Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Writing therapy?

LorryLulu September 4th, 2016

I've always found comfort in writing, and a load of people have said to me about how it has helped them het through depression.

Question is what are you supposed to write about? I started writing to feel better and ended up rambling for three or four pages.

Is there any exercises or techniques you guys can recommend?

heartfulHeart81 October 13th, 2016

@LorryLulu I'm glad you are able to find comfort in writing. I do too sometimes. You can either right about what you are feeling or do what I did and Google writing prompts. Also, if you're into art, I recommend looking up art journaling. :)

zenith314 December 9th, 2016

@LorryLulu I am so proud of you for journalling! I agree with blossombreathe about writing poetry. And if you feel even braver than that, you can try doing slam poetry in your area or keep a blog to inspire others about your journey. But only if it's not too scary or demanding. The beautiful thing about journalling in its pure form is that it's for you.

Mtude September 4th, 2016

@LorryLulu

So I am by no means an expert and I may have completely missed your point which if I have, I'm sorry, but are you referring to writing a diary or journal ?. I use to do this, and yes I would also do the same, write too much but it helped get my thoughts out and in the end I dont think it makes a difference how long or short it is but the act of just doing the writing is the theraputic part. As time goes on you could start to bullet point your thoughts which may help to provide focus and grounding. At the moment I use my feed as an outlet for my thoughts rightly or wrongly but it helps me.

LorryLulu OP September 4th, 2016

@Mtude yeah a journal, but also using writing prompts like on the forums here.

Belis September 4th, 2016

@LorryLulu

Have you considered a self-help book? It may give you ideas on how to move forward with this idea. It sounds like a worthwhile project for sure. Just an example of a workbook.

@Belis thank you :-) I've started rooting around the net for exercises and found a few good ones, like writing a letter to someone, it always helped me in the past and I really think it could help me now

@Mtude also, last night i started feeling really low and i ended up writing about me and my history. It was hard at first but I found that as soon as i got going I couldn't stop lol

@LorryLulu

Lol - glad you chose your writing as a coping option - you are choosing to be positive and continue to fight against the depression / anxiety, definitely inspiring ! - keep strong !! 😎

@Mtude thank you :-) I decided to show a couple of people what I wrote. They were touched and said that me writing would help and I should carry on.and last night I decided to start a blog

@LorryLulu

Wow, that's amazing ! 😎

@Mtude thank you 😊

@LorryLulu

I hope we get to see some examples of your writing through your feed, if you feel comfortable with that of course ! 😊 Either way, hope you keep going with it and really glad that it helps. 😎

@Mtude I'll pop a few things on there when I feel ready :-) a lot of things on there may be triggers for the people on my feed

devu2001 April 24th, 2017

@LorryLulu

devu2001 April 24th, 2017

@devu2001 thats amazing

jr50 October 7th, 2016

@LorryLulu. I have been Journaling for 7 months it works, gets thoughts out

blossombreathe October 9th, 2016

@jr50laugh

I think journaling really helps!! Thanks for sharing this idea

jr50 October 9th, 2016

@blossombreathe. In my younger years before children, I also wrote poems, but I haven't done in years, when I try to get back to ,one or both of my children need attention, I then I can't concentrate any more, my goal is to do it again one day

blossombreathe October 9th, 2016

@LorryLulu

I like to write poetry about how I am feeling and share it here in the 7 Cups literature group!! I love writing so much. It really does help get your thoughts down and out of your mind. laugh

Mrcheeku December 4th, 2016

@LorryLulu I have a habit of maintaining a journal daily. What I write about is how my day was, what are the things that went wrong, what are the mistakes I made, what are my targets for tomorrow and so on. Writing has helped me really well to calm me and control my emotions.Hope it helps u too!!!. hugs

staywithyou December 5th, 2016

@LorryLulu

I think you can write anything down. Writing itself reflect your mood, and help you understand yourself better.

Or maybe you can try psychological displacement writing, which is to write the event that confused you with First person, Second person, and Third person point of view. The process is like talking to others, and help you see things with different point of view that might help find a way out.

I am sure your writing is great :) It will be wonderful if you'd like to share <3

riverWillow6 December 16th, 2016

@LorryLulu

I would say rambling for 3 or 4 pages is fine. If it helped you feel better, what does the content matter? All that matters is the answer to this question, "Do I feel better after writing this than I did before?" If the answer is yes, don't worry about "right" or "proper" techniques. Don't worry about what you "should" write. Focus on how you feel after.

If you find this hard, there are tons of journals specifically for this. One I know of is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy by Kai Musashi. I've not used it. I've just heard about it.

There also a lot of writing prompt websites for example https://daringtolivefully.com/journal-prompts

She suggests using a journal jar and just pulling one out at random. You could do that or look at the list and see if there's one that draws your interest that day.

Finally, the golden rule for a writer suffering writer's block: Just start writing. :)

I hope you've found this helpful (assuming you made it this far). Who's rambling now? ;)

~Willow

caringDaisy12 December 21st, 2016

It helped me a lot especially when i use different papers styles with different pens colors :) writing is beautiful and great

KingdomWorker April 27th, 2017

I also love writing and doodling. I try to keep my thought focused and write with purpose, but I often go off the rail about one thing or another. lol.