Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Check-in June 18- 25th (Color and Emotions)

MistyMagic June 18th

Hey Everyone!

I wanted to bring up the subject of colors and emotions and how surrounding ourselves with different colors can affect our well-being.

Colors and emotions are closely linked. Colors can make us feel happy or sad, and they can make us feel calm and relaxed. Thinking about the colors we surround ourselves with is quite important and an easy way to improve the quality of our lives.

AD_4nXf5m6YYLnM1IMgzHVviSrRIpxSJg_xvuDLMJtiNcUA9FqHzV5ArHK3LdAHv_mY3VgqHPQnEqP2X8ahUUogjCFq10uCAdypO3rp4aWXss7miYZRJroDrN1adpu3Lz123a8ZUjsz47n-M7ScfDrZkwlH7KrJP?key=CDRhtukaQJpEMI7e8b7zfg
Colors can have a profound impact on our emotional well-being, influencing our mood, feelings, and even our behavior. This phenomenon, often referred to as color psychology, is utilized in various fields, including marketing, interior design, and art therapy. Here’s how different colors can affect our emotions and overall well-being:

Think of a special item of clothing, tee-shirt or blanket, something you love. What color is it?

Share with us one thing you have planned for this week!

Do you have a favorite color? What is it and how does it make you feel?

MistyMagic OP June 18th

For anyone interested in being Interviewed about their disability or condition, there is a form https://forms.gle/MZ1df1FWtJYHQvuy9  to express your interest in being interviewed as well as volunteering to interview someone else, or just om me!

Catch up with other Interviews Here in our Master List!

Want to join the Disability Support Community Team? Find out more Here

Add or Remove yourself from the taglist here   @777Bre777 @adaptableOcean4193 @adaptablePomegranate1587 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @agreeableTurtle1021 @AguaNector6700 @amusingTalker1267 @Aqua1494 @Arsalanahmed @Ashleylovescats @AttentiveEar @audienta @AutiBoy @Averayne93 @azuladragon34 @BacktotheTrail @BeyondTheInvisible @BlindGrapefruit @blissfulTouch29 @Bndonovan02 @bouncyBreeze44 @bouncyVoice4149 @Breezy2013 @cal1860 @CaringBrit @CheeryPotato @CheerySandi @ChildGoddessFlute @Chloe1644 @cinnamoncocoa @CocoaCassie @Colorfulcatsofhope @communicativePond1728 @considerateBunny7436 @Countrygirl095 @crystallizedrequiem @Daisy7cups @DichotomousDetia @disneymoonlight @Disneywoman @DoISayIt @DonaldK @DylanMark @Edobre399 @Emiliako @emotionalTalker2260 @enthusiasticOwl866 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @fairmindedWater1140 @Fireskye13 @FrenchMarbles @friendlyEars8792 @goldenSpruce1512 @IcedCoffee211109 @IndigoWhisper @InfiniteThoughts2k19 @Jamesjones10123 @Jewels012222 @jovialButterfly6752 @JoyfulUnicorn @JoyIntoDarkness @K87 @kenzixo @killaj0ule @Kittibear @KuhnDisabled101 @kwheelz @lightTriangle7748 @LikeABirdWithoutWings @lovelycoacoa @lovelySun2900 @LoveMyRotty @magnifiedfaith @ManinblacK @MartianGirl347 @MeaningfulSilence @Meowsicle @MistyMagic @mnhtx3 @modestHickory2783 @modestOcean1286 @moosprbrk @MyNameIsNicole @NaomiR @NevaehRose @NotKhan2 @NovaIsNB @Ofenkartoffel @OneErased @PerfectHarmony10 @philosophicalAcai7803 @pinkbunnywabbit @Pixiechu @placidMoth @Plantsaremybestfriends @Poppia @PotFullOfSky2020 @rainbowVibes @Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005 @redGrapes1822 @Redheadmadeofglitter94 @repen13 @reservedCat9143 @RiggsMortis @sabeyesofblue3535 @Seachele @SmolBurrahobbit12 @SparklyCat @specialPurple1582 @StarsOrchidsOwls @stuffiessytem @sunshinegiraffe123 @tearstruck @theboymoana @TimidBear @TomatoEmi @turquoiseHemlock900 @u2canwin @wahmbrenda @Walker7957 @WeedyGarden @WishUponAStar968 @wonderfulRainbow817 @xandia @Xisle @Zed786

Listening - One Step At A Time!

audienta June 18th

@MistyMagic

Think of a special item of clothing, tee-shirt or blanket, something you love. What color is it?

There's a sky-blue hat I really like.

I've planned to have a real break this weekend, only relaxing and recovering allowed.

Blue I think. It makes me feel calm.

MistyMagic OP June 18th

@audienta thanks for replying and I especially love that you colored it in too, makes it perfect.

Your hat sounds really cute, and I love blue, so many different shades!

@MistyMagic

White, blue, pink, red.

S'mores on my patio!

Probably purple right now. 'Wear or be art'. And purple represents art. Makes me feel good.
MistyMagic OP June 20th

@communicativePond1728 S'mores! count me in! Sounds really peaceful and fun!

reservedOwl6476 June 20th

I have my gammies old satin curtains I call it my woobie and it's purple. Purple is my favorite color it makes me feel happy and calm. I made a huge move this week. My boyfriend and are are splitting it wasn't easy at first, but with the support from here, my family and friends. He has been receptive and really realizes he needs help, and I told him to join here. I hope he does, but that's on him now. All I can do is take care of me, and be supportive.

MistyMagic OP July 14th

@reservedOwl6476 I love purple 🟣💜🟣 too! Good luck and I hope everything goes well. Would be great to have an update. I've been away so apologise for the late reply.

slowdecline48 June 21st

I don't have a favorite garment or blanket...if the thing keeps the sun off my skin or keeps me warm when the weather is cold, then I'm happy with it. Certain items I wear are usually black, because it doesn't show stains as much as white fabric does (as an artist & craftsman, I get dirty often) & it goes with everything.

Color-wise, I often gravitate toward blue & purple. Blue feels nice, like the ocean on a warm spring day...purple, I dunno why. I just like it. But it has to be purple, not violet. When I was a kid, my fave color was red. Fire engine red.

MistyMagic OP July 14th

@slowdecline48 I paint too but I found black shows all the splashes of paint lol. 

slowdecline48 July 15th

You do? I wasn't aware of that...

Have you posted anything in Hobby Zone or Arts & Crafts, Misty? If not, why not? Now I wanna see your work!... Seriously, you should post it. At least a couple of your more recent paintings.

SleepyShyCat June 21st

@MistyMagic

My favourite colour is either yellow or green or orange... Mostly green like the trees or a field. 

I have a pair of blue earplugs I take everywhere and I'm really fond of the colour now. 

Me next week: (holiday time!)

cat-fashion.gif

MistyMagic OP July 14th

@SleepyShyCat hope you had a good break! 

glendra-laughing.gif

SleepyShyCat July 14th

@MistyMagic

Me, adjusting to non-holiday life again:cat-bed-hair.gif

MistyMagic OP July 15th

@SleepyShyCat rofl cat-cats.gif

let me help you with your hair :D

SleepyShyCat July 15th

@MistyMagic

Much better... Although are you sure this is what's in fashion these days D:

sad-life-cat.gif

LabeledBPD July 3rd

@MistyMagic

Colours really related to emotions? Is someone just making this up? Without understanding of emotions all that well, now they are tired to colours? 

Can you provide evidence based science or studies this information is taken from please? 

Last thing that’s influenced due to emotion is likeness of colours. Or maybe I’m blind. Seems as far out a claim as the world is flat. I like to learn however so greatly appreciate information as to the origin.

I prefer black with no favourites, colour or items wise, that’s not on the wheel. Any help?

MistyMagic OP July 14th

@LabeledBPD hi! No, I'm not making this up. I will post the accreditations when I am back on my laptop, I'm away right now, or you can Google it.

MistyMagic OP July 14th

@LabeledBPDColors Maybe the following will help explain more.

Colors can have a profound impact on human emotions and behavior. This influence is both psychological and physiological, and varies across different cultures and contexts. Here’s a detailed exploration of how different colors can affect emotions, supported by citations from scientific research and studies.

Red

Red is often associated with strong emotions such as love, passion, and anger. It can increase energy levels and create a sense of urgency, which is why it is commonly used in warning signs and sales promotions.

• Research Evidence: A study by Elliot and Maier (2014) found that red can enhance physical reactions because it is seen as a danger signal, increasing heart rate and arousal levels .
  • Psychological Perspective: According to the color-in-context theory, red can trigger both positive emotions (e.g., love and excitement) and negative emotions (e.g., anger and danger) depending on the situation .

Blue

Blue is often associated with calmness, tranquility, and stability. It is frequently used in corporate settings and healthcare facilities to create a sense of trust and relaxation.

• Research Evidence: A study by Küller et al. (2009) indicated that blue environments can reduce stress and improve relaxation and comfort levels .
  • Psychological Perspective: Blue’s association with the sky and sea promotes a sense of vastness and freedom, contributing to its calming effect.

Yellow

Yellow is typically linked to happiness, optimism, and warmth. However, it can also lead to feelings of frustration and anxiety if overused.

• Research Evidence: According to a study published in the journal "Color Research and Application," yellow can stimulate mental activity and generate feelings of happiness and energy .
  • Psychological Perspective: The brightness of yellow can capture attention quickly, making it effective for warnings and advertisements, but excessive exposure can cause eye strain and agitation.

Green

Green is commonly associated with nature, growth, and health. It is known for its soothing and refreshing qualities.

• Research Evidence: A study by Park and Mattson (2008) found that exposure to green environments can reduce stress and enhance mood .
  • Psychological Perspective: Green’s connection to nature and its calming effect make it ideal for promoting relaxation and healing, often used in environments like hospitals and spas.

Purple

Purple is often associated with luxury, creativity, and spirituality. It can evoke feelings of mystery and sophistication.

• Research Evidence: Research published in the journal "Frontiers in Psychology" indicates that purple can stimulate creativity and imagination .
  • Psychological Perspective: Historically, purple dyes were rare and expensive, linking the color to wealth and nobility, which continues to influence its perception today.

Orange

Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow, often associated with enthusiasm, creativity, and warmth.

• Research Evidence: A study in the "Journal of Environmental Psychology" found that orange can increase social interaction and uplift mood .
  • Psychological Perspective: Orange’s vibrant and energetic nature can stimulate appetite and activity, making it a popular choice for restaurants and gyms.

Black and White

Black is often associated with power, elegance, and mystery, while white represents purity, simplicity, and cleanliness.

• Research Evidence: A study by Saito (1996) on color preferences and their emotional associations found that black can evoke feelings of authority and sophistication, while white can create a sense of space and neutrality .
  • Psychological Perspective: The contrast between black and white can create a striking visual effect, often used in design to convey clarity and formality.

Conclusion

Colors have a significant impact on human emotions and behaviors. Understanding these effects can help in various applications, from marketing to interior design, enhancing the desired emotional response and overall experience.

References

1. Elliot, A. J., & Maier, M. A. (2014). Color Psychology: Effects of Perceiving Color on Psychological Functioning in Humans. Annual Review of Psychology, 65, 95-120.
  2. Meier, B. P., & Robinson, M. D. (2005). The Color of Sin: White and Black Are Perceptual Symbols of Moral Purity and Pollution. Psychological Science, 16(10), 780-784.
  3. Küller, R., Ballal, S., Laike, T., Mikellides, B., & Tonello, G. (2009). The Impact of Light and Colour on Psychological Mood: A Cross-Cultural Study of Indoor Work Environments. Ergonomics, 49(14), 1496-1507.
  4. Kaya, N., & Epps, H. H. (2004). Relationship between Color and Emotion: A Study of College Students. College Student Journal, 38(3), 396-405.
  5. Park, S. H., & Mattson, R. H. (2008). Effects of Flowering and Foliage Plants in Hospital Rooms on Patients Recovering from Abdominal Surgery. HortTechnology, 18(4), 563-568.
  6. Whitfield, T. W. A., & Wiltshire, T. J. (1990). Color Psychology: A Critical Review. Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs, 116(4), 385-411.
  7. Bellizzi, J. A., Crowley, A. E., & Hasty, R. W. (1983). The Effects of Color in Store Design. Journal of Retailing, 59(1), 21-45.
  8. Saito, M. (1996). Comparative Studies on Color Preference in Japan and Other Asian Regions, with Special Emphasis on the Preference for White. Color Research & Application, 21(1), 35-49
  9. Written with the help of ai generation - openai.

LabeledBPD July 14th

@MistyMagic

wow, thank you for providing this detailed reply and the original post itself. There is a lot to go trough and all incredibly interesting. 

Such knowledge is a representative of how I have lots to learn . 

Thank you

MistyMagic OP July 15th

@LabeledBPD you are welcome. We can never stop learning, the more we learn the more there is to learn?

LabeledBPD July 15th

@MistyMagic

❤️ very true.

just sorry if I came across ungrateful or simply mean.

Together we grow, learn and unite. 

Looking past judgement and preconceived concepts, nothing can stop us. Assumptions are the mother of all f0ck ups!! 

MistyMagic OP July 16th

@LabeledBPDyou are fine, no worries! I love that saying hehehe :)

MusicCandy July 14th

@MistyMagicgreen, but i like pink too

MistyMagic OP July 14th

@MusicCandy great choice of colours, sounds like mint candy to me.