Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Meditation and Self-Care

MistyMagic September 24th

September is Self-Care Awareness month! Read more Here!

AD_4nXe5mFYhJhbz9bSs0qNzt73ntE_WdcythsOIXVA7yrxgrCMYuZZPPbKK8OewS8iiN-Z-_V3Ue033h_zH89rch2XahTkkVvV3RFxzVjD1gT9cZnvHzWNnJv288HTYc58uF7koZbG0zV9bB-_A8atkdL7oUZsn?key=dtA4Nmx3MEQ6Ssx9ypjZrw

Meditation and Self-care

Meditation is a word that can scare many people but it is not all about sitting cross-legged and saying ‘Ohmmm’ (although that works a treat!), it can take many forms and you can also design your own. You probably use a type of meditation when you stir your coffee and think, or whilst waiting for the water to boil to make your tea.

Meditation covers a vast array of ways to focus your mind and body into one!

Using simple meditation as a form of self-care can be incredibly beneficial for reducing stress, enhancing focus, and promoting overall well-being. Below are ways to incorporate meditation into your self-care routine, followed by some useful resources and ten frequently asked questions with answers about meditation.

So, all-in-all a complete guide to simple mediation!

Ways to Use Simple Meditation as Self-Care:

1. Breath Awareness Meditation: Focus on your breath. Notice how it flows in and out without changing it. Do this for a certain number of breaths, seconds, or minutes.This can calm your mind and reduce stress.You can decide whether it feels more comfortable breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth, the opposite or even in and out through your nose or mouth. This way you are in control and do what suits your body the most. Try them all then decide.

2. Body Scan Meditation: Mentally scan your body from head to toe, noticing any tension or discomfort. This helps to relax your muscles and increase body awareness.This is more complicated and needs more time and can mean that any areas need more attention.

3. Mindfulness Meditation: Sit quietly and bring your attention to the present moment without judgment. Observe your thoughts as they come and go, helping to reduce anxiety and stress. There is also the Mindfulness Community here on 7 Cups. 

4. Guided Meditation: Use a recorded guide that leads you through visualizations or relaxation techniques. This is a good option for beginners who need direction. You can also record meditations yourself so they are directly identifiable to you current condition.

5. Mantra Meditation: Repeat a calming word or phrase (mantra) silently to focus the mind. Common mantras include "Om" or "peace."

6. Walking Meditation: Practice mindfulness while walking slowly, paying attention to your steps and the sensations in your body. It’s ideal for those who find sitting meditation challenging.

7. Gratitude Meditation: Spend a few minutes reflecting on things you're grateful for. This can shift your mindset towards positivity and contentment.

8. Five Senses Meditation: Tune into each of your five senses—what you see, hear, smell, taste, and feel. This can ground you and bring your awareness back to the present.

9. Short “Micro” Meditation: Take 1-3 minutes to focus on your breath, a mantra, or a calming visualization. This is perfect for quick mental resets throughout the day.

10. Counting Meditation: Count slowly from 1 to 100, or 1 to 50 or pick a number, this focuses the mind and the thought together so that energy is synchronised.

11. Cleansing Meditation: Whilst standing or sitting at the sink concentrate on each task and each circular motion of the items. Or whilst showering focus on the sensation of the water and allow yourself to concentrate on each movement and finally allow the water to run over you washing away all negative energy down the plug hole away to the Earth.

12. Favourite Place Meditation: Visualise how to get from where you are to your favourite or safe place. Think about each movement, moment and the route shedding any negativity on the way. You can get there even when you are actually somewhere else. You can calm yourself and soak in the good energy, replenishing and refreshing yourself from that place before you return. You can return in a heartbeat if you are ready, if not then retrace your  steps gradually building up strength to face the world again.

Each of these meditations can take moments, you can practice them almost anywhere, and, when you have tried them a few times you can even use them in busy meetings or stressful times.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Meditation:

1. Q: How do I start meditating if I’ve never done it before?

A: Start by setting aside 5-10 minutes in a quiet place. Sit comfortably, close your eyes, and focus on your breathing. Don't worry about "doing it right"—just pay attention to your breath.

1. Q: How long should I meditate for as a beginner?

A: Start with 5-10 minutes a day and gradually increase as you become more comfortable. Even short sessions can be beneficial.

1. Q: What should I do if my mind keeps wandering? 

A: It’s normal for your mind to wander. When you notice it happening, gently bring your attention back to your breath or focus point. Over time, this will become easier.

1. Q: Do I need to sit in a specific posture to meditate? 

A: No. Sit in any position that is comfortable for you. The most important thing is to maintain a relaxed and alert posture. You can even meditate lying down if you wish, but you might be more likely to fall asleep.

1. Q: Can I meditate if I don’t believe in spirituality? 

A: Absolutely. Meditation doesn’t require any specific spiritual belief. It can be practiced simply for relaxation, focus, and mental clarity.

1. Q: Is it better to meditate in the morning or evening? 

A: There’s no “better” time. Morning meditation can set a peaceful tone for the day, while evening meditation helps to unwind and relax. Choose a time that fits your schedule.The more you do short meditations the more you will find new ways and times.

1. Q: What are the benefits of meditation?

A: Meditation can reduce stress, improve focus, increase self-awareness, promote emotional health, and enhance sleep quality. Long-term practice has been shown to positively affect overall mental well-being.

1. Q: How do I stop falling asleep during meditation

A: Try meditating sitting up rather than lying down. You can also open your eyes slightly or try meditating earlier in the day when you’re more awake. But, hey, what's so bad about falling asleep as long as you are safe, some people use it as a sleep aid.

1. Q: How long does it take to see the benefits of meditation?

A: Some benefits, such as feeling more relaxed, can be experienced immediately. However, for long-term effects like reduced anxiety or improved focus, consistent practice over weeks or months is typically required.

1. Q: What if I don’t have a lot of time to meditate?

A: You can still benefit from just a few minutes of meditation each day. Micro-meditations, where you focus on your breath or surroundings for 1-3 minutes, can be very effective.

By integrating meditation into your self-care routine, you can develop a practice that not only calms the mind but also strengthens your overall mental and emotional well-being. There are many accessible resources to help you get started, and with time, even brief moments of mindfulness can offer profound benefits.

☺️Share your ways to meditate here!

☺️Do you meditate? Or are you going to try?

☺️Do you have any meditation questions?

☺️Would you be interested in a group meditation here?

Sunisshiningandsoareyou September 24th

@MistyMagic

Soooo well written, MagicalMisty, your forum posts and discussions are spot on always!💜

Om chanting is truly such a powerful way to meditate, can do the chanting while sitting in a comfortable position, in a quiet space or can also simply listen to the Om chants' audio, I often do it at night when I'm having trouble falling asleep, and it does help a bit in putting my mind and body at some ease.😇

There are so many audios in spotify and youtube as well, and I'm sure on other music-playing-apps/ websites too.

Thank you for the superrr important reminder when it comes to meditation or doing a mindfulness exercise- to NOT worry about doing it "right"~ I feel our mind is already put to some ease and feels a little at peace when we aren't focused on #1 doing something and #2 doing something in the "right" manner, so specially with an activity that is meant to put our mind in a tranquil state of breathing in the *now*, it's all the more important not to fuss about 'perfection' hehe. 

I am a beginner too, and try not to focus on doing it right or even doing it regularly (a habit would be nice but I feel that would be putting on too much pressure and add more stress for me), just mostly whenever I need some quick grounding or some help with falling asleep.

Oooooh and breathing exercises are no less than magic sometimes!✨

affirmations-universes.gif

slowdecline48 Tuesday
@MistyMagic Sounds wonderful & beneficial. There's just one problem: meditation doesn't mix with chronic head pain. I learned that firsthand.