just losing weight. Also, when I used to exercise, it made it easier not to binge because I did not want to ruin my progress. I have been to a nutritionist in the past. The thing is generally speaking, I know what kinds of food to eat to get my nutrients and have an idea of the right portions. The issue I feel is controlling my actions to not turn to food every time I am stressed out or upset. I really wish exercise was my go to when I was stressed. But I think your right about a therapist potentionally helping since its more pyschological.

Yungtravel OP July 17th, 2020

@IreneC

Insomnia is horrible to go through. I experienced it for maybe two weeks...only compared to some who may go through it for years. I felt I was going crazy in that short period of time and couldbt handle it. So I have an idea what that feels like.

I am by no means a doctor, but have you asked your doctor if you can possibly take the medicine at a different time of day to prevent the insomnia?

sympatheticKitten8138 July 21st, 2020

Hi, I binge eat too though I do it less and less. The key for me has been limiting the time I eat (try to eat within a 10 hour feeding window), and eating paleo.

Of course it wont work for everyone, but it was helpful for me to provide some kind of structure around food.

Now I only binge when I have to stop the rigid scheduling.

I know that the binging will never really go away until I do something about my underlying emotional trauma.