Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Nightmares and How To Manage Them!

blossombreathe April 18th, 2017

Hiya Everyone! laugh

Me and the lovely @ConnorSmith decided we would collaborate together and talk about nightmares.

Everyone has experienced them at some point in their life, some more than others. Were here to talk through techniques to help reduce the intensity of nightmares and manage them better. heart

Image result for sleeping nightmare

What is a nightmare? surprise

A nightmare is indeed a bad dream, with a vivid and disturbing plot that most often wakes the person from their sleep. They are usually based off of real life experiences, or portray a certain emotion a person could be experiencing in their day-to-day life.

Most nightmares occur during REM sleep, when your brain is the most active. Having a nightmare can occur repetitively, this is called a recurring nightmare.

~

The Imagery Rehearsal Technique:-

Imagery Rehearsal Technique is a good, well-known method in reducing the number and intensity of nightmares among people.

In IRT treatment, you are helped to revisualize your nightmares using a different perspective. The goal is to reprogram your nightmares to be less intense.

What Happens in Imagery Rehearsal Technique:

You can work with IRT alone or with the help of a friend. You do not need a professional to allow yourself to do this. (however, it may be beneficial for some)

~ Create detailed, non-frightening endings for nightmares.

~ Write down and rehearse with the new endings.

~ Monitor your nightmares so you know how well the IRT treatment is working.

You can start with one of your less terrifying dreams, to help build your confidence and prevent you from being triggered by the nightmares again as you wake up.

The main objective is to help you see your nightmares with minimum distress. You can think of it as a crawl before you walk approach.

@blossombreathes Personal Experience

Original:-

Im walking in an everlasting meadow, with the sky a beautiful browny orange. Im alone. I turn around and see a black silhouette of a massive tree, with a rope hanging from it. I run towards it, then the rope vanishes. The sky turns a menacing black and comes closer and closer, trapping me in.

New Version:-

Im in a meadow, during the afternoon. The sky's bright blue and Im with my friends. We are talking together and walking around. Theres a massive tree which we climb together. When we get to the top, we look out at a beautiful waterfall in the distance.

~ If you would like to collaborate with either of us, please do not hesitate to PM us! We really enjoyed working together. ~

Have you personally experienced several nightmares or recurring ones? You are not alone! Have you tried this method before? Did it work for you? Or, are you going to give it a go? Do you have any questions youd like us to answer?

Let us know!

Thank you for reading! We hope you are having a lovely day. laugh

Tagging:-

@allnaturalNight50 @Annaxelia @Anomalia @ApplePiney @Avram @BlissfulSummer @Brightheart993 @bunnypants @BurningEmber @colourfulSpring22 @DonaldK @EJGatsby @EllieKB @Emily619 @Emory20 @Erato @EssenceOfHope @freshHug78 @Fuzzyfiz12 @Glue @HarryBarry @HarveyM @imontheoutside @Isha2017 @Istand4peace @Jenna @JessSnow @Joe2017 @jollystrawb @juniperstarfish1 @KingAl @Laura @LittleLotte @Liv @Lucy @Lyra @Moj @No715 @OceansLove @Olala18 @PositiveLenaBanana @PuppyLove13 @RaCat @RideaRainbow @Roisin2016 @RosieGirl333 @RumpleSteeleSkin @sail46 @Sarra @sensitiveShade5337 @SettledBreathing @Starboxxx @sujaypai @TheHuggleMonster @TigressAalia @xDysonx @Yendi @ZizyTheTurtle @QueenAsphodel @AldrichHarrison

*this taglist will NOT be used again*

Helpful Resources:-

Calm - Meditation Techniques for Sleep and Stress Reduction

More Information on Nightmares

7Cups Sleeping Well Self-Help Guide

Nightmare Disorder

Dream Dictionary - Understand yourself!

Vent out your dream.

blossombreathe OP April 25th, 2017

@devu2001

Awesome, glad to know that this helped you in some way! Wishing you all the best, lovely. :3 heart

April 25th, 2017

Hehe, I actually had a nightmare last night! If only I read this then :3 well done, lauren!

blossombreathe OP April 25th, 2017

@Joe2017

Awh, sorry to hear that you had a nightmare last night! I hope that this technique proves useful to you in the future. Thanks for reading, lovely! Wishing you all the best. *huggles* :3 heart

GhostlyLilian February 9th, 2019

OMG

I've had nightmares every damn night from as far as I can remember. Most of them don't even impress me anymore. Last night I dreamed I was stalked by a putrified dead girl that jumped from heights breaking all her bones and than ran unnaturally fast to get me. Every time I fled, I saw this thing falling down from somewhere else and then running towards me. It was scary, but kind of cool to think about it. I have more problems with nightmares that are way more personal and disturbing

GhostlyLilian February 9th, 2019

Oh, right: 4-5 years ago, my dreams became more and more lucid, which means that I knew I was in a dream. So sometimes I'm able to try this strategy directly inside my dream.

Some info about dreams: often, especially if recurring, they are an attempt of your brain to process emotions or facts it can't make sense of and has a hard time coping with. So it tries to re-inact them. When the emotion is processed, by dreaming or in real life, the recurring nightmares should go away.

And that's interesting, because in my nightmares, although I know I'm in a dream and I try to make it go my way, I can't. Yep. Both because what I try to make happen doesn't happen, or because the situation that generates the emotion that has to be processed finds it's way to return in another way. It has to be processed, no way you're going to miss it.

For exemple: in the dead girl dream, I tried to make a good spirit appear, so that it would fight the girl, but nothing. It didn't appear or it lasted for half a second before vanishing. I tried to make the girl slow down: damn it, my dream my rules. She's got all her bones broken, it's not realistic that she can run so fast! But no way. She ran as she pleased.

But actually, in some dreams, I managed to make them end better, and what I did (I don't always remember this while I'm dreaming) was drastically reducing my fear of the situation, and becoming confident that I could manage it, instead of trying to change the dream. Two examples:

I dreamed that I found myself enlisted in the army, because a war was coming and we had to defend the front. Our division had army uniforms, guns that looked like toys and a transceiver that I didn't know how how to turn on. We were all recruits. When the enemy arrived, they blinded us with gas granades and then it was a massacre. I knew I was in a dream, and at one point I thought "what do I have to loose? Our commander clearly left us here to die, we have no hope to win, but I can try to lead a retreat and hope some of us will survive" that's where things started to go better. It was a mess, but I managed to escape with other 3 recruits. We were the only ones to survive, we stole some equipment and true weapons from dead enemies and we were walking in the woods, feeling stronger and talking about what to do next.

Another example: I was in a white empty room with Gollum. Yep. It could have ended so bad... I tried to look for an escape and thinking about a strategy to fight him, but then I though "I'm in a dream. How dangerous can be Gollum in a dream? In the worst case, I'll wake up" so I sat on the floor and greeted him. Next thing I remember, there were light gray branches on the floor, and I was trying to build a home, with Gollum, as you would do at the beach, talking nicely and trying to persuade him we were in a dream.

So I was thinking, when possibile, instead of thinking how to CHANGE the dream, couldn't we think about how to manage ourself in that situation, without removing the emotion we have to process? I found it way more useful. Just a tuought