Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Learning About FND With @EmpatheticListener0309šŸ’œ

MyNameIsNicole May 5th, 2022

Some months ago, when I made a post under the Epilepsy Awareness Day Event I was asked if non-epileptic seizures are also a part of purple day. The truth is, not only did I not know the answer to that question, I also had no idea what non-epileptic seizures were.

The person interviewed today played an avid role in educating me about non-epileptic seizures, and also encouraged me to take a course on seizure first aid. Even though, I am sure they do not know this.

And so with great pleasure, I welcome @EmpatheticListener0309 who helps us understand Functional Neurological Disorders better.

Thank you for your time and your efforts in spreading awareness, and making visible what has been labelled an invisible illness.

Question (1): What were the challenges that you had getting diagnosed with FND?

Answer: The most challenging situation I had faced with FND diagnosis is that my doctors thought it was Epileptic seizures for 22 years until a year ago when they actually looked at the bigger picture that my medication was not working.

Question (2): FND has been called the ā€˜silent illnessā€™ by articles in the past, do you agree with this and why?

Answer: I do agree with that, unless you have it no one really understands what it is like to deal with and you get told ā€œyou donā€™t look sickā€ because it is not seen on the outside.

Question (3): Have you encountered stigma or prejudices from people who do not have or understand FND?

Answer: Relating it back to my pervious answer, there is a lot of stigma with invisible illnesses as society puts people in a box and categorises people with disabilities as just one which they can see (physical disabilities) as there is a lack of understanding. I have encountered this more than once, especially in employment and education.

Question (4) : To a person who has never heard of FND, how would you explain?

Answer: For me I like to make it short and simple with a little humour I say that my FND enjoys messing up my nervous system as my FND is mainly triggered by external environmental stress.

Question (5): What is the hardest struggle youā€™ve experienced living with FND?

Answer: I have only been diagnosed for 9 months to be honest. I think it is that people think it is ā€œall in your headā€. I have had to educate my grandma that these non-epileptic seizures are very much real and affect me the same as an epileptic seizure.

Question (6): When around people who are not aware you have FND, what are your biggest concerns?

Answer: I donā€™t think I have any concerns

Question (7): How would you prefer to be supported when experiencing the symptoms caused by FND such as functional seizures?

Answer: I would prefer to be treated like anyone else and when it comes to non-epileptic seizures the only thing people can do is let it happen and make sure I am safe.

Question (8): In your opinion, are the sufficient treatments and medical research for FND?

Answer: To be honest before my diagnosis I had no idea what FND was. I donā€™t take medication for FND (also treatments are different, depending on what country you are in, I am not based in America so I donā€™t know what the treatments are like there) However I havenā€™t needed to have treatment.

Question (9): What hobbies/passions do you have? What activities do you enjoy doing?

Answer: My passion is helping people. I am a practising youth worker in my final year at university. I enjoy drawing and writing. My passion is to make a difference in local youth in my city.

Question (10): Disability Support aims to provide a community to people living with different conditions, such as FND. Have you found a community of people who have FND in disability support? Or rather, do you think there is an importance of having one?

Answer: I think it is extremely important to have support groups for people with the same health diagnosis to ensure that people know that they are not alone.

Question (11) : Is there anything you would like to say/include?

Answer: I think what you are doing is brilliant. Keep up the good work!

Click HERE to read more about non-epileptic seizures. To participate in this interview series, fill out this interest form.

If you would like to be added/removed from the following taglist, Click HERE:

ļ»æ@777Bre777 @adaptablePomegranate1587 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @amusingTalker1267 @Aqua1494 @Arsalanahmed @Ashleylovescats @AttentiveEar @Averayne93 @Azalea98 @azuladragon34 @BeyondTheInvisible @BlindGrapefruit @bouncyVoice4149 @Breezy2013 @CaringBrit @CheeryPotato @CheerySandi @ChildGoddessFlute @Colorfulcatsofhope @considerateBunny7436 @considerateParadise6717 @Disneywoman @DoISayIt @DylanMark @Edobre399 @Emiliako @emotionalTalker2260 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @fairmindedWater1140 @Fireskye13 @FrenchMarbles @friendlyEars8792 @goldenSpruce1512 @IcedCoffee211109 @InfiniteThoughts2k19 @Jamesjones10123 @JoyfulUnicorn @JoyIntoDarkness @K87 @killaj0ule @kwheelz @lightTriangle7748 @LikeABirdWithoutWings @lovelySun2900 @LoveMyRotty @magnifiedfaith @ManinblacK @MistyMagic @mnhtx3 @modestOcean1286 @moosprbrk @MyNameIsNicole @NaomiR @NevaehRose @OneErased @pinkbunnywabbit @Pixiechu @placidMoth @PotFullOfSky2020 @rainbowVibes @Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005 @redGrapes1822 @Redheadmadeofglitter94 @repen13 @sabeyesofblue3535 @SmolBurrahobbit12 @specialPurple1582 @StarsOrchidsOwls @sunshinegiraffe123 @TheResilientDancer @TimidBear @turquoiseHemlock900 @u2canwin @wahmbrenda @WarmLightXO @WeedyGarden @wonderfulRainbow817 @xandia @Zed786

ļ»æThank you for reading, have a good day!šŸ’œ

Sunisshiningandsoareyou May 5th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole @EmpatheticListener0309

It's extremely admirable you decided to educate yourself and us, Nicole. Yall are indeed doing brilliant work in this special series and it's so very appreciated. šŸ’œ

Hello Emp, nice to meet you. Many thanks to you for sharing your experience with us and educating us. I feel the more people become aware, the more they can move past the stigma and the "it's in your head" thought process and would actually acknowledge how real these are and validate the struggles, providing a non-judgmental safe space to seek support and company; here's hoping for a safe, equal, supportive, compassionate and judgment-free world for all. šŸ’œ Sending love and support your way.

EmpatheticListener0309 October 22nd, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Thank you! I am happy to spread awareness on this as it is important and not heard of either! Even before I was diagnosed with FND (functional neurological disorder), I had no idea what it was.

WarmLightXO May 5th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole your intro to this is absolutely brilliant, applause for you!!

@EmpatheticListener0309 thank you bunches for doing this interview and bringing awareness to this! I too was unfamiliar with it, and I'm sure you've prompted a good many of us to get reacquainted with google today šŸ˜›

MyNameIsNicole OP May 6th, 2022

@WarmLightXO

Thank you Elliot, you're always welcome to see the non-epileptic post under disability supportā¤ļø

cloudySummer May 6th, 2022

@MyNameIsNicole Hi - maybe I overlooked it, but what does the abbreviation FND stand for and is it related to the non-epileptic seizures? It's hard to tell from the article introduction. Left me wondering.

MyNameIsNicole OP May 6th, 2022

@cloudySummer

hi, I just edited the introduction. I understand that it's important to be clear because that's how people can learn.

Functional neurological disorders, cause non-epileptic seizures. Seizures are uncontrolled electrical activity in the brain. One often is diagnosed with epilepsy, within 24 hours of having two seizures with no noticeable cause.

Non-epileptic seizures on the other hand, have nothing to do with electrical activity from the brain. Although their cause is unknown, it can be related to trauma, stress, or the impact of another condition.

I linked an informative post below the interview, but here's an easy link:

Non Epileptic Seizures|7 Cups

cloudySummer October 22nd, 2022

Ah, thanks. Just one ssmall correction: they don't 'cause' the seizures (as you say the cause is somewhere in the genetics and learning history of a person). But non-epileptic seizures are a form of FND, like 'hysterical paralysis' (it probably has a different name today) or other psychologically caused disorders that mimic neurological ones.

@cloudySummer stands for functional neurological disorder. Hope that clarifies your question :)

audienta May 7th, 2022

Thank you @EmpatheticListener0309 for spreading awareness about fnd! I'm really shocked that it took 22 years for you to get properly diagnosed. I wish you all the best!

Thank you purple friend @MyNameIsNicole for continuing the interview series!

@audienta Thank you! I was diagnosed with Epilepsy for 22 years, so all along. They thought it was epileptic seizures even though there were classic signs that the medications I took didn't work. But better late than never, I suppose.

audienta October 22nd, 2022

@EmpatheticListener0309

I'm glad that you got the right diagnosis now. Have you been able to manage the seizures better since you got the correct diagnosis?