Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you deal with your chronic pain

Shawn16 August 12th, 2018

How do you deal with your chronic pain

Sarah929 August 22nd, 2019

@Shawn16- one day at a time. ❤️

CocoaCassie February 2nd, 2023

@Sarah929

I find it can be one minute at a time, sometimes a whole day is far too long to think about getting through :(

Missionmagic101 August 12th, 2018

Not gonna lie, it's a very challenging thing to deal with. I usually take it easy on myself, take my meds and only do stuff that I know I can do without forcing it too much. When I'm having a lot of pain that I can't deal with I try to stay in bed and relax my muscles as much as I can. My mind also needs to be eased so the pain doesn't get worse.

So yeah, a lot of self-care.

Thank you for this question :)

Shawn16 OP August 12th, 2018

@Missionmagic101

u understand that it can be hard I find it hard to deal with my chronic knee pain doses your medication work?

Missionmagic101 August 13th, 2018

@Shawn16 medication is always helpful. sometime is not as helpful as we would expect it to be but it eases the pain even if it's just a teeny tiny amount. if i'm still in severe pain after taking my meds i try to do whatever i can to end it. such as massages, put my hands (i have a LOT of pain in my hands) through cold water, stretch, try to relax with breathing or meditation. i mean, what works for me might not work for you but there are many strategies we can learn that can help us in one way or another.

ultimately it is important that we accept our pain which can seem impossible. but in my personal experience when i get angry at my pain it only gets worse so i try to be at peace with it and do anything my power to ease it.

i hope that was helpful. how do you ease your pain?

Jamesjones10123 January 10th, 2022

@Missionmagic101

I have chronic pain and take multiple pain meds, i wish i could rest and relax as i know its what i need. But other half has other ideas and doesnt like me resting even tho knows my condition and how it affects me. Not sure what to do for the best anymore

PainedAndConfused August 22nd, 2019

I went a few decades with no pain killers as they recommended rubbish like paracetamol and the like and I didn't want to have to take something very strong.

Now the pain is so bad I am on Fentanyl for the pain for life

James10123 June 11th, 2022

@PainedAndConfusedim on fentnayl too. Do you find it helps at all?

kindLand4758 August 22nd, 2019

Greater pain strategy, like get angry just to refocus the adrenaline on amth else or embrace it in the symbiotic way...you embrace the chronic pain and find a way to live with it...

IcedCoffee211109 January 14th, 2022

@Shawn16

--takes a lot of regrouping all day and night long. I have many body locations now. I have to be sure to spread out what I can take and to be sure to know I have to just deal with the pain. It goes get frustrating just wanting relief for even part of a day but it is what it is. I think of what all I am thankful for and blessed with and that helps a lot,

patrickssheets January 19th, 2022

It's tough but I'm trying to keep myself as active as possible. I've been doing exercises to strengthen my back and regular stretches. I also try to stay away from triggers like certain foods that make it worse. I've also found that yoga has really helped me with anxiety and stress, which is a big trigger for my pain. I hope this helps!

goldenThinker5257 June 19th, 2022

I've had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 20, so I've been through the ups and downs of pain. Still, I'm struggling with it, but I am so used to having it in my life for 25 years I deal. I consulted with many doctors they prescribed me pain relievers. But, pills make me tired, and some of them cause me to gain weight. I recently heard that massage therapy could help get rid of the pain. At first, I didn't believe in massage therapy, but I just wanted to try it out. I went to a registered massage therapist. After the first day of treatment, I felt much better, so I continued it. I don't know what to say. It is really a life savior for me.

Bean021 August 31st, 2022

Medication, rest and my tens machine, if you have one?

ambitioushope1234 September 27th, 2022

mutiple medications, rest in the bed, heating pad and i refuse to do anything that will make it worse.

bokett0 October 17th, 2022

i like to chill in bed with some blankets and a heating pack & watch youtube or other stuff on my computer

MistyMagic October 19th, 2022

@bokett0 that sounds a good way. Have you ever tried a weighted blanket?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

uniqueDaisy October 26th, 2022

@Shawn16

1. Medication.

2. Hydrotherapy

3. Electric blanket / hotwater bottles

4. Focus on the positivies - I am still alive. The intensity of the pain will pass.

5. Talk to others about how I am feeling / write my diary.

6. Distraction - eg. crafts.

7. Rest

8. Find the most comfortable position for the parts of my body in pain - eg. rest my legs over the side of the bed.

9. Live one day at a time.

10. Try to learn as much as possible about managing my conditions.

11. Live my life within the limits of my physical disability.

12. Reducing stress, as far as possible in my life.

13. Assist others by taking part in pain research.

14. Weighted blanket.

15. Paceing my activities.

Other things I could do:

Attend a pain managment clinic.

Attend a self help group

forcefulCircle2766 January 30th, 2023

I sought help from an acupuncture doctor

and it helps a lot gradually

PugNinja January 31st, 2023

@Shawn16 personally,I look at what I have in life that helps me through, aids,family, my dog, hobbies, here gives purpose , and i accept i need a rest and tablets ,hot water bottle to help me through,

CocoaCassie February 2nd, 2023

@PugNinjaI agree with a hot water bottle and also my go to is an electric blanket in bed, one that I can remotely turn on and off and up and down!