Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Nightmares and How To Manage Them!

blossombreathe April 18th, 2017

Hiya Everyone! laugh

Me and the lovely @ConnorSmith decided we would collaborate together and talk about nightmares.

Everyone has experienced them at some point in their life, some more than others. Were here to talk through techniques to help reduce the intensity of nightmares and manage them better. heart

Image result for sleeping nightmare

What is a nightmare? surprise

A nightmare is indeed a bad dream, with a vivid and disturbing plot that most often wakes the person from their sleep. They are usually based off of real life experiences, or portray a certain emotion a person could be experiencing in their day-to-day life.

Most nightmares occur during REM sleep, when your brain is the most active. Having a nightmare can occur repetitively, this is called a recurring nightmare.

~

The Imagery Rehearsal Technique:-

Imagery Rehearsal Technique is a good, well-known method in reducing the number and intensity of nightmares among people.

In IRT treatment, you are helped to revisualize your nightmares using a different perspective. The goal is to reprogram your nightmares to be less intense.

What Happens in Imagery Rehearsal Technique:

You can work with IRT alone or with the help of a friend. You do not need a professional to allow yourself to do this. (however, it may be beneficial for some)

~ Create detailed, non-frightening endings for nightmares.

~ Write down and rehearse with the new endings.

~ Monitor your nightmares so you know how well the IRT treatment is working.

You can start with one of your less terrifying dreams, to help build your confidence and prevent you from being triggered by the nightmares again as you wake up.

The main objective is to help you see your nightmares with minimum distress. You can think of it as a crawl before you walk approach.

@blossombreathes Personal Experience

Original:-

Im walking in an everlasting meadow, with the sky a beautiful browny orange. Im alone. I turn around and see a black silhouette of a massive tree, with a rope hanging from it. I run towards it, then the rope vanishes. The sky turns a menacing black and comes closer and closer, trapping me in.

New Version:-

Im in a meadow, during the afternoon. The sky's bright blue and Im with my friends. We are talking together and walking around. Theres a massive tree which we climb together. When we get to the top, we look out at a beautiful waterfall in the distance.

~ If you would like to collaborate with either of us, please do not hesitate to PM us! We really enjoyed working together. ~

Have you personally experienced several nightmares or recurring ones? You are not alone! Have you tried this method before? Did it work for you? Or, are you going to give it a go? Do you have any questions youd like us to answer?

Let us know!

Thank you for reading! We hope you are having a lovely day. laugh

Tagging:-

@allnaturalNight50 @Annaxelia @Anomalia @ApplePiney @Avram @BlissfulSummer @Brightheart993 @bunnypants @BurningEmber @colourfulSpring22 @DonaldK @EJGatsby @EllieKB @Emily619 @Emory20 @Erato @EssenceOfHope @freshHug78 @Fuzzyfiz12 @Glue @HarryBarry @HarveyM @imontheoutside @Isha2017 @Istand4peace @Jenna @JessSnow @Joe2017 @jollystrawb @juniperstarfish1 @KingAl @Laura @LittleLotte @Liv @Lucy @Lyra @Moj @No715 @OceansLove @Olala18 @PositiveLenaBanana @PuppyLove13 @RaCat @RideaRainbow @Roisin2016 @RosieGirl333 @RumpleSteeleSkin @sail46 @Sarra @sensitiveShade5337 @SettledBreathing @Starboxxx @sujaypai @TheHuggleMonster @TigressAalia @xDysonx @Yendi @ZizyTheTurtle @QueenAsphodel @AldrichHarrison

*this taglist will NOT be used again*

Helpful Resources:-

Calm - Meditation Techniques for Sleep and Stress Reduction

More Information on Nightmares

7Cups Sleeping Well Self-Help Guide

Nightmare Disorder

Dream Dictionary - Understand yourself!

Vent out your dream.

Erato April 18th, 2017

@blossombreathe Woah! ❣ Thank you for giving this a chance to be talked about 💛 and for suggesting this method to help people manage and handle their nightmares 🌸

blossombreathe OP April 18th, 2017

@Erato

Hey there lovely! I am glad you like the method me and @ConnorSmith presented, you're welcome. :3 I've had many nightmares recently and I'm hoping that it'll help me out! ^-^ *huggles* heart Thank you for reading! laugh

QueenAsphodel April 18th, 2017

@blossombreathe Thank you so much for sharing such valuable suggestions! I don't have recurring nightmares, but I did have some nightmares when I was younger. I just changed the position of the bed from the one in which I slept while I had the nightmare. And that's what worked for me, as I had pretty much less of them. And the IRT technique seems really creative and hopeful. Thank you ^-^

@QueenAsphodel

Hi lovely! Thank you for reading and you're welcome :3 Many of us have had nightmares in our childhood and it is intereting to hear that even by just changing the position of your bed can make a difference. I hope that you are having a good day and that some of these tips and facts will be helpful for you sometime. *huggles* heart

bunnypants April 18th, 2017

@blossombreathe awh, sweet of you to tags me's.

but i am a dream warrior.

i'm not sure what i'd do for fun if it weren't grappling with demons :3

@bunnypants

Awe haha! Hope you're doing okie, lovely. :3 heart

cooldinosaur April 18th, 2017

I've had recurring nightmares about my dad and my brother dying in a fire, but they ended themselves. This is useful information, because I have weird dreams every single night. Thank you!

@cooldinosaur

The nightmare about your brother and father being in a fire certainly sounds horribubble, I'm glad that they have stopped now. Everybody has dreams but most cannot remember them! Dreams are weird, eh? cheeky Thank you for reading and sharing, wishing you all the best! heart

sensitiveShade5337 April 18th, 2017

@blossombreathe

Awesome!! thanks for tagging me!!

@sensitiveShade5337

You're welcome, lovely :3 Thank you for reading; I hope you have a good day! ^-^ heart

EJGatsby April 18th, 2017

This is a funny one for me, mainly because, 90% of the time I don't really dream. That said I have started to dream a little more since I got over my depression - which is kinda normal I guess but weird. Anyway. I have had recurring nightmares. Two in fact - though not at the same time. And both of them sort of "resolved themselves" and never came back. In both cases a dream started off in the classic way, like the nightmare, and then, for some reason, I am able to overcome the problem in it and just like that, they never reccurred again! I think it was more to do with the fact that I had somehow solved the problem they were pertaining to in real life though because I wasn't making a conscious effort to overcome the nightmares at the time, I never knew there WAS an actual solution! Will definitely try these tactics if it happens again!

@EJGatsby

Hiya! Even though you may not be able to remember your dream, we dream most nights! It's really weird, I know. It's really interesting to know that you've had experiences with recurring nightmares however they have solved themselves with time. It seems like once you solved a certain problem in your life, the dreams weren't as frequent. I'm glad you like the tips, I hope they come in useful for you sometime! ^-^ *huggles* Thank you for reading. heart

April 18th, 2017

@blossombreathe

This is a great post on nightmares. Thank you for sharing and for the resources!

@Kylar

You're welcome, I'm glad you like it! cheeky Wishing you all the best heart

EllieKB April 18th, 2017

this is really interesting! thank you for sharing

i've always struggled with nightmares and weird, upsetting dreams and my boyfriend gets them really bad as well. i'm going to mention this to him :) hopefully it'll help

blossombreathe OP April 21st, 2017

@EllieKB

You're welcome! I really do hope that these tips help you and your boyfriend out in the future. *huggles* Thank you for reading! heart

RaCat April 18th, 2017

@blossombreathe thank you for this helpful post! I am interested in dreams and it was a pleasure to find out more about nightmares. I bet now I would be able to control my nightmares better :P

P.S. @kestis, check it out!

@RaCat

I'm glad you like it and I hope that these tips will help you and many others manage nightmares better. laughheart

sail46 April 18th, 2017

Thank you for tagging. Fortunately I do not have nightmares.

@sail46

It's good to hear that you don't experience any nightmares! *huggles* Thank you for reading, lovely. heart

LittleLotte April 18th, 2017

I have very vivid dreams and plenty of nightmares. Only one is recurrent but, if I'm lucky, I only get it about once every few months (probably because of my insomnia, I don't get enough sleep to dream all that much!). I'd really like to do something about my nightmares but as they're so random it's hard to know what to do.

@LittleLotte

Insomnia and recurring dreams are hard to tackle! However, I'm sure that over time things will get better regarding sleep for you, lovely. *huggles* :3 heart Wishing you the best! laugh

LittleLotte April 23rd, 2017

@blossombreathe I've kind-of learnt to accept that I'll never get any proper sleep without medication. I've been this way since I was a child and have tried everything to solve it, I guess it'll always just be this way.

jollystrawb April 18th, 2017

@blossombreathe OMGGGGG LOVEEEEEE U guys are awesome!!!

@jollystrawb

Yay! laugh I'm glad you liked this post, lovely. :3 heart

TransAm85 April 18th, 2017

Actually, about 18 years ago, before all this fancy technology, when I was diagnosed w/epilepsy, I had to stay a week in the hospital and they wanted to test my sleep patterns/dreams to see if that part of my brain was the origin of my seizures. They would give me sleep medicine of course and had a bunch of cords on my head to get the "electrical vibes" .. Anxiety/stress is a trigger for seizures as well as a nightmare so that's why they did that I guess. But they found them coming from the left temporal lobe which is our memory, concentration, and focus section I guess. If you can manage your anxiety and stress levels, it may lower risks of horrible nightmares and reoccuring ones.

@TransAm85

That's really interesting, lovely, thank you for letting us know! So, if you try to have a calmer lifestyle, recurring nightmares are less likely to trouble you. *huggles* Wishing you the best! laughheart

Anggi April 21st, 2017

These are some really great tips! I'll definitely give them all a try :)

@Anggi

Awesome! I hope they prove useful to you, lovely. Thank you for reading. :3 heart

JustLikeMellie April 21st, 2017

@blossombreathe This is great! Thank you for sharing this :)

@JustLikeMellie

You're welcome, I'm glad you like it! ^-^ heart

TaniyaCJ April 21st, 2017

@blossombreathe Wow <3 This was really beautifull presented *the fonts and colours* and It was so helpful :) Thank You so much <3

@TaniyaCJ

Awe, thank you lovely! I'm glad you like the way I laid it out and the information me and @ConnorSmith provided :3 heart Wishing you a good day! laugh

aWallflower07 April 22nd, 2017

Vivid dreams are something I've experienced most of my life. Sometimes my dreams are just telling a story, but they're always intense, claustrophbic and lucid. Other times, I have nightmares that are terrifying and can merge with reality, as I slumber in this half awake/half asleep state. I can wake every half an hour during some sleeps, recovering from a new dream each time. The only thing that helps me is smoking weed before sleeping which seems to put me in a deeper cycle and allows me to dream without it disturbing my sleep and without remembering them when I wake up. I get the feeling they are all my supressed feelings manifesting when I'm unconscious, but it cann get exhausting if not managed. Anyone else have a similar experience?

LittleLotte April 24th, 2017

@aWallflower07 YES! I never get into the deep sleep phase, I only ever seem to sleep for short periods of time (after spending hours trying to get to sleep in the first place) which means I just visit the dream state and have lots of highly vivid and evocative dreams, some very, very disturbing. Weed helps me a bit too but I don't have regular access to it.

Janieee December 19th, 2018

@aWallflower07

I have gone through such nightmares, the one which I often have is - some people are running behind me. I don't know why. as it continues for a long time where I run the whole city escaping from them. As I continue to run I reach to bridge which is connected to reach the other end of the water fall. I continue to run on the bridge to hide from them. As I reachn in the middle of the bridge I get hit on my leg and I fell from the height. Shouting loudly and asking for a help I reach the ground thinking that I will die now and suddenly I wake up for my the nightmare for very few seconds and the fall asleep again in seconds, this for every half an hour to an hour. While I had to manage such nightmares and overcome from it. I came across a reinvented meditation method which helped me a lot, which is SOS method (Meditation reinvented) and I don't have such horrible nightmare. You can check out this one here: http://sosmethod.co/ rather then going with the weed buddy!

No715 April 24th, 2017

@blossombreathe

@blossombreathe

Thank you for tagging me.

I do expereicne nightmares, every night. I'll try the IRT. Thank you for this heart

blossombreathe OP April 25th, 2017

@No715

Awe, I'm sorry to hear that you experience nightmares frequently! I really do hope that this technique helps you out. Let us know! Wishing you all the best. laughheart

No715 April 26th, 2017

@blossombreathe thank you laugh

devu2001 April 24th, 2017

@blossombreathe

Thank you i really needed it