Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anyone know secular meetings or support groups on zoom for depression?

KayJayVee May 3rd, 2020

Looking for secular based (non-religious/non-spiritual) zoom support groups for depression (and anxiety). Unfortunately religious based groups have the near monopoly for meetings I've found and at best they are "non-denomination" but those aren't helpful to me either. That being said if someone personally uses and mentions their spiritual beliefs as part of their coping and support, then awesome, I just don't and those perspectives have never helped my personal recovery.

funnyNectarine4075 May 24th, 2020

@KayJayVee

The NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) groups where I am have all moved online. As far as I know they are a secular group - none of the groups I've gone to through them have had any religious component. You can find your local chapter at NAMI.org.

A few of my friends attend meetings through SMART for depression/anxiety - it is officially an addiction recovery program but is welcoming to people working on non-addiction things (at least the chapter here is). They are a secular, science-based group. My local chapter is holding all of their meetings online right now.

KayJayVee OP May 24th, 2020

@funnyNectarine4075 Thank you so much for your help

Jem7Cups May 7th, 2020

@KayJayVee

Unfortunately I don't know of any such groups, but I think it's an awesome idea! laugh I hope you're well

Jem 🌼 (Anxiety & Depression forum supporter)